Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The Zephyr (Smaller Empire Builder?)

I thought I saw a comment about Tom working on the design of a smaller Empire Builder a while back. Any news on this? I'd love to see one, as I'm sure many others would too. Probably something along the lines of a max sized 15" notebook fitting in. I don't think many would mind the thickness of the bag, but the outline can make it rather bulky- looking.
    Keep up the good work.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I have a prototype of the smaller Empire Builder that I will be testing this week. It's a really nice size, and it still has those great file dividers. I'll be using it with my Size 4 Brain Cell and 15" Powerbook. I'll let you know what I think!

Also: The smaller Empire Builder is Tom's top design priority right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it available in September.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Talking Sweet...

I recently got my hands on a 14" widescreen Asus W3J, and would love something well- built and protective to carry it, along with other necessities. The Current Empire Builder is tempting, but is a bit of overkill size-wise for me. (I know I'd end up carrying more than I need to all the time) I love the ability to access the main compartment without having to open a large flap. That, along with the dual handle design are what drew me to the Empire Builder.

I've seen some people suggest things like external pockets for water bottles or phones, and that Tom wants to keep a professional appearance to the bag. You could do something along the lines of the "hidden" stowaway mesh pockets for water bottles I've seen on some bags, or additional "add- on" pockets for the strap for phones or Ipods...

Just a couple ideas. I really hope you guys can get something into production soon. I could use a new bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy
    I have a prototype of the smaller Empire Builder that I will be testing this week. It's a really nice size, and it still has those great file dividers. I'll be using it with my Size 4 Brain Cell and 15" Powerbook. I'll let you know what I think!

Also: The smaller Empire Builder is Tom's top design priority right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it available in September.
    Sounds SWEET! Must have one!! One request, though...SAGE please! I would love this in Sage! Thanks!

Joy
    Any chance we could get some sneak peak pics of the new empire builder?

I'm crazy, but I want a larger one, I'd love an empire builder that would fit my Dell 9300 and a braincell for it.

Any news about when this may come out? I'm not sure that I'm ready to replace my imago with a different bag yet but a smaller empire builder is very appealing. Particularly if it fits my notebook. I'm pretty short and the brain bag is just to large for me to use on a daily basis.

Is there any possibility of making a smaller brain bag? I like it's design better than that of the smart alec.

Keep an eye out for the smaller Empire Builder in late October. Right now, it looks basically like a smaller version of the Empire Builder. There are a couple of design tweaks, but the overall aesthetic is the same.

A smaller Brain Bag is on the list of likely upcoming products.

And topperge -- You're not crazy! We get a lot of requests for a larger Empire Builder. Tom has thought about making one.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Those interested in the smaller Empire Builder should really look at the video about Tom Bihn that it linked in this thread:

Reviews and interviews from: The Bleeding Edge, OhGizmo!, NWSource.com

The smaller Empire Builder is shown and I even think that its name is announced. But that is only a small part of what makes this video worth viewing. I loved the factory tour and seeing how the bags are made. It is well worth watching!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy
    A smaller Brain Bag is on the list of likely upcoming products.
    Sweet! I'm eager to see this and the Ego.

I couldn't get sound on the video. Is the red bag that was shown in the video the smaller empire builder?

I hope so- I love the red color with the black back.

News on the Zephyr (smaller Empire Builder):

The design of the Zephyr (the smaller Empire Builder) is being finalized as this post is written. We will post preview pictures of the Zephyr soon (we'd like to take a picture for you now, but Tom is continually sewing, tearing apart, and re-sewing the current prototype to get the details just right for upcoming production of the bag.) The Zephyr is expected enter production in March or early April, and will be available for pre-order around then, too.

As originally conceived, the Zephyr featured all of the same features and details as the Empire Builder. Fortuitously, while designing the Zephyr, Tom reworked that front pouch to look even better, especially when it's full of your gear. Most importantly, the new front pouch design fixes the problem some of you have experienced of your Empire Builder: tipping over when there's too much stuff in the front pocket. The new design actually adds stability to the briefcase, sort of like an outrigger on a canoe.

Happily, both the new Zephyr and the next batch of the Empire Builder (due in late March) will feature this new pouch.

Aargh! I just got an Empire Builder. Oh well, mine doesn't fall over all the time (and I don't care that much if it does), and the bag is awesome.

How many cubic inches is the zephyr?
    I'm still hoping for a smaller backpack but the zephyr sounds like it might be perfect for helping me organize the paperwork I end up carrying around in a tote bag. Hopefully it will fit my notebook (size 4) which the imago doesn't.

Zephyr Specs:

19.4 liters /1200 cu.in.

Same height and width of the ID; 15.75 x 12 x 5.7"

The Zephyr will definitely fit the Size 4 Brain Cell.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0