Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By setrombley
  • 1 Post By Spydermann

Thread: Padded grab handle on Large Cafe Bag

Padded grab handle on Large Cafe Bag

When on a trip that requires bringing a laptop, I like to use the Tristar as my main luggage and an LCB as my smaller bag. Since I can't comfortably wear a backpack strap for the Tristar and the shoulder strap of the LCB on the same shoulder for long distances, that means I often end up carrying the LCB by the grab handle. It would be easier on my fingers if the handle were Poron like the handles on the Shop Bags.
    123veo likes this.

Buy some Poron and tape it on. If you have my skills, it will be ugly but functional. If you have better skills, it will be nice looking and functional. Arrange the Poron on both sides of the LCB handle so most or all of the tape is on the Poron. This will minimize the sticky residue on the grab handle if you remove the tape.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Does the ultra suede padded strap wrap fit the lcb grab handle? It's very padded and cushy. If not, maybe one needs to be offered for padding all of those grab handles that lack padding, though, they won't be as nice as the built in handles due to thickness.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Have you tried those neoprene luggage handle wraps? They might be cheap enough to try....aesthetically they might leave a lot to be desired though.

The padded strap wrap is 10" long while the grap handle is about 7" long. So it won't fit without cutting it down.

Nli
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDel View Post
    Buy some Poron and tape it on. If you have my skills, it will be ugly but functional. If you have better skills, it will be nice looking and functional. Arrange the Poron on both sides of the LCB handle so most or all of the tape is on the Poron. This will minimize the sticky residue on the grab handle if you remove the tape.
    Would love to do so to pad the carry strap on my newish Synapse 19 - any reccs on where to buy a bit o' Poron?

Poron insoles for shoes are sold many places. Or google Poron sheet and then click the Shop for Poron sheet link. You will see listings for 12" x 12" sheets of various thicknesses.
    Last edited by JohnDel; 10-09-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Yes, yes, yes! Great idea, and I've long wished for this. I have carried as much as 20lbs of steel tools in my LCB, and unfortunately, when taking that load off my shoulder, the grab handle bit HARD into my fingers. Padding is a must!

That said, there is another idea that you can DIY that's actually quite easy and more durable than the taped-on or slipped-on handles: paracord wrap. Do a search for "cobra knot paracord handle" on youtube. Skip past the bracelets and dog leashes and you'll see some examples of how people wrapped the handles on their backpacks with 8ft. lengths of paracord.

You can buy paracord by the foot at some but not all Home Depot stores in multiple colors. Paracord also works great for "monkey fist" zipper pulls, etc.

Unless the paracord has the same elasticity and cushioning as Poron, there is going to be a durability versus comfort trade off. For hand lugging moderate to heavy loads, nothing I've experienced is as good and comfortable as my small shop bag.

Is paracord or something similar available in a small diameter that could be woven into a cover to put over the Poron ?

Yes, there are different diameters of paracord, indicated by how many fibers are in the core. The larger-diameter paracords are pretty soft when tied into handles, because they give more. The most common kind is about 3mm in diameter and has 7 cords.

But if you want to go thinner, you'll have to go with other kinds of synthetic ropes, which can also be bought by the foot at local hardware stores, including Home Depot. I don't find these other weaves to be as smooth to the touch as paracord, but if wound closely together enough, your hand will still be protected.

Nli
    Thanks, JohnDel and dchang0! I appreciate the suggestions as I look down at my palms: left palm looks pretty normal after carrying a loaded large shop bag to work today while right palm is very red from the abrasive S19 carry handle.

How to wrap a backpack handle with paracord ( tutorial Cobra stitch ) - YouTube

This is exactly how I wrapped my LCB, and for the same reasons. Works perfectly!
    Hollie likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0