Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By zuyzuy
  • 10 Post By Frank II
  • 3 Post By jeffmac
  • 1 Post By julawils

Thread: Aeronout Dyneema vs Ballistic ?

Question Aeronout Dyneema vs Ballistic ?

This is the hardest thing ever. I keep changing my shopping cart because I never seem to be able to make a decision.

1. I decided to get a Synapse in Dyneema for sure.

2. I am getting an Aeronout as well. However, this is where the problem starts. The Black look sooo cool! And I like the fact that it is very abrasive resistant. I am scared Dyneema is going to seem 'weak'. and thin!!

What a pickle!! I decided to ask the community.

Anyone who has experience with the Aeronout that can chime in to help me decide prons and cons? ( i read only good thing about the Dyneema..)

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I have both in Steel colour. The ballistic one with steel lining and the 400d Dyneema has wasabi. I really love both, but if I could only keep one, it would be the Dyneema... I think! The Dyneema is definitely lighter and feels better, stows better on a plane and looks great. But, there's no definitive answer here because my Ballistic one is also a great bag that has done at least 50 flights with me and barely shows a mark. Why black though? Every bag in the airport seems to be black these days. If you don't want to stand out too much steel is great, but there are lots of other great colours too. Whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed!

I hope people here won't mind me mentioning this.....I did a review of the newer Dyneema Aeronaut with much comparison to the ballistic Aeronaut. It might help.

Gear Reviews: Tom Bihn 400d Dyneema/420d Nylon Travel*Bags - OBOW Blog - One-bag, carry-on, light travel tips, techniques, and gear
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Frank, for my money please post links to your reviews ANY time!

Yeah...because after reading it, I just put a steel dyneema one in my Wish List! Ooooooh yeah.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Thanks for re-posting that Frank. Having re-read it, I'm with you exactly! 4 choices, none of them wrong, all of them right, but different! I 'only' have three choices, not having the ballistic Tri-Star, but in my house my wife makes a bee line for the Tri-Star which is Dyneema and so I'm left with a straight choice between steel ballistic or steel Dyneema Aeronaut? OK so wasabi lining on the Dyneema beats steel on the ballistic every time, but, in the end, since the new Dyneema bags arrived in December, my favourite bag ever, my ballistic steel Aeronaut, hasn't been out of the cupboard.

Thank you Frank. That was an excellent review. Also thank you all for chiming in.

I went on 1 month trip last year with a Red Oxx SkyTrain and a MEI Voyageur bag. I tested between both of them.. and made a few reviews if you look around. Never the less that test... came with some pain!! And I swore.. next time.. to bring wheeled carry on!

I just quit my Online Marketing job San Francisco and decided to take 6 months off.

I'm already bored and decided to do some travelling and learning about filming my adventures. (if you guys have some camera suggestion please chime in.. I am thinking of getting the Sony NEX-6 or Sony RX100, which will be used mainly for filming)

This time around I'm going on island hopping in Asia, particularly Philippines.. I'm in Thailand now preparing for the launch. I'm also going on a motorbike adventure trip in AngKor Wat Cambodia..

Wheeled Luggage in these remote areas makes no sense to me. Sometimes, they stash your gear on top of a pickup roof etc.. and other times you have to walk a lot to get to different places. Also, weight is a HUGE factor I learned from my last trip.

I believe the Aeuronout has solution to a few issues when it comes to organisation. it can fit MORE WITH proper organization of electronics and frequently used items on the sides. With the other bags that was a problem. When you opened the zipper you had to deal with the whole load in there, plus the electronics that were squeezed out to the side of the fabric which made it POP OUT as well as make it exposed for damage. (If you burry gear in clothes and packing cubes, that is just one more step to get your gear).

Other issues would be my 15" Macbook Retina that i have to bring for Video editing. Doesn't matter what side you put the Red Oxx bag down Vertical or Horizontal.. The Laptop would clunk to the floor if I was not careful. And that was almost a VERY expensive lesson. (I have now secured a 'Best Buy' No Matter What Guarantee on my Laptop). With the Aeronaut and Brain Cell I should be be able to relax my nerves. Tom Bihn thought about everything didn't he?

And particularly the Red Oxx lost is shape when it got stuffed. It was like open a mouth full of food... and things just fell out when you opened it. The so called strongest zipper in the World was also being 'difficult' some times.. and you needed some momentum to open it.

So, if I wanted a camera out. I needed to stop what I was doing. Put the bag down a place where it was not wet or dirty. Hold one part of the zipper with my left hand and drag the zipper handle with the right hand. Then, look for the 'treasure'.

So I ended up carrying an additional gear bag to deal with this problem. Which defeats the purpose of One Bag Travel Right?

With the Aeroneout I believe you can swing it around and open the little zipper on the side when you are in motion!!! Voila!!!

I sold my Red Oxx bag and are giving Tom Bihn a chance. (Also, I don't want to look like a backpacker with an original framed backpack. You get treated VERY different in Asia if you look 'proper' dressed)

My plan was to stash the Synapse in the Aeronout to use it for short excursions.

I'm leaning towards getting the Dyneema fabric due to the weight. But, I must say.. on the picture the Black Ballistic 'kills' the Dyneema. But I know that can change once you hold it and use it.

I will keep you guys informed on whats going on!

Again Thanks a bunch!!! This is the best product forum I've been on. It's seems very open. I think a lot of manufacturers don't allow this, which to me is a sign that Tom Bihn stands behind his products.
    Last edited by zuyzuy; 02-08-2013 at 09:20 AM.