Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By haraya
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 2 Post By PaulT00
  • 1 Post By TavaPeak
  • 2 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By haraya

Thread: Travel Tray, and an even bigger stuff sack? :)

Travel Tray, and an even bigger stuff sack? :)

Longtime lurker, here via Rav and finally saying hello! First, some praise. My gateway drug was the Yarn Stuff Sack (actually, a whole flock of 'em), and then I fell for the Travel Tray. I first took mine on a car trip last winter, and found it invaluable for keeping track of small essentials, particularly when four people are sharing a hotel room. Genius. I then found unexpected use for it while at home - a minor construction project on our second floor stirred up so much dust that I have been "house camping" in our living room for days. The Travel Tray shines at keeping my keys, phone, sanity etc. separate from Legos and monster trucks. So thank you, Team Bihn, for a simple and elegant solution!!

And now a few questions. I love the TT so much I gave one to my mom for Mother's Day, as she travels quite a bit more than I do (retired, has hubby with wanderlust). She seemed to like the concept right away, but I noticed that the cordlock was a bit stiff for her to handle - she has a touch of arthritis in her hands. I wonder if anyone's ever replaced the cordlock on a TB product? I thought I might see if I could find a bigger, brighter substitute at a gear store, and swap it out for her. I did show her that she could cinch it without having to use the cordlock, necessarily.

I also just placed an order for the small shop bag - in large part because I wanted a bigger stuff sack, as I have the biggest size of yarn sack, and even that's not big enough for one of my WIPs. I'm working on a baby blanket in worsted, am three skeins into it with three more to go, and it just barely fits. I'm happy to decant into the Shop Bag, but just wish that it had a drawstring top to keep everything clean and dry. Any chance an even larger Stuff Sack might be in the works? In Sapphire or Nordic, even? ;P

Anyhoo, thanks for letting me ramble! Team Bihn and all fans - have a great summer, and a great party tomorrow!!

I just LOVE this. I too think the travel tray is just the best. I now keep mine in permanent use on my night stand for sundries. And I've just ordered another one in solar dyneema, ostensibly For My husband. But if I think of another use For it, alas, he'll never see it. Thanx For the ideas.
    Monkeylady
    haraya likes this.

Thanks Monkeylady! Haha, I bought a second TT in solar as well, because that was the color I'd wanted but it wasn't in stock when I first ordered. ;) I may take the "extra" on our next trip - if DH likes the idea I can give it to him, but otherwise it works quite well for me as a(nother) portable yarn bowl. :)

But yes, the TT has totally saved my bacon during this house project - I carry it around the house because right now I have to shower in the basement, get dressed in the living room, etc.... so many places I can lose things, but with my bright yellow beacon I keep it all together! :)

ETA: And as for the giant stuff sack, I know I've seen a post calling for a Dyneema laundry bag! That might be a bit big for a WIP - okay, maybe an afghan-sized project - but surely there are many ways to use a big, durable, lightweight sack? As an impromptu backpack or market tote while traveling, or to carry on fragile souvenirs when headed home? Stuff sack for dirty laundry? Hmmm, maybe I need to consider one of the Packing Cube Backpacks as a knitting project bag! Eureka! :)
    Last edited by haraya; 07-18-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Last year my partner and I spent several months intermittently 'house camping' in my late father-in-law's house in Cornwall - about 3 hours drive from here - clearing it out and refurbishing it for rental. The travel tray was invaluable during that time - it became known as 'the podule'. :) We used it to carry all my partner's prescription drugs back and forth, to make sure nothing got missed or left behind. Being Solar, it was very eyecatching and difficult to forget, which saved us at least one multiple-hundred-mile return trip to collect essential bits left behind!

I've now got a second travel tray - one lives in my bag permanently (for actual travel use) while the original sits on my bedside table to hold *my* prescription drugs and assorted stuff.

The other thing I find incredibly useful is a couple of clear quarter packing cubes. They're compact, transparent on both sides, and hold a fair amount of 'stuff'. While we were house camping, all my electronic paraphernalia (chargers and the like) lived in one - probably saved my sanity. Now we're done with that fun and games, the electronics live in one (Iberian) CQPC and my grooming kit lives in a second (Solar) CQPC and the pair of them live in one end pocket of my Aeronaut on a permanent basis.
    A45 crm/stl TS nvy/sol A30 aub/was BB nvyP/stlP S19 nor/stl P nor/sol CP blk/stl; SE was CQPC ibrn, sol Ri aub/stl 3DCC crd TSS4 was K crd TT sol,nor,blk CC crd/stl PCBP sol PP nvy QK for,coy,aub + lotsa cubes!

Ah yes, prescription drugs!! (I'm glad you didn't have to drive back for those!!) The dust from the house project made me all wheezy (hence decamping to the living room), so I needed to keep my inhaler and all sorts of Rx in my Travel Tray. When it wasn't in the TT, I'd lose track of it. Lesson learned. :)

Great ideas about how to use the clear packing cubes. I've got a few on my wish list already. Hmm, why can't Christmas come sooner? I've already exceeded my Bihn quota for this month! :D

I'm taking my Travel Tray to a grad residency in a couple weeks, to use for dorm life. (Am I too old for this?) Taking the UV TT to shlep toiletries to the communal shower room. Debating whether I should take a wasabi TT to corral in-room stuff.
    haraya likes this.

Not too old For anything! Go For all of it!

Sitting in hospital waiting room all day today, waiting for hubby. Nothing serious, just short procedures with long gaps between. Experience is, of course, the best teacher. I'm thinking that I really could have used the extra TT today to handle all his whatnots instead of stuffing them all in various corners of My purse....And I need an Imago, too, so I ordered one 3 minuetes ago. Ha, ha. Hubby does NOT Get new solar TT when it comes....
    Monkeylady
    haraya likes this.

I'm sitting on my hands, trying not to order TT for each member of the family for our next trip!! (I do have some yarn stuff sacks that are empty at the moment, though - I can test-drive the concept with those first! :)

TavaPeak, go for it! (I was thinking that me schlepping my toiletries to and from my basement is a lot like toting my stuff to the dorm showers, except that the TT is way cooler than a plastic basket. :))

I had written a reply but it got eaten by the Internet? Anyway, great ideas for the clear packing cubes, I have several on my wishlist already! (And I'm glad the TT saved you from having to make a long round-trip! I started keeping all my Rx stuff in the TT - the dust from the house project was making me all wheezy, so having that close by helped me stay healthy. Another unforeseen benefit of using TB!)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0