Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79
  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6

    Smile No 'dis of the ID

    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I can see that happening. The handle on the ID is a compromise: people who want a mid-size messenger bag definitely want an exterior handle, but they don't want it to be so big or cushy that it gets in the way. The ID handle is designed to be comfortable for quick grabs and short distance walks, but if you like to carry a bag by its handles a lot of the time, the Empire Builder or the Zephyr are definitely better bags for you than the ID.

    Now that we have the Zephyr AND the Empire Builder, what kind of briefcase should come next? A really big Empire Builder? Or a different briefcase altogether?
    I meant nothing ill toward the ID. In fact, returning it was a tough decision as I knew I would have to wait several months until the Zephyr was available. It's build quality matched, no, bettered the descriptions I read on the site and in many reviews. It just wasn't the bag for my commuting style. I look forward to the Zephyr's release, and am just as happy that I've found “the” source for quality bags.

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9
    I guess it will be an ID for me, as I try to never, ever carry a bag by a handle. It's just uncomfortable. I also want a flap covering the main zip because I do get caught walking in the rain (like today, in Boston) even when I don't mean to. I find that bags that have top zips usually leak like a sieve through the zip, and that means wet stuff.

    I'm still wondering what it is that makes a bag a briefcase vs a messenger bag, unless it's just the flap.

    Steve

  3. #63
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,579
    Quote Originally Posted by bcfshops View Post
    I meant nothing ill toward the ID. In fact, returning it was a tough decision as I knew I would have to wait several months until the Zephyr was available. It's build quality matched, no, bettered the descriptions I read on the site and in many reviews. It just wasn't the bag for my commuting style. I look forward to the Zephyr's release, and am just as happy that I've found “the” source for quality bags.
    I know you didn't mean anything ill towards the ID. What you described as your experience with the ID is probably the same experience most people who want to carry a bag by its handle a lot of the time would have.

    The ID and the EB/Zephyr are just different types of bags. :)

    I'm glad you're looking forward to the Zephyr, and I will direct our factory crew to this thread to read your compliments on our quality of construction and materials.

    More pictures of the Zephyr soon...I promise!!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    middle of nowhere #2
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Tom did have to make the Zephyr slightly larger than originally intended so that it would fit the Size 4X Brain Cell (and thus the MacBook Pro 15.4") but it's not that much of a difference.
    That's good to hear. At first I was a little disappointed because it sounded like the Zephyr might not fit my MacBook Pro. Now I guess I should really decide if I want to get the Zephyr instead. I got my Ego a couple days ago, and I really like it, but I still have my original reservations, so it's just sitting there in my room for now. Oh, the decisions. :)

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6

    Talking Colors decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I know you didn't mean anything ill towards the ID. What you described as your experience with the ID is probably the same experience most people who want to carry a bag by its handle a lot of the time would have.

    The ID and the EB/Zephyr are just different types of bags. :)

    I'm glad you're looking forward to the Zephyr, and I will direct our factory crew to this thread to read your compliments on our quality of construction and materials.

    More pictures of the Zephyr soon...I promise!!
    Has Tom settled on the color options, yet? I'm hoping for a black/[black/steel]/olive combo. I've got a blue brain cell from when I ordered the ID, and think it would look nice with the olive.

    Just trying to get all things mentally in order.

  6. #66
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,579
    Quote Originally Posted by swduncan View Post
    I guess it will be an ID for me, as I try to never, ever carry a bag by a handle. It's just uncomfortable. I also want a flap covering the main zip because I do get caught walking in the rain (like today, in Boston) even when I don't mean to. I find that bags that have top zips usually leak like a sieve through the zip, and that means wet stuff.
    You can still use the Zephyr or Empire Builder, even if you don't want to carry them by the handles. There are shoulder strap attachment points on both bags for the Absolute Shoulder Strap.

    We use YKK splash-proof zippers on our bags that have exposed zippers, and, thus far, I haven't heard of any problems with rain water leaking through them. This doesn't mean you could throw your bag in a lake, but as an example, our typical Seattle rain shouldn't get inside the bags.

    Another difference between a briefcase and a messenger bag (in my mind) is that a briefcase is more likely to be designed to stand up on its own and have some kind of rigid, boxy shape to it. A messenger bag won't stand up on its own bcause it doesn't have that rigid, boxy shape, and therefore is more comfortable to wear when you're riding a bike, or walking long distances, etc. A messenger bag will probably have a removable (or not) waist strap, while a briefcase won't. Messenger bags might have features like exterior water bottle pockets or zipper pulls, while briefcases wouldn't.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  7. #67
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,579
    Quote Originally Posted by bcfshops View Post
    Has Tom settled on the color options, yet? I'm hoping for a black/[black/steel]/olive combo.
    Official Zephyr colors:
    Black/Steel/Olive :)
    Black/Steel/Crimson
    Black/Steel/Wasabi
    Black/Steel/Steel
    Black/Hunter/Steel
    Black/Crimson/Steel
    Black/Grape/Wasabi
    Black/Black/Steel
    Black/Black/Deep Blue
    Black/Black/Crimson (only five of these were made)

    These color choices will be narrowed down quite a bit in the next batch of Zephyr bags that our factory makes.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Now that we have the Zephyr AND the Empire Builder, what kind of briefcase should come next? A really big Empire Builder? Or a different briefcase altogether?
    At the risk of being redundant (I posted another topic on this), I would like to see a business travel bag/briefcase looking thing that is large enough for a 3 day business trip. I guess it would be more of a carry-on with some briefcase styling and features.

    Eric

  9. #69
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,579
    The Zephyr is now available for pre-order. And there's a bunch of new pictures and information on that page, including the volume, dimensions, and weight of the Zephyr.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2

    Smile

    Wow, this is truly exciting. While searching for a perfect laptop bag, I came across this website. I've been mainly thinking about Waterfield Medium Cargo, but it seems like the Zephyr is a clear winner here.

  11. #71
    CEO
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Posts
    242
    The final Zephyr prototypes have been winding their way through the factory over this past week. Lisa and Fong, our two lead seamstresses, have been giving me last-minute feed-back on the placement of every buckle, every zipper, every stitch, and they are at last satisfied that the patterns are ready for production. So am I.
    The Zephyr is a sweet bag: all the same features as the Empire Builder, squooze down a notch to a size both more accessible to smaller folks and more useful to those who simply have less stuff to schlepp.
    The Zephyr is worth the wait, I promise.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    The final Zephyr prototypes have been winding their way through the factory over this past week...
    The Zephyr is worth the wait, I promise.
    Tom, thanks for all the work on this. I've ordered one, as I suspect it'll fulfill my needs.

  13. #73
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    546
    My order is in! Can't wait! Thanks for all the hard work, Tom Bihn crew!!!

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    the near east
    Posts
    1
    I ordered my Zephyr, but I was surprised to see that it was only 0.3" x 0.35" x 0.7" smaller and 1.65 ounces lighter than the Empire Builder with 2/3 the capacity.

  15. #75
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitzu View Post
    I ordered my Zephyr, but I was surprised to see that it was only 0.3" x 0.35" x 0.7" smaller and 1.65 ounces lighter than the Empire Builder with 2/3 the capacity.
    It might not seem like a big difference on paper, but it is. The Empire Builder looks a bit ridiculous on me - like I'm playing dress-up - but the Zephyr is just the right size. :)

    I'll be very curious to hear what you guys think of it! We should soon be adding some pictures of TB staff modeling the Zephyr.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0