Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rain Cover for Brain Bag

Just trying to keep the request active.

We need a real rain cover for the Brain Bag. If this is going to be used as a commuter briefcase, it is going to get wet in rain showers. When you are standing on the train platform, there is no place to go.

I know Tom agrees it's needed, it just a case of where in the priorities. So it's been a couple of years since my last request, so I'm posting again!

Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Just trying to keep the request active.

We need a real rain cover for the Brain Bag. If this is going to be used as a commuter briefcase, it is going to get wet in rain showers. When you are standing on the train platform, there is no place to go.

I know Tom agrees it's needed, it just a case of where in the priorities. So it's been a couple of years since my last request, so I'm posting again!

Bernie
    My older Brain Bag seemed to have a thicker internal coating that looked waterproof, but which is missing in the newer Brain Bag.

Can someone confirm if the Brain Bag used to be more waterproof in previous incarnations?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The fabric (1000d Cordura) used to make the Brain Bag still has an interior and exterior waterproof coating. There are often slight variations of the waterproof coatings in different dye lots of fabric (that's just the way it works) but there's not enough difference to affect the overall water-resistance of the bags.

And on the rain cover: we hear you. No details, but there's actually one (or the beginning of an idea) in the works.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I have 3 Brain Bags in Cordura, 2 have seen a lot of weather including East Coast Snowmaggedon, West Coast cold rain, Southern and Midwestern torrential summer rain and sprinkle to blanket snow.

I put clothes, books, computer(s) in my Brain Bags and I have never had a problem.

Check the pictures of the Brain Bag on flicker, they and their owners go everywhere, including Antarctica.

From the Brain Bag page: "The exterior of the Brain Bag is made of 1000 denier Cordura®; the lining is 500 denier Cordura®. Both fabrics are coated on the inside with urethane for water resistance and treated on the outside with a durable water-repellent finish, or DWR. Note that over time these surface treatments can wear, leaving your bag and its contents more exposed to rain and snow than you might like. Nikwax is designed to replenish the exterior water-repellent finish. It is also recommended as an extra precaution for your new Brain Bag if you intend to use it in extremely wet environments. Nikwax is environmentally friendly and is not tested on animals."

The key to make sure stuff don't get wet, in any bag, is to make sure the zipper gap faces downward or sideways, this is extremely easy to do on the Brain Bag, besides the Brain Bag has those ingenious flaps to cover the zippers.

Now, if Tom is working on waterproof cover, may I reiterate the -need- for yours truly to have a raincoat and a matching one for a future canine. ;)
    Last edited by backpack; 12-31-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Mountainsmith makes pack rain covers in three or four sizes that they sell as separate items.

Mycra Pac makes women's water resistent coats in many sizes.

Canine wear I know only by what I see passing me in the street.

dlg
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDel View Post
    Canine wear I know only by what I see passing me in the street.
    The only brand you need for doggy gear is Ruffwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The fabric (1000d Cordura) used to make the Brain Bag still has an interior and exterior waterproof coating. There are often slight variations of the waterproof coatings in different dye lots of fabric (that's just the way it works) but there's not enough difference to affect the overall water-resistance of the bags.

And on the rain cover: we hear you. No details, but there's actually one (or the beginning of an idea) in the works.
    Thanks for the info, Darcy!

aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Sea to Summit makes Ultra-Sil ones that are light & packable:
    Sea to Summit - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear

Size small would fit the Brain Bag I am guessing. I have a bunch of stuff sacks of the same material that work well... but can't compare to Dyneema of course!

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I put clothes, books, computer(s) in my Brain Bags and I have never had a problem.
    But you are not carrying that special report with hand written notes in pen that you have to give to your boss. One drop of water ruins the whole thing. I've tried everything from storing the zippers down, making sure the covers are in place, retreating the bag, etc, and it is still not a high probability that you won't get a drop or two of moisture inside while your standing on the train platform in driving rain.

Darcy, I'm glad to hear you guys are considering something!

Bernie

I have used the Sea to Summit SN240 Ultra-Light Siliconized Cordura Pack Cover (Small) with my Brain Bag for the last several years. It works well.

Bump as a reminder that this rain cover is wanted!

Dear Mr. Bihn,

This note is from a fan who recalls having recommended you folks to the good people at EDC Forums where your firm has in the time since become a sponsor, and where your products have moreover in the time since been receiving very positive reviews.

Please take the same into consideration when considering my having made this bump to this thread my first post as a new forum member, with additional input being that I am quite tired of cleaning the Anchorage sand off my Brain Bag after bicycling about town during the recent spate of rain.

Michael

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Noted, Michael, and welcome to the Forums. Tom is still talking/sketching rain covers, but I don't yet have an ETA on them.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I'd +1 one this... only for my synapse 25 ;) The brain bag is too big for a daily commute.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0