Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Small purse/backpack? Or purse with backpack straps?

Small purse/backpack? Or purse with backpack straps?

I'm so devoted to my TB bags, but I struggle with anything that goes cross-body. A cross-body strap is uncomfortable on my chest. I also tend to collect things throughout a day (two kids handing you stuff all the time will do that), so after awhile my bad gets heavy and my back hurts from the extra weight on one side. I've tried using my Little Swift, and while I love that bag, it falls over too easily and stuff ends up falling out.

What I REALLY want, oh Darcy, if you could pass this along I'd be SO grateful, is a purse/backpack. A small 8-9 liter or so bag that has light straps to wear as a backpack. Ideally it would have zippers all around so things didn't fall out. Perfect for a wallet, phone, and water bottle, and maybe a paperback book. Like the MCB but with straps that can go over your shoulders!

Is there anything like this on a future drawing board? :)
    S19 (black/uv), S19 (nordic/steel - my EDC), SA (nordic/steel) with upper and lower modular pockets - those things are gold, FJN (plum), FJN (pine), FJN (navy), SE (nordic/solar), SE (plum), SE (aubergine), SE (navy/iberian), CP (black/uv), CP (nordic), LCB (plum), MCB (plum), MCB (nordic/uv - a treasure in my collection! Dyneema geek), SCB (plum), Swift (cork), LS (cork), Imago (aubergine/hemp), CC (wasabi/uv), 2 dog leashes, and a plethora of pouches, cubes, tethers, etc.

Would a Synapse 19 in Dyneema work for you? It's lightweight enough that perhaps you won't mind having the extra 10 liters over and above the 9 liters that you asked for.

Alternately, I suppose what you are asking for could be to convert the discontinued 14-liter Buzz sling bag into a true two-strap backpack.

Another path to what you want is to add more pockets to the Backpack Packing Cube, but that bag has little structure, so heavy or bulky things will dig into your back.
    Last edited by dchang0; 09-26-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Ahhh - bring back the Ruck's Sac - it sounds like it would be perfect for this.
    Last edited by bunchgrass; 09-27-2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: add word
    Hollie likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    Is there anything like this on a future drawing board? :)
    I have heard mention of such a bag. In fact, it was mentioned earlier this week. ETA? No idea.... but, it's not out of the realm of possibility...
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

It sounds a little like what I've been wanting for carrying some water etc when walkin my dog on warm days ... My S19 is overkill for this job. Just need to carry water and a folding bowl, wallet, phone etc.
    List under construction ....

One can D.I.Y a Medium Cafe Bag backpack straps by using two Simple Straps, both clip of one strap affixed to one side of the Waist Strap, repeat on the other side, instant backpack straps.

3D Packing Cubes secured with the side o rings by Key Straps can be used as secure zippered pockets, one for each child and one for your stuff.

An alternative is to give each child, if big enough, a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, they are lightweight and easy to use as waist bags, cross shoulder bags (Indiana Jones/scientist explorers must have accessories) and with the same D.I.Y with the Simple Strap to transform them into mini backpacks.

Packing Cube Backpacks are also a lightweight, strong and easy to clean up alternative.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-26-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I have heard mention of such a bag. In fact, it was mentioned earlier this week. ETA? No idea.... but, it's not out of the realm of possibility...
    WOOT! I will keep my fingers crossed!
    S19 (black/uv), S19 (nordic/steel - my EDC), SA (nordic/steel) with upper and lower modular pockets - those things are gold, FJN (plum), FJN (pine), FJN (navy), SE (nordic/solar), SE (plum), SE (aubergine), SE (navy/iberian), CP (black/uv), CP (nordic), LCB (plum), MCB (plum), MCB (nordic/uv - a treasure in my collection! Dyneema geek), SCB (plum), Swift (cork), LS (cork), Imago (aubergine/hemp), CC (wasabi/uv), 2 dog leashes, and a plethora of pouches, cubes, tethers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    One can D.I.Y a Medium Cafe Bag backpack straps by using two Simple Straps, both clip of one strap affixed to one side of the Waist Strap, repeat on the other side, instant backpack straps.
    OOoooooooooooo! Hey, I'm liking that idea! Also it means that I need to get a new TB bag.....also I love the idea with packing cubes. I need more packing cubes.

Oh and I did try the Synapse 19, although not in Dyneema. I bought my Synapse before I knew how much I would love Dyneema. I could buy another one, but the 19 is just too big as a daily purse, for me. I prefer to have a regular purse that I can carry all the time, and then whenever I have a heavier load, I dump everything into my Nordic Dyneema Smart Alec and go. I still love my Synapse though, I use her for train trips, car trips, plane trips, as my personal item. Sometimes she has to fight a little with my Co-Pilot, which was my purse for a year until the strap issue because too much. If we could figure out how to jigger a backpack strap for the Co-Pilot, I would be in HEAVEN.

Okay I just checked the Medium Cafe Bag page - it doesn't look like it would work, or at least I'm confused on how it would work. You can't remove the shoulder strap, so that means I would have to carry two Simple Straps in my bag, and then hook this up every time I wanted a backpack, with the shoulder strap still flying around back there?

Yeah, that's a little too much DIY for me. :)

I had thought that the shoulder strap was removable, so you would just carry one extra strap, and do a quick clip-rearrangement when you wanted a backpack. I think I'll wait for TB to create a smaller backpack. I think it's funny how everyone is going nuts about the Synapse 25. I'd love a Synapse 9.

