Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
  • 1 Post By grumpy3b

Thread: Suggestion for Absolute Shoulder Strap

Suggestion for Absolute Shoulder Strap

The two loose strap ends of the Absolute Shoulder Strap (see Figure 1) really bug me because they poke into me, ruining an otherwise very smooth experience of carrying the Tri-Star. I finally shortened the strap end as much as I could be moving the buckles, and wrapped a velcro strip around the strap end to get it out of the way (see Figure 2). I recommend Tom Bihn include some sort sort of black clip or loop to deal with the poking straps in the future.

Figure 1
    Name:  strap1.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  22.9 KB

Figure 2
    Name:  strap2.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  73.9 KB

Have you considered ordering a couple "replacement" strap do-hickies from the "Parts" items on the, I think, accessories page of the catalog? You can then just slip them on past the existing hardware and control that extra bit of stap that way.

Here is the link:
    http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0560.html

I have run into this with some of my camera neck or bag straps and done the same thing only by buying up nasty looking used bags at thrift shops using old bags of my own to cannibalize parts. It really does work. Only now I see Tom's Gang has a way to order new parts...I like this a bunch because the darned bags last pretty much forever.
    Ranger likes this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see any do-hickies in the Parts items, but will keep an eye out for opportunities to obtain a pair that fit the Absolute Shoulder Strap or scavenge them off other bags.

You can also turn the sliders inside-out so that the flaps are on the outside of the strap...

I just got my first Absolute Shoulder Strap yesterday and was bothered by those "wings," too. I was thinking of getting a pack of Strapeez to secure them.

Strapeez - Unruly cables are no match for these handy straps - TOM BIHN

Here's a picture from ex.machina's flickr page that gave me the Starpeez idea.
    PBIA Medium Cafe Bag | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Strapeez will work. One of the velcro straps I used was possibly a Strapeez (the other being a velcro strip that came with an old cable). Last night, I played around with the straps such that the excess end is so short that it barely sticks out into me. Not sure yet whether I prefer this over the velcro solution.

Name:  photo-3.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  34.8 KB

Update: The making-the-strap-ends-super-short approach ended up not working for me. The hard strap cut into me during travel, so I lengthened the strap end back to normal, like in Figure 1.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0