Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Strap Tag End - Retainer Bands

I'm not sure what else to call them and please tell me if the subject has come up before.
    The Challenge:
    How to tidy up the plethora of loose strap ends that invariable flap around on our luggage, after we've cinched them down tight.
    Solutions:
    Several bags I've seen lately incoporate an elasticized fabric band that has the same effect as a watchband tag ring
    Use: simply slip the excess stapping under the elastic, folding it in if necessary- to result in a tidy and unobtrusive tag end management solution.
    Caveats:
    For situations that demand constant strap adjustment, these retaining bands shouldn't be deployed. However, in other circumstances they can really tidy things up in the excess strappage department - preventing the flapping in the wind phenomenon!

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    I know we used to use these things but they tended to break. I'll keep my thinking cap on for something better; the simple loop of elastic seems too low-tech, but maybe it's the best idea so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn
    I know we used to use these things but they tended to break. I'll keep my thinking cap on for something better; the simple loop of elastic seems too low-tech, but maybe it's the best idea so far.
    I just tested it on one of the two tag ends created by the Imago belt strap when not in use but closed and compacted. It works beautifully. The Best part is that if you need to lengthen the strap for use around the waist, it in no way prevents the excess strapping from simply pulling through to instantly accomodate.
    One key point is to make the gap in the elasticised band as close in width to 1" so as to accomodate the 1" webbing strap with no extra room for slippage. The inherit stretchiness is what holds it all in place once the tag end is inserted.

For some reason simple engineering can often be unimpeachable. Plus the cost of manufacture- well - almost nothing really ;) . I'll post pix later...

OK. Here's the 'shell' page with pictures of the Strap Keepers. The final report will not have these pictures, they will be posted in a hidden page for your perusal only - fellow Tom Bihn forum members. I like these keepers so much I'm dusting off my sewing machine to make them for all my loose straps.
    http://www.imagometrics.com/GoBags/TB_Imago.htm

I just messed up my sewing machine- so I'm sending elastic webbing to my seamstress for a dozen of these strap retainers. Any chance we'll see them as standard items in the future? I'm addicted to them now.