It's Time For a Tom Bihn Tactical Garment Carrier

Title says it all !

What devices would it have to carry?

compact digital camera
    mp3 player
    phone

what else?

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Isn't a garment carrier like a garment bag, like for suits?
    Am I missing something here?

Tom - read me correctly- sorry for the ambiguity.
    The complete TB travel luggage line is pretty much complete - save for a garment bag and maybe some specialized occupational luggage. It would be great to see a TB styled tactical garment bag. Applying the ingenuity, ruggedness, styling, quality and practicality of the current luggage to a garment carrier - with special accomodation for laptop stowage (especially these days)
    Basically , I ditched my 'Old School' garment bags and started packing a suit in the Aeronaut, along with assorted other garments. Now I need to be able to pack 2 suits, a casual blazer and the rest of my gear- so I need a hybrid bag really a double sized folding Aeronaut?- call it the Catamaran. So far the best alternative I've seen out there is marketed by Blackhawk - its the 'CIA Garment bag'. A welcome addition would be hidden backpack straps as in the Aeronaut- and loosing the shoulder strap- which tends to be poor ergo for a bag that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn
    Isn't a garment carrier like a garment bag, like for suits?
    Am I missing something here?

heh.. I missed the "garment" part of your subject. I was picturing something totally different in my head.

cmc

SWAT?

Quote Originally Posted by emackn
    heh.. I missed the "garment" part of your subject. I was picturing something totally different in my head.
    Me, too -- I thought he was talking about a bag for SWAT fatigues, weapons, radios, helmets, and so forth. Isn't that "tactical gear"?

I work at Tom Bihn
    Perhaps we are confusing "tactical" with "tactile?" ;)

Practical Tacticals

These days I use the term Tactical generically to mean anything that supports TACTICS versus stuff that depends on happenstance, hope, prayer or accidents ;). The CIA Garment bag is very supportive of the needs of technologically dependent operatives. Operative is not only intended to mean "one who performs surgury" ( See also> Surgeon (Not Sturgeon- that's a fish) but also "One who acts in the course of a mission vesus one who is acted upon" ;).
    Tactical Luggage is what we all want- milquetoast is what we usually get- That's why Tom Bihn, Blackhawk, TUMI, Galls etc. stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Perhaps we are confusing "tactical" with "tactile?" ;)

I work at Tom Bihn
    Hahahah, excellent. I particularly like "Surgeon, not Sturgeon." I dunno, my dad fishes. =P

Yeah! I flyfish too but not for Sturgeon. Though when it comes to Sturgeon, it's the CAVIAR I'm after - which brings us to Vodka.. mine's Iced Stoli and you ? !!
    Hahahah, excellent. I particularly like "Surgeon, not Sturgeon." I dunno, my dad fishes. =P

I work at Tom Bihn

<3 vodka!

Vodka is my drink of choice (outside of work of course!! I'm not really picky.) I dunno how I feel about caviar though...
    Last edited by Nicole; 11-11-2006 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typos :(

I sympathize with your caviar sqeamishness. It's an aquired 'taste' oh heck- I really mean to say it's an aquired addiction. I learned it at age 7 or 8. I was the designated caviar garnish prep boy in our household. Sheesh wasn't this thread about a Tom Bihn garment bag? Look for my full review of the New Tom Bihn ID bag and Blackhawk CIA Garment bag in early December. They're going to be traveling partners over Thanksgiving travel. I just hope TSA doesn't hassle me too much this trip.
    Vodka is my drink of choice (outside of work of course!! I'm not really picky.) I dunno how I feel about caviar though...

Garment Bag (not food)

I also would like to see a Tom Bihn bag for a couple suits, shirts, and other needed sundries. I don't know about "tactical" or not, but it needs to be sleek, carryon, protect against wrinkles etc.

I like the look of the aeronaut, but most of my travel needs business atire, and that doesn't always do well in a duffel, even one so nice as the aeronaut

What do you mean by 'sleek' ? If the Blackhawk CIA Garment Bag was made of Crimson Color Ballistic nylon and sported the Tom Bihn Logo...now that would be slick enough for me ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Fannod View Post
    I also would like to see a Tom Bihn bag for a couple suits, shirts, and other needed sundries. I don't know about "tactical" or not, but it needs to be sleek, carryon, protect against wrinkles etc.

I like the look of the aeronaut, but most of my travel needs business atire, and that doesn't always do well in a duffel, even one so nice as the aeronaut

Smile Sleekness, defined

Sleek is for me a purely aesthetic preference, as in "free of unnecessary accouterments" or "neatly tailored" and perhaps "streamlined."

I own (and love) a Red Oxx bag, but I find their products rather rugged-looking: bulky zippers, taped seams etc. Great for safari, not what I want to tote into the board room wearing an Italian suit. I would say that every Tom Bihn product is sleek, from the neat seams to the smooth-zippers (particularly the splash-proof ones.) So that comment was mostly "keep up your usual standards on this design."

I would not say the Black-hawk bag is particularly sleek: It has lots of bulky pockets, latches, straps, buckles and handles sticking out, and some contrast trim along the spine. Compare all those stitched-on pockets to something like the Smart Alec: no comparison. Also, I'd hate to see TB just slap a logo onto a design without their usual thoughtful re-consideration of needs. All that said, the Tumi T3 Mode is pretty sleek-looking.

One of the biggest needs for business travelers (at least this traveler) is to keep clothes (mostly trousers, shirts and jackets) looking neat and wrinkle-free, and a garment bag is perfect for that. Additionally, I don't often multiple nights in the same place, so minimizing the pack and re-pack every day is pretty desirable; and again, a garment bag works well because you can just hang everything in there, fold it over and go. I saw one product (called "skyroll") that actually rolled the clothes rather than folded them, I don't know how well it works but it was intriguing.

Another consideration is the dirty-laundry-quandry. Plenty of products claim to have divided pockets to separate the clean from the dirty, but fail to grasp that, when you start your trip everything is clean, the next day you have a little bit of soiled and a lot of clean and so on, such that the relative proportions of the two volumes is constantly changing. Two fixed pockets don't cut it unless you start with one totally empty. Black-hawk seems to have addressed this with some sort of flaps, not having seen this I cannot really comment on how well it works. It seems to me that some a single pocket, with a "floating" divider and zipper access from two sides would let the proportion vary continuously within a constant volume.

In the interest of nudging the discussion along:
    Carryon size
    Shoulder strap and grab handles (carry it and get it out of the overhead)
    1 Jacket
    3 Trousers
    4 Shirts
    Extra tie and belt
    1 Pair Shoes
    4-6 sets Underwear
    4-6 pair Socks
    Toiletries
    Solve the problem of dirty laundry (at least the small stuff)
    Carry the big stuff wrinkle-free

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0