Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: thoughts on upsizing the Co-Pilot

thoughts on upsizing the Co-Pilot

A number of airlines have begun to be more stringent on the sizing of personal bags which passengers are allowed to take on-board. I've booked a flight with Lufthansa in Dec and their size limit on personal bags is just under 32" max.

Surprisingly [after doing a lot of online research], there are not a lot of choices for durable travel bags that are near the higher end of this range, eg. 28-32" maximum. At ~25", the Co-Pilot easily falls under the limit, but I can't help thinking that if the Co-Pilot were sized a little larger...I think 13x11x6 would be perfect, it would not only win over more potential customers as a personal bag option, but it would also be in tune with the needs of today's traveler. Modern laptops are now either 16:10 and 16:9 form factors and at 12", the Co-Pilot is not able to accommodate the current generation of ultra-portables and ultrabooks.

I'm still fixin' to buy a co-pilot this coming week to pair with my Aeronaut for the trip, but I would love to see if TB will either upsize the co-pilot slightly or introduce a modestly larger version. I've looked at most of the other bags that TB is making (with the exception of the messenger bags) and the next larger travel/briefcase bag that is larger than the co-pilot measures about 35"-36" if I recall.

In the meantime, keep up the good work...Tom Bihn bags are addictingl! I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Synapse in the very near future.
    Last edited by Filmbuff; 09-22-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Have you looked at the 15/13 Cadet, which is quite similar to the Co-Pilot? It's about 33", but it looks very trim and compact - I doubt Lufthansa would notice.

I did consider the Cadet, but it's a little too minimalist for a personal carry bag and prefer the greater flexibility of the compartment layout and the bottle holder option on the Co-Pilot, plus the Co-Pilot gives you a 1/2" more space in width. I would gladly trade an inch off the [Cadet's]height and put it towards the width.

Besides eventually getting a Synapse for a day-pack, I'm thinking of a Zephyr to replace my work-bag. A slightly smaller Zephyr...trim 3" off the length and such a bag would fill both duties as a work and personal travel bag. :-)
    Last edited by Filmbuff; 09-22-2012 at 06:34 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tom's designing a Pilot bag, which will roughly be the dimensions you listed. Stay tuned!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Darcy, we really need a "Love" button!

Very exciting! Now for the suspense and waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Tom's designing a Pilot bag, ... Stay tuned!
    O.M.G. !!

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Tom's designing a Pilot bag, which will roughly be the dimensions you listed. Stay tuned!
    Sweet news indeed! We'll be a-watchin' and a-waitin'. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Filmbuff View Post
    A number of airlines have begun to be more stringent on the sizing of personal bags which passengers are allowed to take on-board. I've booked a flight with Lufthansa in Dec and their size limit on personal bags is just under 32" max.
    I don't know that Lufthansa has "begun to be more stringent," as Europe-centric airlines have always been more stringent with their carry-on size. And one thing American airlines don't do is have stringent restrictions on the weight of carry-ons. Virgin Atlantic is a good example... most of us aren't used to traveling with just 6 kilograms for our carry-ons, for example.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Arooooogah!!!!

(Lani does the eyeball pop).

WE'RE STAYING TUNED!!

... funny how Darcy always manages to tease us, so we all wind up sitting at the edge of the seat all the time!
    moriond likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I don't know that Lufthansa has "begun to be more stringent," as Europe-centric airlines have always been more stringent with their carry-on size.
    You're right, Lani. Many of the Euro-centric have been more apt to enforce their limits on carry-on luggage size and weight.

My thread centers on personal carry-ons, which while not subject to weight restrictions, are limited to size though I haven't [yet] seen too many passengers asked to gate-check personal carry-ons which were oversized. Then again, I'm not a frequent flyer so my sampling rate is pretty small. :-)

I would love to see TB make a slightly larger version of the co-pilot at around 31"-32" linear inches to maximize its usefulness as a personal carry-on, much like the Aeronaut is sized to meet the current maximum size on carry-ons for most airlines. A slightly larger co-pilot would also make it an attractive alternative for those looking to use it as a work-bag, etc while not impairing its ability to fit under airline seats.
    Last edited by Filmbuff; 09-25-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Look what happened the only evening I forgot to check the forum before bedtime!

WooooW! Pilot!

As much as Iove my current EDC pair Synapse/Large Shop Bag, I realize it is too casual for advocacy/non-profit volunteering in a work environment and meetings with stakeholders.

I have found a way to dress up my wardrobe and can use my Large Cafe Bag but housing my FJN and a Large Pouch as paper holder mini brief.
    With an iPad or an Air and I don't know if I will have the enough space left over for my stuff without removing the present organizing configuration which includes the CQPC in addition to various color coded Pouches.

Ideally, I would love to transfert my casual setup from the Synapse which include all of the above plus the indispensable Lifefactory Bottle and some snack items.
    A space for the Small Shop Bag and a windbreaker, which I always carry because one never knows when a downpour or a chilly building is around the corner would also be welcomed.

A windbreaker designed by Tom would be fabulous, especially if it is in Dyneema, the stylish nylon.

I have studied a possible Co-Pilot/Cadet pair for that purpose.

I played with the Co-Pilot last year and it rocks as a stylish purse on my big 5'7 frame, made in Aubergine and my fingers has big trouble not dialing Seattle.

I haven't seen the Cadet in person but its lines are made to be paired with the Co-Pilot.

A Pilot announcement is really, really exiting especially with Aubergine. :)

I
    Last edited by backpack; 09-25-2012 at 11:35 AM.

OH
    MY
    GOOGLE

Please say it will be available in Aubergine/Wasabi. Please oh please!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

By upsizing the co-pilot, would it handle a 15.4 MacBook Pro? Or is it still basically an iPad bag??
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    By upsizing the co-pilot, would it handle a 15.4 MacBook Pro? Or is it still basically an iPad bag??
    It depends.. we aren't sure exactly what size/dimensions Tom will choose to make the Pilot.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0