Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Sarha
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 4 Post By pretzelb

Thread: Made in America

Made in America

I saw this article and thought of Tom Bihn!

Eco Etiquette: Is 'Made In America' Better For The Environment?
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I enjoyed the article and agreed with much of the content.
    I do try to support "American made" companies, even if it means spending a bit more $.
    Tom Bihn is a great example because the products are made in America, but also because the products are of a very high quality; worth spending a premium price for.
    As an aside, I was surprised to find that LL Bean, a company I always associated with "American made", has many products made in China. That burst my bubble a bit...

Thanks for posting the article. I especially appreciate the part about sourcing for components in the US, as well as the end product. It's hard to find that out, unless the company is intentional like TB it.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

I read this article in Wired a while back and I found it interesting. From what I recall it was mainly about how plants in China used to be cheap but now it only works if you are a big player like Apple. The part I found interesting is the shipping costs and delay. If a large batch of products is defective then you're stuck waiting on the next shipment which can take a long time. Not to mention the cost of flying overseas to check on the plants.

I still get sticker shock with the TB products but after each use I am reminded what a great investment they are. I'm especially reminded with each trip to the gym when I see every kind of broken down bag being used. To this day my oldest bags look brand new. It's mind boggling.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    I still get sticker shock with the TB products but after each use I am reminded what a great investment they are. I'm especially reminded with each trip to the gym when I see every kind of broken down bag being used. To this day my oldest bags look brand new. It's mind boggling.
    I agree -- none of the TB products I own show any signs of wear and tear at all!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Indeed. I normally avoid buying new plastic items (which includes most synthetic fabrics), but I make an occasional exception for "durable goods" and Bihn bags fall into that category because they're got more lasting power than the Energizer Bunny. I'll get years of use out of them and then be able to pass them onto to someone else for years more use. Or maybe I'll be the one getting a deal on a second hand bag! (Hooray for eBay saved searches! ^.^)
    Smart Alec, Cadet (11/i), Little Swift, Field Journal Notebook, Organizer Pouches, Organizer Wallet, Yarn Stuff Sacks, Key Straps, Snake Charmer, Zipper Pulls, Strapeez

I find it interesting how some companies are doing just the opposite of Tom Bihn. Not only are they outsourcing their manufacturing overseas, but some even move their companies as well.

Osprey, which makes fine bags, was started in San Francisco. But now, one of the co-founders, and their entire design team, reside in Vietnam to be closer to the manufacturing plant.

And if you haven't heard about the working conditions at some of the Chinese plants, it will give you pause:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/bu...pagewanted=all

Anyone that has studied economics knows that money kept here helps our economy. Money sent overseas rarely does. As an example, if a product is made in the USA, then the worker who made it gets paid. He/she in turn spends that money on goods and services in the U.S. That will help to employ other workers in the U.S. It's doubtful that a Chinese or Vietnamese worker will spend any money here. It will be spent elsewhere.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I read this article in Wired a while back and I found it interesting. From what I recall it was mainly about how plants in China used to be cheap but now it only works if you are a big player like Apple. The part I found interesting is the shipping costs and delay. If a large batch of products is defective then you're stuck waiting on the next shipment which can take a long time. Not to mention the cost of flying overseas to check on the plants.

I got a little bit of a sticker shock on my first order, my Steel Brain Bag, it was in 2006.

But examining and using the bag for all that time, it's material and manufacture reminded me of the best European made products, shoes, bags, clothing usually made of premium material like leather and silk even more important, expert sewing.

Environmental and humane concerns prompted a swift away from animal material and overseas manufacturing.

I am extremely grateful that Tom genius designs as well as the Crew perfect manufacture and customer service was enabled me to make the switch to beautiful, animal and environmentally friendly and U.S made bags and accessories.

I think many fellow TB forum members also appreciate U.S made and vegan quality products!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0