Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By yeb90
  • 2 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By Franco
  • 1 Post By rlandis

Thread: Bigger Synapse Please!

Bigger Synapse Please!

I know that many others before me have requested a bigger Synapse, but I figured it couldn't hurt to add my own request. I have had my Synapse around a month now and I love it! I love the way it's organized, for most of my needs it is the perfect size, and it is the most comfortable backpack I have ever carried. However, there are times when it just isn't big enough. On the occasions where I need to carry more than the Synapse can handle I am forced to carry a different non-Tom Bihn backpack. :(

Before I got the Synapse I thought that this bag was pretty comfortable and nicely organized. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I have been spoiled by my Synapse and yesterday when I used it to travel home for the weekend I found extremely uncomfortable and horrifically poorly organized. Unless a Mega-Synapse (perhaps that's what Darcy's teaser picture is, although it doesn't look like it to me) is debuted soon I may give the Brain Bag another try. I tried it out a couple of months ago, but found the straps uncomfortable. To tell the truth though, I had originally had the same problem with the Synapse I wasn't wild about the where the Synapse's straps lay on me and felt that they kind of cut into my arms, but I loved the rest of the bag so much that I decided to keep it. I have since gotten used to the straps and they no longer bother me so I have a feeling I would get used to the Brain Bag's straps as well. It looks like I have some thinking to do!
    Janine likes this.

yeb90, I too would like one a tad larger. The perfect bag would be aubergine and would stand up on its own.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

+1 for touch bigger, both in height and pockets (width works for me). Also, if the o-rings could be moved to the side with the pocket (away from the back) that would be ideal (or maybe in addition to). If I put my 13" MBP in the bp (or anything tall and flat against my back) I have to take all the pouches out, put in the stiff item, then put the pouches back in. Otherwise, they lump against my back and make for an uncomfortable ride. If I could clip the pouches to the side with the pocket, then I wouldn't have that problem and loading would be much faster/easier. Right now something as silly as the o-ring placement is keeping me from loving the Synapse. That and the side pockets being narrow even for a small OP (I feel like I have to fold the OP a bit to get it in).

I agree 100% with both of you.

Moi aussi!!!!
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    yeb90, I too would like one a tad larger. The perfect bag would be aubergine and would stand up on its own.
    Moose
    Yes! A supersized Synapse that stands up on its own! Please!

(It doesn't have to be Aubergine but it would be sweet if it was. :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Where do I pre-order?
    Lani likes this.

For people who have a long enough torso, the Brain Bag is a terrific, supersized Synapse!

As a matter of fact, on the forum discussions about a smaller than Smart Alec backpack, I used the Brain Bag as a benchmark for talking about the design of the small backpack now known as the Synapse.
    because

I have both bags when I look at them I see the kinship an it is no wonder they both came from Tom and the Crew imagination, sense of design, first class sewing experience and unbeatable commitment to quality.

I am going to paraphrase Tom, he says that he wants he bags to be highly useful and pleasant to look at.

A bag which is bigger than the Synapse and not as big as the Brain Bag is the Smart Alec.

I know that it is a very different design but it can be customized in a way with the Freudian Slip and Pouches.

I first I had lots of trouble with my first Brain Bag, which happened to be my first TB bag, I learned that Tom and the Crew design bags to be comfortable when carrying stuff.

They do feel awkward when empty, I had the same feeling that the straps were cutting into my arms (and bumping into my girls in an annoying way) but everything fell into place when I loaded up the bag with stuff and much to my surprise, it felt ok, even loaded with 2 iBooks.

It is my trip and big carry backpack!

For yeb90 and any other person who think of getting the Brain Bag or any other Tom Bihn Bags, try it on indoors with all kind of (clean) stuff inside so it stays in pristine condition.
    Walk with it (if you have a mansion, you can do an indoor marathon) or just do chores or settle on the couch with the things you want to carry then pack, try on, adjust each shoulder strap, try the Waist Strap on and off, looser or tighter.

A smart thing to do, (I didn't think about it until I made a couple of trips with my Brain Bag, doh!) is to find the right balance between the content and the Side Compression Straps. It makes the load even better to carry.

I just read that the Side Compression Straps can be used to tuck a raincoat, a hoodie or a yoga mat!

I bought my first Brain Bag in late 05/early 06 and I still learn something new about it everyday.

2 of my Brain Bags are evacuation bags, permanently packed with important papers and change of clothes.

One becomes my EDC, if I have a book heavy class or I am travelling.

The Brain Bag is just as great as its smaller sibling, the Synapse which is my EDC,

I would love a larger Synapse...nowhere near as big as Brain Bag.
    --------------------------------

Smile Bigger Synapse

A bigger Synapse would interest me, too. I have a Brain Bag, but honestly, it's not my favorite bag. I don't have a long torso, so it's not an ideal fit for me. I would like a Synapse that could fit my 15.4" Macbook Pro (non retina display) in a cache. I like the design of the Synapse, the splash proof pockets, and the water bottle pocket. The bag I use the most, when I'm not carrying my laptop is the Imago. I love this bag, but a backpack alternative that I can fit my laptop in would be nice, too. Thanks for listening. :-)
    Super Ego Steel/Wasabi, Horizontal Brain Cell 4, Horizontal Brain Cell 4Z, Imago Steel/Cayenne, TriStar Steel/Solar, Brain Bag (Black), various Clear Organizer Pouches, Clear Organizer Wallet, Snake Charmer, Vertical Freudian Slip, Horizontal Freudian Slip, Vertical Brain Cell 4Z

Quote Originally Posted by tommylane View Post
    A bigger Synapse would interest me, too. I have a Brain Bag, but honestly, it's not my favorite bag. I don't have a long torso, so it's not an ideal fit for me. I would like a Synapse that could fit my 15.4" Macbook Pro (non retina display) in a cache. I like the design of the Synapse, the splash proof pockets, and the water bottle pocket. The bag I use the most, when I'm not carrying my laptop is the Imago. I love this bag, but a backpack alternative that I can fit my laptop in would be nice, too. Thanks for listening. :-)
    If we are all patient, we've already been told that there will be a revamped Synapse.
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    If we are all patient, we've already been told that there will be a revamped Synapse.
    Sounds good to me. I can be very patient.
    Super Ego Steel/Wasabi, Horizontal Brain Cell 4, Horizontal Brain Cell 4Z, Imago Steel/Cayenne, TriStar Steel/Solar, Brain Bag (Black), various Clear Organizer Pouches, Clear Organizer Wallet, Snake Charmer, Vertical Freudian Slip, Horizontal Freudian Slip, Vertical Brain Cell 4Z

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0