• 1 Post By jmoz
  • 1 Post By Lani
  • 1 Post By Lani
  • 1 Post By Lani
  • 2 Post By Frank II

Thread: Messenger Bag Packing Cube

Messenger Bag Packing Cube

We need a Messenger Bag Packing Cube.

It would be similar to the shoulder bag packing cube--with two clips to attach a shoulder strap--but much larger in size. Closer in size to the backpack packing cubes. It should be large enough to hold a Macbook Air. (In a cache, of course.)

At least one "o" ring, if not more, in each compartment. Dual zippers for on all openings.

While I'm no designer, I don't see why TB can't just take a backpack packing cube, remove the backpack straps and add two clips just like the shoulder bag packing cube. (which, by the way, is just too small for my liking or needs.)

I prefer hands free movement and like messenger bags over backpacks.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    We need a Messenger Bag Packing Cube.

It would be similar to the shoulder bag packing cube--with two clips to attach a shoulder strap--but much larger in size. Closer in size to the backpack packing cubes. It should be large enough to hold a Macbook Air. (In a cache, of course.)

At least one "o" ring, if not more, in each compartment. Dual zippers for on all openings.

While I'm no designer, I don't see why TB can't just take a backpack packing cube, remove the backpack straps and add two clips just like the shoulder bag packing cube. (which, by the way, is just too small for my liking or needs.)

I prefer hands free movement and like messenger bags over backpacks.
    Yes, definitely, this! I posted about this previously as the missing piece of the Tri-Star system for business use.... the response I got was "we'll let Tom know." Maybe that will resonate eventually?
    Lani likes this.

It could either be a vertical bag like I described when comparing to the Backpack Packing Cube or a "larger" Shoulder Bag Packing Cube for one more horizontal.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

It could either be a vertical bag like I described when comparing to the Backpack Packing Cube or a "larger" Shoulder Bag Packing Cube for one more horizontal.
    I would prefer horizontal. The backpacks as a vertical messenger bag would hang down pretty far....

You will find my recent "Yankee Airman" thread in this forum to be thinking along similar lines.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    You will find my recent "Yankee Airman" thread in this forum to be thinking along similar lines.
    MtnMan- I like your YA idea (as I mentioned in this thread), but in my mind (I can't speak for Frank II), this is an entirely different product. I envision this as something light and minimalist, like a packing cube shoulder bag or packing cube backpack. In other words, an "accessory" level purchase rather than a bag level. I'd pictured your YA as on the level of the Co-Pilot or Pilot. Did I misunderstand? If so, I'm happy to see either product come to market.

I do love the name Yankee Airman, by the way. Although it seems to me that it might be something a little, dunno, stodgy.

I've long wished for a "Packing Cube Messenger Bag" that's basically identical to the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag but in the larger dimensions of the Packing Cube Backpack. I often find myself wishing I'd have a very lightweight "briefcase shoulder bag" to carry into meetings and such that holds what the PCBPs hold, but that doesn't use backpack straps. I'd think the size adjustment should be relatively easy for the TB folks, too. Same dimensions as the PCBP but with the features of the PCSB, with the D rings (for the detachable standard strap) on the sides and a zipper along one length.
    eWalker likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Actually, this has been milling around in my brain: The horizontal one could be a bigger version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but a vertical one could essentially be like one of those "folding top purses" so you can carry it in full-length or half-length. THAT would require a bit more design work, but it would be the ultimate EDC for me, as I could expand it lengthwise by unfolding it. In handbag parlance those are called "foldover" bags.
    eWalker likes this.
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Actually, this has been milling around in my brain: The horizontal one could be a bigger version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but a vertical one could essentially be like one of those "folding top purses" so you can carry it in full-length or half-length. THAT would require a bit more design work, but it would be the ultimate EDC for me, as I could expand it lengthwise by unfolding it. In handbag parlance those are called "foldover" bags.
    eWalker likes this.

Interesting idea, but a lightweight shoulder bag the size of a PCBP strikes me as having two big design challenges. As mentioned above, the vertical orientation would hang quite low (3.5" longer than a 13" Ristretto). Maybe this could be addressed by the foldover concept proposed by Lani. Perhaps more important, though, is the potential for the whole thing be a floppy mess until there is enough stuff filling it. Since it would be unstructured and made of light materials, it would need something inside to give it shape while dangling from your shoulder or hand. Maybe a slightly smaller size, some piping, an interior pocket, and a magic trick with aligning straps could make it a more tidy package.
    > SIQUID WESTERN FLYER NON CAPIT, DOMI RELINQUENDUM EST.

Western Flyer (ballistic backpack), MCB (parapack/dyneema), Pilot (ballistic), Cache (6Z), Travel Tray, Packing Cube (WF large), Pouches (clear, dyneema, cork, padded, large, small, medium, mini, nano), Pocket Pouch, Absolute Strap (curved), Tri-Power Whistle, a bunch of Key Straps (8" and 16")

I have a bag similar to what I'm requesting from Tom Bihn. It's the Patagonia Lightweight Courier. It folds up into itself, is floppy until partially filled, and does a nice job.

However, there are some problems. It doesn't fit as snuggly as a packing cube would in a TB bag...and....more importantly, the shoulder strap. Not only is it non-detachable, but, the maximum length is only 38". That means if I want to wear it cross body like a messenger bag, it becomes an under-the-armpit bag. It rides too high.

A TB packable messenger bag, with detachable shoulder strap, would alleviate this problem.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0