Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By itsablur

Thread: iPad mini case/pouch

iPad mini case/pouch

I'd like to see a padded iPad mini case/pouch that zips closed. I think the one currently available has a flap that folds in, but I don't find that protective enough. Anything can happen (and usually does to me). I prefer my devices well protected especially when they'e bouncing around in my purse. And I'd like the zipper along the horizontal (the longest part) so it's nice and wide and easy to get in and out of. I'd also like a pony. :-)

A pony would be very nice, but practically speaking, I would like a new car......

I guess the argument against zippers is that they actually provide you less impact protection than the flap. Think about it... What is a zipper? A couple strips of hard plastic or metal. If your device in a pouch/case falls on the ground and lands on that zippered edge, what protection has it provided? Essentially, your iPad is hitting something just as hard as the ground. The flap, being more padded material like the rest of the body of the pouch would act as if the device fell on any other part of the pouch and pad its landing.

I thought the use of a flap was a little odd at first too, but this thinking did ultimately make sense. The least padded part of any laptop bag is always the area/side in which you insert the laptop, which is seemingly why side-entry laptop backpacks have fallen into disfavour...
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

acv
    Also the zippers have hard edges and can scratch your screens. The cache has no hard edges. I wasn't convinced until I started using mine a regular basis.

I completely understand TOBaggirl reluctance. When I had to transport two Apple iBooks for a move, I bought one Vertical Cache ancestor for my older laptop but a Vertical Brain Cell ancestor for the newer one.

Yes, I was afraid the Cache ancestor would be "flimzea", well... I was wrong.*

The Cache ancestor did an equally good job at protecting my older laptop for a fraction of the weight of the Vertical Brain Cell ancestor.

I almost regretted buying the Vertical Brain Cell ancestor but, it was very useful when I had to take the newer laptop at the Apple user's group meeting, a couple of towns away using public transport.

I tangled something on the cord and the laptop slid and landed like it was on the table, but on the floor, and the hd drive made a rattling noise, I wanted to make sure it was alright.

At the time, I only had a Brain Bag, a Large Cafe Bag and the Vertical Brain Cell ancestor. I believe I only took the Vertical Brain Cell ancestor and my Large Cafe Bag on the trek to the Apple user's group and it was a lifesaver.

However, when we travelled with the iBook, I took the Cache ancestor.

When luggage restriction became more stringent, I got a netbook for travel and bought a Vertical Cache for it almost immediately.

The netbook has needed a replacement battery and has lost a key but I use its Cache in my EDC to protect my iPad Mini in its Zagg Keyboard case.

Two days ago, I was at the mall to buy shirts for my husband, they were on sale.

I also got an iPhone and an Otterbox Defender case, not on sale. When my husband was setting up the phone at the Apple store, I went outside at a kiosk to buy the Otterbox.

Somehow, I fell for the "May I ask you a question/" scam and stopped just long enough to point to a store. In the corner of my eyes, I saw a second person sneak to my right, then tell the question asker it was time to go while shaking her head as in saying, no luck there.

Before the incident, I somehow made sure that all my Synapse 19 zippers were facing left, much of them hidden by the Large Shop Bag which played the role of the purse bag that day.

My Synapse 19 and most of my bags have Steel lining, the vertical netbook Cache is almost invisible inside the Synapse pocket, it allows me to slip the iPad Mini, in and out, without fuss.

* I have never heard of anyone or anything proving me wrong so many times and yours truly ending up being very happy about it.

Torontonians who own a Cache could meet up with TOBaggirl, she could try it and we would get to see pictures of TB bags having fun in Toronto!

Well backpack has convinced me! I'm making my one time order now (I've been *obsessing* over it for the past 48hrs trying to predict the things I may need cuz this is a one time purchase). I've got my list down to a Synapse19 in Navy/UV, 3D Cube in UV, 1 16" keystrap for the cube, and now Im fretting over the cache for my mini. Horizontal or Vertical? Horizontal speaks to me. I like my purses more long than tall, so Horiz makes sense. But the pouch in the main compartment of the S19 is more Vert. I think Horiz is going to win this battle. Now I really wish these cache came in colors. Black is soooo.....black. Would you believe Im having it all shipped to Buffalo? Im going to drive 2hrs to pick it up at my friends house. But I get to spend the day in Buffalo which I love, so its not a waste. I drive a Hybrid (Camry) so gas is being used at a minimum. Thank you for all your input.

I suppose it is too late to point out that an iPad Mini in a slim case will fit in a padded medium pouch?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    I suppose it is too late to point out that an iPad Mini in a slim case will fit in a padded medium pouch?
    Ya I discovered that. But all this scary talk about zippers got me thinking. So I ordered a cache for my mini. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0