Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By Tlacltme

Thread: Love my Ristretto for iPad!

Love my Ristretto for iPad!

Hi Guys,
    I'm a new member of the forum. I currently own one Tom Bihn bag, a Ristretto for my iPad. Actually, it's now for my iPad 3. I've upgraded my iPad, the new one fits perfectly in the bag, but there's absolutely no reason to change the bag.

The Ristretto's just perfect. I own other bags but I rarely use them. Everything I need fits into the Ristretto so nicely. In fact, I keep finding new things to carry in it and the Ristretto just swallows the new items with no problems. It's just perfect.

I just purchased my first Apple laptop and I'm trying to figure out which Tom Bihn bag I'll be using to carry it. There are a lot of good possibilities and I'll be checking with you guys to help me make my decision.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by ErinS View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm a new member of the forum. I currently own one Tom Bihn bag, a Ristretto for my iPad... I just purchased my first Apple laptop and I'm trying to figure out which Tom Bihn bag I'll be using to carry it. There are a lot of good possibilities and I'll be checking with you guys to help me make my decision.
    Hi, Erin! Welcome to the TB Forums! Lots of happy folks here who love their wonderful TB bags.

I, too, have been using a Ristretto for iPad (Steel/Iberian). And, I also use it for my iPad 3. I usually keep the iPad in a Marware C.E.O Hybrid case (in red, of course). Even with the case, the iPad fits perfectly in the Ristretto. I also keep a Kensington KeyFolio Pro (bluetooth keyboard/case) in there. And the black hole inside the Ristretto (as in all TB bags) just keeps going and going!

So, the Ristretto is working out great as my main murse. (Darn spellchecker keeps changing nurse to nurse).

For my 15" MacBook Pro, I've been using my wonderful Zephyr (Cardinal) for years. It's a nice, solid tight design. Very professional looking. I had been using a Waterfield sleeve, but then I purchased a Brain Cell to hold the MBP in the Zephyr. Since I do Apple consulting and teach computer tech and photography, I needed something larger to accommodate the MBP as well as a multitude of other gear. So, during this My Summer of Tom Bihn, I purchased a Super Ego (Black/Forest/Cayenne). After about six years, I still use the Zephyr (looks brand new) for client meetings. The Super Ego for real work.

So, welcome again to the Forums, enjoy your bags, and keep an eye on both your wallet AND the UPS guy!

Regards,
    Sandro

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Hi Sandro,
    Thanks for replying. I've been looking at the Zephyr but I'm not sure about the size. I have a hard time estimating what a bag will look like size wise in the flesh, so to speak. The Zephyr and the Empire Builder both look great, so it's fair to say I'm torn. :)

Zephyr versus Empire Builder

Quote Originally Posted by ErinS View Post
    I've been looking at the Zephyr but I'm not sure about the size. I have a hard time estimating what a bag will look like size wise in the flesh, so to speak. The Zephyr and the Empire Builder both look great, so it's fair to say I'm torn. :)
    Hi, Erin
    The Zephyr and Empire Builder are practically identical with respect to features (pockets, material etc). However, the Empire Builder, at 22.5 liters, is the bigger brother of the Zephyr, at 17.5 liters.

If you have the 13" or 15" MacBook Pro or the MacBook Air models, no problem at all for either bag. Be sure to use a sleeve, though, or better still, one of Tom Bihn's Horizontal Brain Cell which clips right into the bag and can be used as a separate laptop carry sleeve as it has handles and clips for a strap. If you go with the Horizontal Brain Cell, be sure to size it correctly.

Both bags also have these stiff, padded sides that make them very solid and professional-looking. Additionally, there are some stiff dividers inside for papers and files. I ended up removing these (easily done) from my Zephyr as I rarely use papers anymore. That bought me a little extra space.

While I have used my wonderful Zephyr for about six years, I have needed to carry more tech stuff with me over time, and found that it was a tad small with respect to depth. In retrospect I would have done better with an Empire Builder from the start, but I don't even know if that was available six years ago.

I recently purchased a Super Ego, which is even larger (a whopping 27 liters) and works great for all the "stuff" I need to carry in addition to my MacBook Pro in the Brain Cell and my iPad in a Tom Bihn Cache for iPad.

You will need to examine your needs. Either bag will have no problem with your laptop and iPad, but you need to analyze how much else you want to carry. Don't hesitate to call TB Customer Service if you need guidance.

Oh ... and one more thing ... no matter which bag you order, be sure to specify the Absolute Shoulder Strap for the extra $20 (when placing the order along with the bag). You won't regret it. It's the best, most comfortable strap in the luggage industry!

I know it's tough deciding which bag ... but it's even tougher waiting with great anticipation once you pull the trigger and place your order. It's called the TB Anticipation Syndrome... there's a whole thread on this malady elsewhere in these forums.

Best,
    Sandro

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Erin, TB has so much to choose from that would accomodate your laptop. Could you give us a little more information about what else you would want to carry along, what bag style you prefer (briefcase, backpack, messenger, tote, casual or professional, business traveler) and we can make recommendations from there. A few things I have observed:
    1. TB bags hold more than you think (which you have learned with your Ristretto)
    2. TB bags are designed so well, they seem to work well in different applications (parking cube for gym, stuff sack for lunch, travel tray for knitting, etc.)
    3. TB bags are like the famous chip, you can't stop with one (in fact almost as soon as the first one arrives, we find there is usefulness for another)
    4. TB bag owners are very knowledgable about how the bags work and function so their tips are useful and valuable (I came to TB looking at the Swift for my knitting, but over time, others have joined the herd mostly due to recommendations from others helping me to see how the bag would work out for me)
    5. TB bags are made so well, and from such high quality materials, they last and last, through use, abuse, and more.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Erin, TB has so much to choose from that would accomodate your laptop. Could you give us a little more information about what else you would want to carry along, what bag style you prefer (briefcase, backpack, messenger, tote, casual or professional, business traveler) and we can make recommendations from there. A few things I have observed:
    1. TB bags hold more than you think (which you have learned with your Ristretto)
    2. TB bags are designed so well, they seem to work well in different applications (parking cube for gym, stuff sack for lunch, travel tray for knitting, etc.)
    3. TB bags are like the famous chip, you can't stop with one (in fact almost as soon as the first one arrives, we find there is usefulness for another)
    4. TB bag owners are very knowledgable about how the bags work and function so their tips are useful and valuable (I came to TB looking at the Swift for my knitting, but over time, others have joined the herd mostly due to recommendations from others helping me to see how the bag would work out for me)
    5. TB bags are made so well, and from such high quality materials, they last and last, through use, abuse, and more.
    I LOVE that you just compared TB to chips! So funny! And so true (or for some of us, more accurately, chocolate!)...
    earth5 likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0