Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kolepard

Thread: My Xmas Wish - Custom color combinations

My Xmas Wish - Custom color combinations

My Xmas wish: I'd like to see is the ability to choose from any of the available colors in a custom bag. Sometimes the interior and exterior combinations aren't what I would choose. I--and I suspect a fair number of others--would be wiling to both wait a couple of months if necessary and pay an additional fee if instead of having a fixed set of combinations, I could individually select the exterior and interior colors of the fabrics used on my bags.

Kevin
    MsMoon likes this.

I'm with you on that - I'd love to be able to get bags in Conifer/Forest with Solar lining!

I have no problems with waiting.

Unfortunately I think it's very difficult to do this in a factory setting.

Audrey

I guess from the information on the site and the few photos I've seen, I thought there was a bit more human involvement, but you may well be right. I prefer the bright, high contrast linings for my luggage, and you've picked exactly the color combination that I wanted for my Aeronaut. I chose the Conifer/UV, but the UV isn't exactly bright. The Solar is what lines my TriStar and that's useful in poor light situations.

Quote Originally Posted by kolepard View Post
    I guess from the information on the site and the few photos I've seen, I thought there was a bit more human involvement, but you may well be right. I prefer the bright, high contrast linings for my luggage, and you've picked exactly the color combination that I wanted for my Aeronaut. I chose the Conifer/UV, but the UV isn't exactly bright. The Solar is what lines my TriStar and that's useful in poor light situations.
    I think it's an issue of cost, if you ask me. The travelpacks (Aeronaut, WF, TS) all run you well north of $200 (and for the Tri-Star, $270) so the price is nothing to sneeze at. Then if you want to make a custom order, I'm sure they'd have to put a premium on such a service.

It may be doable, but they are probably busy enough that they don't really want to add a brand new service. That said, if they make it a true premium and charge enough that it's worth their while, I suspect they will still get some special orders in. So not an extra $20, but let's say for an extra $100 or something. Prohibitive so that only those who truly want their own version will be willing to plunk down the bucks for it.

I don't know if they'd do it, but I would love an all-Dyneema option for the Western Flyer, for example. I'd be willing to pay a pretty stiff premium for that, let me tell you.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

My wishes on the matter are less ambitious than yours. I am wanting to be able to be able to select any exterior and interior combination from the fabrics already used for those purposes. It wouldn't be anything special in regard to the fabric. For example, the Aeuronaut has exterior colors of Cardinal, Forest, Navy, Steel, Black. Interior colors are Steel, Ultraviolet, Iberian, and Solar. In my fantasy land, you could select from each as an independent variable. Personally, I'd like a Forest/Solar combination, which isn't available even though those fabrics are already used and cut for those purposes.

What you want is definitely more ambitious, using different fabrics in different applications.

I'm sure you're right, though. They are sufficiently busy that it's not a service they feel pressured to add, and there isn't enough demand. The Tom Bihn bags are still some of the best on the market, but nothing in perfect. :-)

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kolepard View Post
    I'm sure you're right, though. They are sufficiently busy that it's not a service they feel pressured to add, and there isn't enough demand. The Tom Bihn bags are still some of the best on the market, but nothing in perfect. :-)
    I betchoo if they say, "Oh, what the heck?!" and decide to offer it as a limited service, and charged something outrageous (like twice the price), they'd still wind up with some people who'd be willing to take them up on it! Hehe.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0