Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: Where is the Tom Bihn makeup bag?

JLE

Smile Where is the Tom Bihn makeup bag?

Lani's post about flying with makeup and an older thread, started by Conejo23, that got onto travelling with makeup brushes, got me thinking about what a TB makeup bag could look like.

I see two products in this potential new line, both built as variants of existing TB products. The first, smaller, concept would be the same size as the 3D clear organizer cube but it would be made entirely of Cordura or Dyneema/nylon. It would be a very simple zippered pouch with one interior pocket for storing brushes separately from makeup. It would come in Azalea, Sapphire or Wasabi, or UV Dyneema.

The second, larger, concept would be the same size as the clear quarter packing cube. It would look the same as the clear quarter cube on one side - i.e. a single compartment with a clear front panel. On the other side it would have no clear panels and the large flat panel would have long narrow pockets mounted on it to hold brushes. Same colours and materials as the smaller concept pouch described above.

Or maybe a makeup roll that has a hook at one end to hang it up? Hmmm, more food for thought...

[/end girlish daydreaming] :)

I use a medium OP for all of my makeup and a pencil/pen OP for my brushes. Right now they are just clipped together, but I could easily fit the pencil OP inside the medium along with my makeup when traveling. When flying or travelling on business, I have a small OP that I use for makeup that has just the essentials and no brushes. I got the idea for the separate OP for brushes from those threads you mentioned.

Volunteer Moderator
    You guys do know that the Kit started its life as a cosmetics bag, don't you? Try mouseover view d on the product page, and read the insert at the left hand side of the page for Tom's comments on how that bag came into being.
    Lani likes this.

JLE
    No, I didn't know that backstory, actually! I should have realized Tom would have it covered.... :) I tend to steer clear of pouches with that tapered shape, so I've never really looked closely at the Kit. Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to use the space at the top of tapered pouches efficiently, and I also find it hard to pack them efficiently in a bag like the WF/TS. I usually look for something that is more rectilinear.

I had to laugh at this thread title!

The pen/pencil organizer would work for most brushes but I use a big kabuki foundation brush that doesn't sit well in a flat organizer.

Let me give this some thought as to what I'd like to see in a makeup bag. Of course, it would need to be compact. That's a given.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    No, I didn't know that backstory, actually! I should have realized Tom would have it covered.... :) I tend to steer clear of pouches with that tapered shape, so I've never really looked closely at the Kit. Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to use the space at the top of tapered pouches efficiently, and I also find it hard to pack them efficiently in a bag like the WF/TS. I usually look for something that is more rectilinear.
    Yes, that point of view is understandable. The Kit works well when you have to carry objects that would otherwise roll around. The broader base is very good for those instances, because when you set it down on a flat surface you can access the contents without having them roll away from you. When the separate iSight camera was still sold (several years ago -- cylindrically shaped like a slightly larger and longer tube than the inside cardboard roll for toilet paper -- the Kit was a good bag for carrying that, and one of the inset views actually showed that.

It's especially handy when you want to use a bag with slightly more structure than the 3D Clear Organizer Cube (due to the Ballistic Nylon), which might be spill resistant (if you carry something like a bottle of cleaning solution for your computer screens), and also need to hold something bulkier (like a small video camera). It's bigger (particularly in width) than the 3D Clear Organizer Cube, but much more packable in size than the larger Clear Quarter Packing Cube, which could swallow a 3D Clear Organizer Cube in each zippered compartment. The tapered top is "grippier" as well as more durable when you have slightly heavier items. The bag that the Kit really works well with is the Synapse backpack. This fits in very well at the top of the bag where it tapers. The Kit is also scrunchable, so you don't have to worry about its non-rectangular shape when packing it in the Synapse.
    Lani and TavaPeak like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0