Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Frank II
  • 1 Post By itsablur
  • 2 Post By photocat
  • 1 Post By SKIMT
  • 1 Post By dchang0

Thread: I'd like to see TB luggage

I'd like to see TB luggage

I need new a new luggage set. I'm looking for something light, with recessed inline skate wheels, in a nice color. I'm sooo sick of black. It's not easy to find. I bet TB could make an awesome set of luggage. I had a Sherpani set but even though it checked all the boxes, it didn't hold up well. Can you imagine opening up your bag to reveal 28" of UV Dynema? Or Wasabi? That would be so great.

In my perfect world - if I wanted anything I'd just trot down the road to the TB factory and get anything I needed ... for any purpose.

Sadly I'm half a planet away and the TB team only make a few things I need but somehow pretty much everything else gets compared to those few things - and is often found lacking...

I suspect that offering a tightly curated collection is a key part of making TB products so appreciated.

Daisy - who brightens the grey interior of her 25inch CHECK-IN bag with pouches and cubes ......
    List under construction ....

wrong forum.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    Sadly I'm half a planet away and the TB team only make a few things I need but somehow pretty much everything else gets compared to those few things - and is often found lacking...

I suspect that offering a tightly curated collection is a key part of making TB products so appreciated.

Daisy - who brightens the grey interior of her 25inch CHECK-IN bag with pouches and cubes ......
    I totally agree with you.

Tom Bihn making full sized wheeled luggage would be like Ferrari making a mini-van. Sure, it could be done, but it would just be wrong.

If TB did made the type of bag you want, he'd become just another player in a long line of bag manufacturers. Instead, he stands out as the maker of high-quality bags in a niche market.
    Last edited by Frank II; 08-03-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

You could always add a lightweight, collapsible luggage cart to your travel gear for those times you want wheels. One Bag has a good synopsis on luggage cats and why wheels in bags aren't a good idea for that kind of traveler/packer.

http://www.onebag.com/business-bags.html#carts

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I get where you are coming from. Not sure why there is such judgement about wheeled luggage as some of us just cannot physically carry bags routinely or long distances, even when "lightly" packed. After spending 6 months in physical therapy for a bum shoulder, I avoid that discomfort whenever possible. And some can pack much lighter than others for various reasons (larger people = larger clothing = more space; the need for medications or other medical type devices, etc. It isn't always "overpacking"). Everyone is different and has different needs and limitations. That said, as much as I like wheeled bags for larger capacity needs - I don't think I could see TB going into that space. Carry - on and smaller seems to be the best niche for him and he does it superbly.

Yes, it gets dangerous when a business begins to try to be everything to everyone. I remember when Samsonite used to be the pinnacle of quality, and look at 'em now. My last luggage before I got into TB was a Samsonite, and it literally fell apart within a few trips. If Tom does get into luggage, I pray that he keeps the product line trim and aligned with his philosophy and the company's overall size small enough to keep everything under control.

Perhaps what we need for those who need draggable wheeled luggage is another small brand similar to TB that specializes only in luggage.

I just ditched my wheeled luggage for some TB gear. My thoughts are if I ever wish to use wheels in the future, I'll just put the TB stuff on a portable collapsable luggage cart. There are lots of options for those available online.

I'm in agreement, don't go there TB. You have a great thing going. You got my business because of who you are and what you produce. Its obvious, because of your success, that those of us who use and promote your products are willing to pay the premium price for the premium quality. Please don't EVER change that business model.

I Wish

I wish that the Aeronaut "lid" was like this eBag TLS Professional Slim Laptop Backpack. I would love to have this organization feature on my Aeronaut. I realize it would involve 2 zippers side by side.
    Name:  TB0906_02b.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  352.1 KB

That IS pretty cool organization in that eBag bag. You might be able to accomplish what you need with a Freudian Slip.

Building the organizer into the Aeronaut goes against its design philosophy. The Aeronaut's supposed to be a travel bag, not a briefcase.

That said, I would definitely love seeing a modular insert solution be engineered into the entire TB catalog. Something that allows people to attach internal pockets of different shapes and sizes. I just recently bought a backpack from a well-known military supplier that provides standardized MOLLE attachment points. I can use MOLLE to attach a modular "admin pouch" on the front that was selected to suit exactly my small-pocket needs from literally dozens of alternatives from multiple makers. The MOLLE standard allows that sort of mixing and matching and customization. I chose this backpack as a replacement for a TB Large Cafe Bag (internal pockets great but don't fit my needs) and as a competitor to the TB Synapse (again, poor pocket design--the water bottle pocket on this other-brand backpack is segregated from all the other pockets, with no leakage danger).

TB could build a modular attachment system inside their bags and then provide the modules. It'd be possible for TB customers to build TB bags that perfectly suit their needs.
    xeres likes this.

I would buy an aeronaut size TB bag with 4 wheels. I like my tristar a lot, but when it's fully loaded and I have to carry it for long period of time walking or w/e it can get heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBaggirl View Post
    I need new a new luggage set. I'm looking for something light, with recessed inline skate wheels, in a nice color. I'm sooo sick of black. It's not easy to find. I bet TB could make an awesome set of luggage. I had a Sherpani set but even though it checked all the boxes, it didn't hold up well. Can you imagine opening up your bag to reveal 28" of UV Dynema? Or Wasabi? That would be so great.
    I'd argue that TB already makes an awesome set of luggage. Why does luggage need to have wheels? Suitcases didn't have wheels for years but that was luggage.

I agree with Frank II that I don't think it would be a good idea for TB. I'm not sure anyone CAN make a high quality wheeled suitcase. The twisting, turning, bumping, slamming, and sliding with moving rigid parts just sets you up failure of some kind. TB has shown that using good materials, design, workers, and methods will lead to an insanely long lasting piece of luggage when you don't add metal, plastic, or wheels.

I do feel bad for those who can't physically carry something like the Aeronaut but I think it would be better to use the Aeronaut with a separate collapsible travel cart than trying to put it all in a single bag.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Just yesterday sold my only rollerboard, a top of the line Andiamo Valoroso 22 inch. That was the last of my so-called luggage.

I'm very content to use The Tristar and Co-Pilot or a competitors high quality carry-on duffle bag.

I admire Tom Bihn's adherence to quality, minimalism, lightweight and carry-on capability.

Please Tom Bihn, don't change... just evolve a little if you want and make some things... better.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0