Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GrantJ
  • 1 Post By Darcy
  • 1 Post By GrantJ

Thread: Aeronaut Backpack straps

Aeronaut Backpack straps

Tom Bihn,
    I have never had a bad thing to say about your bags and have suggested them to everyone I know. But currently I am sitting in Munich train station waiting for my train down to Croatia and I notices that where the straps connect at the top is pulling out. I just started this vacation and I am worried about it lasting the trip. I brought my absolute shoulder strap but it gets a little heaving holding 11kgs. I would love to see a design change on this to make this bag more built proof.

A faithful owner,

Grant
    eWalker likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Whoa, that is definitely not supposed to ever happen. This isn't a design issue but rather (it sounds like) something went wrong in the construction of your bag. I'd recommend emailing us right away -- customerservice@tombihn.com -- and we can figure this out together. Sorry about that, Grant.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by GrantJ View Post
    Tom Bihn,
    I have never had a bad thing to say about your bags and have suggested them to everyone I know. But currently I am sitting in Munich train station waiting for my train down to Croatia and I notices that where the straps connect at the top is pulling out. I just started this vacation and I am worried about it lasting the trip. I brought my absolute shoulder strap but it gets a little heaving holding 11kgs. I would love to see a design change on this to make this bag more built proof.
    Got a picture? I was literally just wearing my Aeronaut in backpack mode trekking up to my parents' for the long weekend here in Ontario. I've noticed that a small area of the dyneema where the straps connect does pull out through the opening a bit, but that looked normal to my untrained eye. Are you seeing something more severe?
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Travel Tray (Iberian), organizer wallet (Wasabi), passport pouch (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Short Listed: Night Flight, Guide's Pack, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19, Daylight

Want: EVERYTHING.

Sorry for the delay but I haven't been able to find wifi at the beach. Haha. What I am seeing is the dynemma discoloring and the stitching showing a lot of strain. I am also seeing what looks like the dynemma ripping a little. I am trying to attach a picture but I only have my iPhone. I'll contact the customer service email as per Darcy.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First: thanks for the photo (and sending one from the beach no less) -- that helps a lot. And hmm: we looked closely at the photo and the only thing we can see is that there's perhaps just a little of the waterproof coating of the interior 200d nylon coming off due to the (normal) stress placed on that area of the bag. I can't see any tearing going on, or anything that I think would affect the performance of the bag, unless I'm missing something?
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

it kinda looks like that the dyneema is flaking off something, like a skin or fibres. strands of stuff.....maybe excessive heat and too much using of the backpack straps caused something to happen? i would not use the backpack straps 24 hours a day. it's really for those few minutes when you need to be in a rush to get somewhere and you don't want to have anything in your hands bothering you. like 90% of the times, the bag is held by its handles.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Darcy,
    Thanks for your reply! After traveling through Croatia and Italy the bag seems to holding up with out any additional damage to the dynemma and the water proofing. I'm leaving the warm weather behind and heading up to Ireland tomorrow. I have to say I never thought I would be able to go away for a month with a single carry on bag till I met the aeronaut - it is a fabulous design coupled with set of packing cubes and stuff sacks you can't go wrong.

Thanks again for the great customer service with this issue.

Grant

Glad to hear it. Keep us posted (about the bag and your travels).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0