Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By dorayme
  • 2 Post By dorayme

Thread: SAFF (Southern Animal Fiber Festival) weekend

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas

SAFF (Southern Animal Fiber Festival) weekend

I am leaving for SAFF tomorrow and I'm all packed up and ready to go.
    I decided to carry my Synapse for my clothes and other traveling necessities. The cool thing is that even though I am bringing 2 each of handknit cardigans and handknit socks I have plenty of room in my Synapse to handle the bulk.
    I love that the Synapse works for me for a weekend bag. It works really well, especially with packing cubes to organize and compress the contents.

I am using a medium eBags packing cube with a PCSB as the core. The eBags cube is a great size for me to bundle my clothes in, and it fills up the space of the Synapse, but allows for slipping skinny things in the bag front and down the sides and top. Also when I open the bag, I don't have to worry that my contents will jump out.

I learned an important lesson for myself when I was packing my clothes. I knew this, but it was neat to see it demonstrated. I originally folded the clothes and put them into the eBags and put my smaller items into the PCSB. They both fit inside, but the Synapse bulged more and felt fuller.
    I repacked and made the PCSB into the core. I then bundled the tops and pants around it and it was still about the same size as just the eBags cube before I bundled. It was kind of a magical thing to see how bundling allowed me to fit more items into the same space.

I am also bringing my new MCB for my purse and daybag.
    I shouldn't have been surprised that I put in my purse contents and the bag hardly feels there, also it has a ton of room left. I think a SCB will be in my future.

I brought my UT for my eSpinner and knitting WIPs. Stuff Sacks and other similar styled bags aid in keeping this bag organized. In the UT I know I packed WAY too much, but this was also a Tardis bag in that it kept taking more and more and more. Because there are often gatherings to sit and knit or sit and spin, I wanted to have a variety of projects at hand. Maybe I will become more decisive and learn how to leave more at home in the future.

I will also have my Shop Bags in tow to allow for purchases. :)

I love how originally I would have never thought of these bags for these purposes, but they just work. Not only do they work just a little,they work well for how I am using them. I was originally having bag anxiety of which one was I going to choose for this trip, but when I sat down to think of exactly what I was going to need to bring along, it became simple to figure out which bags it would all fit into in the best way.

Why consolidating into one larger bag wouldn't have been the best choice?
    I will be using everything in different places. I didn't need anything larger than the Synapse for my clothes. I may spin in my hotel room or lobby, but I will more likely spin at one of the events. I don't want to have to take my clothes or possibly my knitting with me to do that. Also during the day when I am walking around the arena, I just need a secure/smallish bag to contain my essentials.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Sounds like great fun. Any chance of seeing pictures? I love pictures. :)
    Have a good time,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

:) here ya go:

I will try to get some more pictures when I am there!
    ncb4 and TavaPeak like this.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Awesome! I hope you have a blast! I can't wait to see the pictures when you get back :).
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

I wouldn't apologize about the number of bags you're taking. I see a purse, a project bag, and a clothes bag. That they are capable of handling loads of stuff while keeping a small footprint is a testament to TB!

I can't fathom going somewhere and not having a purse/carry bag of daily stuff, and a backpack has never fit that category for me. SAFF is for crafting; you need a project bag. That one's simple! Then the synapse carries clothes and sundries. It's a perfect fit for your needs of your excursion!

Have fun at the Fibre Faire!

Well I didn't have time for more pictures. :( I did have a lot of fun. It was great to see vendors and friends that I haven't seen in several years.
    And the added bonus was that I saw one crimson black swift and 2 plum black swifts. I had to stop my compulsion to stop mid sentence and approach them.
    The weekend was greatly facilitated by my shop bags and for me won the show. One for my whole foods run. One for my purchases at REI, one for the goodies I bought at SAFF. and coming home, everything was contained, organized and portable thanks to my shop bags.

I forgot about my iPhone pictures. Upon entering the parking area for the Arena:

and in front of Purl's yarn shop in downtown Asheville
    Last edited by dorayme; 10-27-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0