Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By phreaker

Thread: Bagwards thinking?

Bagwards thinking?

Bagwards Thinking: Using your bag as a constraint on the things you get/use, instead of the reverse.

Example:

So, my previous laptop was, an 11" MacBook Air. One of the criteria for getting it was: It must fit in the bag I am using.

Well.. that bag died, and I got an Empire Builder. So now the 11" Air was small for the bag, a friend happened to make a good offer to me on it...

Turns out a Retina MacBook Pro fits quite well, in the EB, though I do remember feeling a bit sheepish as I grabbed on of the Apple Store rMBPs and tested that it fit. Can't really get a laptop that won't fit the primary bag you are going to carry it in!

My thinking was/is: I carry the same size bag regardless. I might as well get the laptop I want inside it... No use in "wasting space" :)

(And the rMBP is about the same thickness as the air.. so not much space lost... a bit above the air, but I'll live, really.)

Any other "bagwards" thinking people have shown?

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I sometimes do this with my LS. I only NEED to carry around the equivalent of what a Side Effect can manage, but I manage to bring the contents of my of what I'm carrying up to 50% of a LS on a regular basis just because I have the space. I'm not complaining though. The LS ain't heavy, and when I do need to bring along or hold something extra, there's almost always room to shove it in. Lastly, I prefer the look of the LS. It helps me feel put together.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Oh yes yes yes. That's part of the reason I don't own a Brain Bag. I would carry way too much stuff and twist my ankle getting off the bus. When my husband was in the hospital, I limited what I took with me to what I could fit in my Swift. It required creativity and some soul searching about what I "really" needed to take with me. A larger bag would have been too big and too heavy to carry.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I sometimes do this with my LS. I only NEED to carry around the equivalent of what a Side Effect can manage, but I manage to bring the contents of my of what I'm carrying up to 50% of a LS on a regular basis just because I have the space. I'm not complaining though. The LS ain't heavy, and when I do need to bring along or hold something extra, there's almost always room to shove it in. Lastly, I prefer the look of the LS. It helps me feel put together.
    Yes, but this means that when I carry around my Little Swift I can also slip in real books instead of a Kindle.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, but this means that when I carry around my Little Swift I can also slip in real books instead of a Kindle.
    and my knitting, and my iPad, and the kids iPods and Rocky's sunglasses, and a handwoven shawl. . . Usually not all at once, but I could if I needed to.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Quote Originally Posted by bunchgrass View Post
    Oh yes yes yes. That's part of the reason I don't own a Brain Bag. I would carry way too much stuff and twist my ankle getting off the bus. When my husband was in the hospital, I limited what I took with me to what I could fit in my Swift. It required creativity and some soul searching about what I "really" needed to take with me. A larger bag would have been too big and too heavy to carry.
    Bunchgrass, you need a Synapse!

Lately, I have been carrying mine with the Large Shop Bag and it is perfect, especially in hot weather.

I also own Swifts (for needlewok and yarn holding) but one of them was used as my main bag before I got the Synapse.

One Swift was also used with a Large Cafe Bag in matching color to achieve heavy duty library runs on public transports.

While I love my Brain Bags, the Synapse is definitely the premier errand bag.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-13-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0