Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Stuff I'd love to see from the folks at Tom Bihn

Quote Originally Posted by 123veo View Post
    Not sure if this is ok to post or not (delete if not Darcy), but I just ordered a mini-neoprene shoulder strap from Amazon that looks very similar to the absolute strap, but mini. It's called the OP/TECH USA Mini S.O.S. Strap.
    The clips don't appear to be nearly as robust and strong as the TB version.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    The clips don't appear to be nearly as robust and strong as the TB version.
    Yup: two major differences are the snaphooks (ours are heavy-duty, all-metal snaphooks. Made in U.S.A. to our specifications and double-plated with a matte black finish) and the webbing (ours is our own top quality U.S. made nylon webbing, which lasts and looks better longer than the standard polypropylene).
    Lani likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Salutations!

Sure,I'll repeat myself(in Morgan Freeman's voice): Please make a Steel Cordura®/Ultraviolet Dyneema® S25. Annnd...I 2nd gochicken's desire to possess a Pilot(in the same materials combo.).

Peace!

Edited because I can :P
    gochicken and RDR3 like this.

No doubt that it will be nowhere near as well made as the Absolute Strap, but I'm interested in the smaller size and weight. Will keep you posted!
    Lani likes this.

I would love to see a product alert option for backordered items. For example, I have been somewhat, ahem, compulsively checking the shop bags for Iberian to make a grand re-entrance (and it's back in stock today, folks!). I also routinely refresh the 'knit' page {which there is no direct link to from the forum, FYI} and was surprised to see navy/navy/solar appear in the Swift list... is this a sign of more Swift colors to come?!

I would love to see a tote bag in a size like the Swift, but with a zipper closure. I need something that can hold my 10.1" tablet, a Kindle, my wallet/passport, and a small knitting sack to use as a carry-on when I travel. I love my Swift, but I'm afraid to put it under the seat in front of me because I don't feel that the contents will stay put.
    Lani likes this.

@ Carole_D: I travel with the LS all the time on planes and I've never had an issue. You could also try putting the LS in the small shop bag (which I needed to do once to fit a sweater and snacks for during the flight), and that way it'll have more support and not dump over. If you want to go a step further...you could store everything in the LS inside of TB zipper pouches and use the straps for extra security. Even if they should fall out, they'll still be attached to your LS.

I should also add that TB makes serious zippers. One time, the zipper on my co-pilot ate a reusable shop bag (thank goodness NOT a TB bag). I had to cut it out, since the zippers are virtually indestructible. I'm fairly certain this is the reason the LS is zipper-free, so that it doesn't eat up knitting projects (for folks who use it as a knitting bag).

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    @ Carole_D: I travel with the LS all the time on planes and I've never had an issue. You could also try putting the LS in the small shop bag (which I needed to do once to fit a sweater and snacks for during the flight), and that way it'll have more support and not dump over. If you want to go a step further...you could store everything in the LS inside of TB zipper pouches and use the straps for extra security. Even if they should fall out, they'll still be attached to your LS.
    I'm sure it would be fine, but I'm a worrier and I'd spend the whole flight checking to be sure my stuff hadn't fallen out. TPACs and TATLs are stressful enough already!

@kkintea - good point about the zippers on the Swift and LS. Yarn can get caught on the zippers. I believe that's why they have a button closure.

The button closure on the Swift/LS is pretty secure and will keep stuff in the bag. Pouches and key straps help, too, especially with smaller items like keys.

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    A mini Absolute strap would be priceless for us short people . . .
    This. I use an Absolute Strap for my Western Flyer, and I've got it cinched up as tight as it'll go, and even that's too long. I've had to double-loop it, which was really tough to do (I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the cord through the adjuster).
    Hollie likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole_D View Post
    I would love to see a tote bag in a size like the Swift, but with a zipper closure. I need something that can hold my 10.1" tablet, a Kindle, my wallet/passport, and a small knitting sack to use as a carry-on when I travel. I love my Swift, but I'm afraid to put it under the seat in front of me because I don't feel that the contents will stay put.
    If you're using the full size Swift, the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag fits nicely in the bottom of the Swift, and can be secured with a key strap to one of O-rings in the Swift. Take a look at some of the pictures that Walker posted in the thread asking about the PCSB in a LS or Swift.

There's also a picture on a later page of the Going Marsupial! thread showing how one forum member secured the opening if a Shop Bag with key straps.

I thought dorayme had another post with a picture of the PCSB at the bottom of one of her Swifts, but I can't find it right now -- only her comments about using this configuration in a thread asking about using a Swift.

HTH
    moriond

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0