Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ms. Ferret

Thread: Organizer Wallet as interchangeable knitting needle case

Organizer Wallet as interchangeable knitting needle case

The "Top 5" thread reminded me of this.
    I have several sizes of Knit Picks interchangeable needles and cables. Last year I was looking for a compact (most of the cases I see are fairly big) way to transport them for travel and found that the neatest way was actually inside my neglected Cork Organizer Wallet:

Name:  wallet.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  185.6 KB

The front compartment holds needle tips, end caps, darning needle, mini crochet hook, and that tiny wire thing that gets used to tighten the join (OK, so I usually lose it and just use my earring). The fabric divider pockets hold the cables, coiled up and grouped by length.

All I need now is some kind of way to pair and label the needles, since they don't have sizes stamped on them, and I don't want to have to drag along a sizer. Any suggestions? Does anyone else use the Organizer Wallet to hold their interchangeable needles?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    All I need now is some kind of way to pair and label the needles, since they don't have sizes stamped on them, and I don't want to have to drag along a sizer. Any suggestions?
    I don't knit, but figure this problem is like trying to organizer cabling/wiring for electronics and other fun, manly OCD issues. Two thoughts you might want to try out:
    - Washi tape (basically very decorative Japanese masking tape in a multitude of colours and patterns; fun stuff)
    - Heat-shrink tubing (really cool thin plastic tubing that you can heat with a blow dryer and it will shrink to between 1/2 and 1/6th it's original diameter)

The former can look prettier if you're in to that sort of thing, but I don't know how well a layer of tape will play with your knitting work. The heat shrink tubing (if you get the right size) should be a really snug, non-adhesive based fit.
    Last edited by itsablur; 08-02-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

A small dot of the same color nail polish on matching needles would work...your local nail salon might even be willing to allow you to test a variety of colors on your needles. :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

I think this may work for a needle gauge that will easily fit!!

http://http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/080605_a.asp

I actually use a mini pouch for all my notions and have both of the Debra's garden needle sizers attached to the zipper. They make great zipper pulls!

Ooh, thanks all. I think the needle gauge/zipper pull idea might be the way I go. :)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0