Really want Empire builder but it has a HUGE flaw

Folks, I love the empire builder. I am torn between this and the timbuk2 Command messenger. The major flaw that it has is that front placement of the shoulder strap buckle. There's no way to easily open the flap with the bag over your shoulder as the attachment point blocks it. Guys, can you move that attachment point to the top or out of the way?

Also I love on the timbuk2 that they have a power cord compartment on the bottom of the bag that is accessible from the outside. My power cord is the most often stuffed into any compartment and it just messes up things. That seems like a sensible place to put it.

I have the EB, and I have not experienced the problem you are describing. You can open the front flap while the bag is over the shoulder, because the attachment point (buckle) is sewn at the seam where the top of the flap meets the bag.

For what it's worth, i own multiple Tom Bihn and Timbuk2 products. When I was looking I had it narrowed down to the Timbuk2 Commute, Timbuk 2 Command, and the Empire Builder. I really liked some of the features of the T2 bags, but their build quality just isn't there (except in the classic messenger, which is indestructible).
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Agree with MagicTiki's post...I don't see how having the bag hanging on the strap interferes with unbuckling the clasp and lifting the front flap up. The strap isn't in the way unless you mean that you can't completely flip the flap over [atop the handles]. But this is not something that people generally do with any messenger-style bag when the the bag is hanging on the strap.

Are you being influenced by conejo23's 'review' post?

Quote Originally Posted by robster View Post
    Folks, I love the empire builder. I am torn between this and the timbuk2 Command messenger. The major flaw that it has is that front placement of the shoulder strap buckle. There's no way to easily open the flap with the bag over your shoulder as the attachment point blocks it. Guys, can you move that attachment point to the top or out of the way?
    Last edited by Filmbuff; 10-25-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Unlike most messenger bags, to access the main compartment of an EB you use the zipper. Most items kept under the flap would seem to be reach in, get it, you're done. I have gone back to my early 80's EMS bag so I don't have to deal with a flap. and haven't pulled the trigger on an EB...

Must be why they make more than one bag.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0