Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Darcy

Thread: Ristretto for Ipade/Buckle

Ristretto for Ipade/Buckle

I just received my Ristretto in black/steel. It's beautifully made and looks like it would survive anything it conceivably encounter on my travels. But the buckle to me looks like a vulnerable point, particularly if the bag is really packed and pressure placed on the buckle. Just wondered if care needs to be taken and those plastic prongs have ever snapped for anyone.

cheers

FWIW - I have had a number of TB bags (as well as other bags by other manufacturers) with the warrior-type buckle. They have been through a variety of day-to-day and out of the ordinary tortures. I have not yet had one fail on me. Certainly closure can fail at any time for a variety of reasons. I would not be any more concerned about the Ristretto closure than any other type of closure.

A friend of mine broke the buckle on his Ristretto once, but, though he never said so, knowing him he was fidgeting with it something fierce. I have a Ristretto too, and I've stuffed it to the gills a bunch of times. I've never felt that the buckle was a weak point, and can't imagine how on earth it would break.

That being said, in the highly unlikely event that it *does* break, the bottom part is built such that the strap holding that bit of the buckle can be slipped in and out, hence allowing you to replace it without having to ruin the bag. It's a really thoughtful design feature.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    If the buckle on your Ristretto ever breaks, be sure to let us know; we'll send you a replacement at no charge. And as Gabe notes, removing a broken buckle and threading on a replacement is easy.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

The only damage I've seen from several years' worth of heavy use of many buckles (mainly on Imagos, also on Cafe Bags of multiple sizes) is the buckle gets scratched up when the wearer of the bag spends a lot of time leaning against concrete Metro barriers. Ahem. Plastic is not impervious to rough rock . . . But, other than that, they've survived a good amount of absent-minded unintentional abuse.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec.

Thanks for the great replies guys.

And appreciate the kind offer Darcy - it's good to know the buckle can be replaced if the need ever arises.

I'm off next month to Portugal and I'm now confident the Ristretto will be able to handle planes, trains, cars and general schlepping around.

cheers