Okay I just checked the Medium Cafe Bag page - it doesn't look like it would work, or at least I'm confused on how it would work. You can't remove the shoulder strap, so that means I would have to carry two Simple Straps in my bag, and then hook this up every time I wanted a backpack, with the shoulder strap still flying around back there?

Yeah, that's a little too much DIY for me. :)

I had thought that the shoulder strap was removable, so you would just carry one extra strap, and do a quick clip-rearrangement when you wanted a backpack. I think I'll wait for TB to create a smaller backpack. I think it's funny how everyone is going nuts about the Synapse 25. I'd love a Synapse 9.
    I did a similar D.I.Y with my Large Cafe Bag during my first summer in northern Virginia, by the time I had my first summer in the South, I was very glad that Tom had designed the Packing Cube Backpack, I took it everywhere.

Using my idea of two Straps would be easier to do with the Co-Pilot because you can reuse the Strap that is there when the bag is cross shoulder.

I have to admit that all D.I.Y involving Tom Bihn Bags are clunky because Tom spend months, even years, brainstorming, designing, constructing, de-constructing, listening to The Crew, customers, friends and feeling societal trends to come up with the ideal design in one special niche.

Speaking of D.I.Y, I would be delighted to find out about the setup of your 3 FJN.

I did a similar D.I.Y with my Large Cafe Bag during my first summer in northern Virginia, by the time I had my first summer in the South, I was very glad that Tom had designed the Packing Cube Backpack, I took it everywhere.

Using my idea of two Straps would be easier to do with the Co-Pilot because you can reuse the Strap that is there when the bag is cross shoulder.

I have to admit that all D.I.Y involving Tom Bihn Bags are clunky because Tom spend months, even years, brainstorming, designing, constructing, de-constructing, listening to The Crew, customers, friends and feeling societal trends to come up with the ideal design in one special niche.

Speaking of D.I.Y, I would be delighted to find out about the setup of your 3 FJN.

You DIY the Co-Pilot into a backpack? I don't see how, there are no bottom rings or anything to attach the bottom of the strap too. What bag voodoo are you doing? :)

I LOVE my Field Journal Notebooks, so much so that I really have to keep myself from buying more and just creating this ridiculous FJN library. My blue one is for everyday lists and life stuff, and the purple one is a scrapbook, and the green one is my kitchen cookbook. I'll post a picture of that one. I also got another purple one for my 8yo daughter, who loves it.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Hi Hollie,

This might be something you've already though of and/or tried, but I'm wondering whether you've ever used a cafe bag stabilizer with your cafe bags? I've used one with my small cafe bag for cycling and hiking, and I find that it shifts the weight of the bag to my back & chest, and really helps to distribute the weight better, rather than just across one shoulder. I find that I have to wear mine very high across my chest, but it still works well for me. It's pretty small (even combined with the 1/2 waist strap), so easy to tuck away in your bag when not needed.

It's a fairly small investment (except for the shipping fees, unless you're ordering something else), but I think it's a great accessory that opens up more options for cafe- and messenger-bag owners.
    Hollie likes this.
    Aeronaut; Synapse 19; PCBP & other packing cubes; 2 x Little Swifts; Side Effect; 4 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 3 Travel Trays; 2 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Light; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D Organizer Cubes; 3 x small Yarn Stuff Sacks; 8 Clear Organizer Wallets; 6 x Clear Organizer Pouches; Padded Organizer Pouch; Pocket Pouch; #4 Knitting Pouch; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

Oooohhhhh! Hey, how did I not know about that? That's a great idea, Lara! I love it! Yet another great excuse to try the medium cafe bag. :)

Now if only this worked with the Co-Pilot......hey Darcy, is there a way to make that happen? If I brought in my CP, would it be possible to sew in those little tabs to the sides?

You DIY the Co-Pilot into a backpack? I don't see how, there are no bottom rings or anything to attach the bottom of the strap too. What bag voodoo are you doing? :)

I LOVE my Field Journal Notebooks, so much so that I really have to keep myself from buying more and just creating this ridiculous FJN library. My blue one is for everyday lists and life stuff, and the purple one is a scrapbook, and the green one is my kitchen cookbook. I'll post a picture of that one. I also got another purple one for my 8yo daughter, who loves it.
    Sorry Hollie, I don't have a Co-Pilot and did not realized that it had the triangle o-ring instead of a regular o-ring, it is too tight to clip both side of a Simple Strap.

On my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, I clip both clips of the really long Shoulder Strap/Key Strap on one O ring on one side and do the same with the o-ring in the other side.

I completely relate about the FJN, I alsmost bought a Steel one along with my Plum's and planned to use the Steel outside and the Plum for storage but... I love Plum so much I use it everyday.

However, if Tom plans to offer it in Steel or Nordic Travel Dyneema I won't probably be able to resist them. :)

Because I am a lunatic, I tried converting my SCB for backpack carry using S-biners (yes, I use these for pretty much everything, LOL). I clipped one side of each S-biner to the waist strap loop on the lower corners of the SCB and clipped the other sides to the SCB strap. With the SCB strap extended to its maximum length, it creates a workable backpack-like carry option in a pinch. It's hardly ideal, though, as the "backpack straps" do end up very short.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0