Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MtnMan

Thread: The Yankee Airman - a new kind of convertible travel luggage

The Yankee Airman - a new kind of convertible travel luggage

This is an idea for a possible new travel luggage / EDC design for Tom Bihn. I've been inquiring about different existing Tom Bihn designs lately, and I thought I would throw this idea out there to see what people thought. I have a vague concept in my head, and maybe it wouldn't be practical, but I suspect it would. Here it is...

I've been looking over the Tom Bihn Co-Pilot and Pilot, as well as the Packing Cube Backpack and some messenger designs on Bihn's site. Each seems to offer possibilities and also offer some things that other designs lack. There is no "bull's eye" direct hit as far as "the right one".

In this video on Bihn's site, we see an American tourist named Chris packing and travelling to Japan with the use of a Co-Pilot and an Aeronaut. Chris actually packed the Co-Pilot in the Aeronaut itself, essentially repurposing it during his flight as a kind of packing cube, then re-purposing it again at his destination as his EDC (Everyday Carry) bag. I found this to be very, very clever. But I have to admit that shoulder bags are not my EDC-of-choice. When I think of an EDC, I usually think of a backpack. Not every EDC has to be a backpack, and Tom Bihn does provide other offerings as an alternative that can be very useful. Bihn's trick seems to be in combining messenger-bag designs with the Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap, or Q-AM Strap.

A shoulder-bag-as-an-EDC is severely lacking in one major activity: bicycling and motorcycle riding. To remedy this deficiency and to give a shoulder-bag-like YA some erstwhile backpackability, how about equipping the YA with a Q-AM Strap? It's not an optimal backpack arrangement, but it's practically closer than either the Co-Pilot or the Pilot would ever be.

So here's my idea, which I call the "Yankee Airman" (aka "YA"):

• A small, kind of cube-like bag, built very similar to the Pilot and/or Co-Pilot, so that YA can be purposed as a kind of convertible packing cube for travel.
    • Once at the destination, the YA could be repurposed, much like the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Packing Cube Backpack, Pilot or Co-Pilot, to serve as an EDC.
    • As with the Pilot and Co-Pilot, the YA contains a main compartment with facility for Cache-with-Rails; even if the YA is not used as the computer storage in-flight, it could carry a computer once it is converted to EDC use at the destination. (I imagine the cache might be stored/mixed in separately in the Aeronaut; there are many possibilities.)
    • The YA would be built-in Q-AM Strap support, so that it would lend itself to bicycle/motorcycle riding and improvised backpackability whenever needed.

Comments welcome.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I'm not sure about this. Mostly, it seems like TB could put the gatekeeper attachment points on the back of the P/CP and give them the ability to be used with the Q-AM strap. The CP is so small that to me anyway that would be overkill. I could see it being perhaps useful with the P though. At any rate, I doubt a whole new bag needs to be fabricated since the one you suggest doesn't seem to do anything different than the bags currently on offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

My Yankee Airman concept is, at its heart, a Pilot or Co-Pilot turned into a messenger bag with the application of a Q-AM Strap. Since Tom Bihn discontinued its Ruck's Sack backpack a few years ago, there hasn't been a really good small pack to take its place. The Synapse 19 is too large and expensive and the Packing Cube Backpack lacks the signature TB EDC sophistication. I see the YA as filling that void, even if it would be more expensive than the Ruck's Sack (if it were still in production).
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I have been thinking about this because I have been carrying my laptop, ipad, cables, and side effect in a LCB (tight fit, but it works) - and have been thinking I would like a more horizontal bag, but without a messenger bag "fold-over" nor a "briefcase" look. (not sure what that leaves...) The pilot might work, but I fear it may feel too structured/stiff for me. Seems like you might be on a similar track. But, my question - if you had a waist strap and Q-AM strap on the Pilot/Co-Pilot - would that meet your needs/requirements - or is there something else you are looking for on this (as-yet-mythical) bag?

Actually, that question is up in the air. Perhaps it should be re-phrased and posted here for the Bihn crew to consider:

Is it possible/practical/feasible to add the necessary waist strap/Q-AM facilities to the Pilot and/or Co-Pilot in order to facilitate its quick transformation into a bicycle-able EDC pack, and, would that be all it would take to satisfy the carry requirements/configuration of the Yankee Airman concept described above?

There seems to be a 1.5" Q-AM strap. Could you add a pair of the metal snap hooks (available on the Parts page), and a Tri-glide (likely available upon request) to do exactly that? I have to admit I don't 100% grok the Q-AM strap....

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    There seems to be a 1.5" Q-AM strap. Could you add a pair of the metal snap hooks (available on the Parts page), and a Tri-glide (likely available upon request) to do exactly that? I have to admit I don't 100% grok the Q-AM strap....
    Ah, on more looking, it seems like the missing link is the gatekeeper attachment point for the half of a waist belt? That seems fixable, but perhaps not a high priority. I like adding the attachment points, as they unobtrusive for those who will never use them.

If I read correctly, I believe we are trying to get a stabilizer strap to work with TB bags with no bottom attachment point - for better stability while bike riding or carrying in general with minimal shoulder strain. I did a bit of research a while back on how to retrofit a stabilizer strap to bags with no attachment point at the bottom.

I came up with 2 solutions:
    1) sew in a webbing loop at the bottom of any bag you wanted to attach a stabilizer strap. Most tailors should be able to do this. You then just purchase a TB 1" waist strap and a 1" Cafe/Ristetto Messenger strap
    2) use something like this: Manhattan Portage : Stabilizer Strap - it attaches to the the shoulder strap attachment point at one end and the shoulder strap at the other

I personally like the sewing a webbing loop but the second option is easier.
    I agree that it would be nice if future bags had the loops already sewn in to give people the option.

Cheers

^ Interesting options. Thanks for sharing.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0