Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have a garment carrier, it's overhead bin size but it's really heavy, even empty, let alone full. It always goes from car to curbside checking.
    There are issues with the garment holding latch, it unlatches and my fancy clothes endup at the bottom of the bag when hanging it and the quality of the hanger head is not good.

I don't see how a garment bag can be kept carry-on size and light weight.

But... If somebody can figure that out, it's Tom Bihn's team.

The trick answer is it can't but, I learned how to purposely pack suits, shirts etc. to make them fit in the Aeronaut. Then it becomes a Garment Carry-on ! Seriously- some bags are designed to be bi-folds- that makes them much easier to manage than the larger mono-folds. The ideal Tom Bihn Garment bag could be a bi-fold. You also can't expect to pack as much in such a bag. Lastly, avoid Winter travel to Cold locations. That doubles garment volume!
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I don't see how a garment bag can be kept carry-on size and light weight.

But... If somebody can figure that out, it's Tom Bihn's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrnoid View Post
    The trick answer is it can't but, I learned how to purposely pack suits, shirts etc. to make them fit in the Aeronaut. Then it becomes a Garment Carry-on ! Seriously- some bags are designed to be bi-folds- that makes them much easier to manage than the larger mono-folds. The ideal Tom Bihn Garment bag could be a bi-fold. You also can't expect to pack as much in such a bag. Lastly, avoid Winter travel to Cold locations. That doubles garment volume!
    Mine is a trifold, so it fold to a carry on size.

I hear you about avoiding winter travel to cold locations! But... this garnement bag was purchased because we were visiting family members in Florida, Canada and Midwest, in the middle of winter from California

Soo hot, warm and cold weather clothes were needed both dress and casual.

A packing nightmare!

It was before I discovered Tom Bihn.

I think tri-fold has a lot of merit, so long as there are bolsters to prevent the folds from becoming wrinkles. Extra points if the bolsters actually pack things, like socks and underwear.

It's true that packing for cold weather is a constant problem. On a recent trip I visited Northern NY (snow) New York City (cold rain) and then Dubai, UAE (80 and sunny) It was an interesting pack job, and I loved lugging all that stuff with me to the gulf.

The trick I use is lots of thin layers. onebag.com has a great point that a lightweight silk long-underwear top packs lighter and keeps you just as warm as a much bulkier sweater, and breathes and wicks better too. For cold-weather business travel I layer over it a long-sleaved shirt, a light cashmere or blend sweater, a wool suit jacket and a decent overcoat (the ones from travelsmith are awfuly nice), gloves, hat and scarf, and I can operate in some pretty cold weather (assuming I'm not playing outside in it!) Also, the multitude of layers let me add or drop as weather changes, of if I go from inside to outside a lot. Yes, it's more bulky than packing for warm climes, but it's not that bad. Still need a way to get that suit there though...

If you enjoyed http://www.onebag.com. com, you'll love http://www.travelite.org/.
    Check this site out! BTW, I found Tom Bhin bags via onebag.com.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, thin layers also = more wardrobe options!

Onebag.com is great! The only thing that would make it greater is if Doug finally switches over to the Tom Bihn way of thinking/packing ;)

It's really quite a shame that the Travelite site has not been updated since Dec '03 though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0