Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Only 1 day left in this week, Darcy :) Where's the pics?
    Still waiting patiently....OK, impatiently for the Zephyr.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mruseless View Post
    Only 1 day left in this week, Darcy :) Where's the pics?
    Still waiting patiently....OK, impatiently for the Zephyr.
    Here's one just for you! More pictures soon...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Looking Good

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Here's one just for you! More pictures soon...
    I like the proportions, can't wait to get my hands on one. Thanks for the photos.

-Brandon

Sweet!!

Thanks!

Beautiful bag. Can it be used with a strap or does it only have handles?

When can we find out color options and order?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrae View Post
    Beautiful bag. Can it be used with a strap or does it only have handles?
    Looks like same layout as the Empire Builder = the little circle in the upper right corner of the bag, seen laying on the flap is one of the attachment points of the strap, and the other is on the other side of the bag.

The size looks perfect for my daily work, and I already have an Empire Builder for those trips where I need a laptop.

Any idea of what the price will be?

Any idea of what the price will be?
    Not that much less than the Empire Builder. It takes almost the same amount of effort, time, and materials to make the Zephyr as it does to make the Empire Builder.

The Zephyr should be available for order sometime next week. :)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Briefcase vs messenger bag, or Zephyr vs. Id

The title kinda says it all - how will the Zephyr compare to the Id? Why should one choose one over the other?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by swduncan View Post
    The title kinda says it all - how will the Zephyr compare to the Id? Why should one choose one over the other?

Steve
    I'm completely new to Tom Bihn bags and am still waiting for my first to arrive, so this is purely my own opinion from reading about the two bags and seeing some pictures online.

That said, I suppose a big difference between the two at first glance would be that the ID is more of a messenger-style bag with a flap covering the main compartment while the main compartment on the Zephyr will be accesible without opening the flap. This means that the Zephyr has a "two-piece" handle, which some people seem to prefer because it feels more comfortable to them, and it also makes it easy to carry around a light piece of clothing, like a jacket, between the handles without having to open up the bag to put it away.

The other thing that strikes me as different between the two are the plastic dividers for the EB. This gives me the impression that the EB is more of a structured bag that is better suited for organizing papers and what not.

Other than that, I think the ID might have an extra pouch on the side under the flap - the Zephyr an extra zippered compartment on the flap. Oh, and the Empire Builder's back slot can be opened for stacking on roll-aboard luggage.

I probably haven't answered why one would choose one of the bags over the other, but I think that's mainly because they both look like great bags, so the decision may mainly be one of personal preference. They do seem similar enough that regardless of which you choose, either should be able to fill the shoes of the other - if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'll say again that I have never used either the ID or the Empire Builder, so this is all just observation and speculation. I'm sure there are plenty of others who can speak from experience about these bags. Personally, I am seriously wondering whether I should have waited and gotten the Zephyr. The more I think about it, the more I think it would be perfect for me, but....... argh... must... resist the urge.... can't spend $500 in one week on bags alone... ;)
    Last edited by jpong; 04-15-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swduncan View Post

Steve
    I'll add another difference, that was important to me. I had an ID bag, and loved the quality, but returned it and decided to wait for the Zephyr for the following reason. I found that carrying the ID by the handle, when fully loaded, the offset handle (a consequence of the flap design) caused the bag to tilt and rub against my leg as I walked. I loved the bag, and the size was better for me than the Empire Builder, but as I carry my bags almost exclusively by the handle, the leg rub was "the rub".

All that said, I am eagerly awaiting the official release of the Zephyr. If you've seen a Tom Bihn in person, you'll understand.

-Brandon

Darcy, what is the volume in cu. in. of the bag? I'm just wondering how it compares to the EB. In that picture the Zephyr doesn't look much smaller!
    Last edited by mruseless; 04-16-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpong View Post

Personally, I am seriously wondering whether I should have waited and gotten the Zephyr. The more I think about it, the more I think it would be perfect for me, but....... argh... must... resist the urge.... can't spend $500 in one week on bags alone... ;)
    You could always return your ID if you don't like it and get a zephyr instead. Just don't use your ID first.

Darcy, what is the volume in cu. in. of the bag? I'm just wondering how it compares to the EB. In that picture the Zephyr doesn't look much smaller!
    We should have dimensions, weight, and a volume sometime next week.

Tom did have to make the Zephyr slightly larger than originally intended so that it would fit the Size 4X Brain Cell (and thus the MacBook Pro 15.4") but it's not that much of a difference.

I'm about 5'5" tall, and I found the Empire Builder to big - it looked huge on me. The Zephyr is a perfect size for someone my height, but it also looks fine on someone Tom's height - 6'0".

Quote Originally Posted by bcfshops View Post
    I found that carrying the ID by the handle, when fully loaded, the offset handle (a consequence of the flap design) caused the bag to tilt and rub against my leg as I walked.
    I can see that happening. The handle on the ID is a compromise: people who want a mid-size messenger bag definitely want an exterior handle, but they don't want it to be so big or cushy that it gets in the way. The ID handle is designed to be comfortable for quick grabs and short distance walks, but if you like to carry a bag by its handles a lot of the time, the Empire Builder or the Zephyr are definitely better bags for you than the ID.

Now that we have the Zephyr AND the Empire Builder, what kind of briefcase should come next? A really big Empire Builder? Or a different briefcase altogether?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0