Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can't quite make the purchase

Curmudgeon:

Everybody has their own sense of aesthetics, so ymmv.
    But I wouldn't say that the Aeronaut has a "duffel style" shape. Quite the contrary, when in use it looks like a soft-sided suitcase (which it is). Think Tumi, but designed by someone who understands how bags work.
    And I'll second Lotuseater, it holds its shape remarkably well when under or over-packed. I, too, started out with a ca. 2003 MLC. It was easy to pack, but couldn't hold its shape and everything wrinkled. Packing the Aeronaut took some getting used to, but the physics of how the bag carries and holds its shape have won me over.
    And I love the split handles for carrying a sweater or jacket--I would never buy another bag without this feature. (So hearing above that the Tristar handles don't work this way will probably keep me away...drat!)

Oh, and the end pockets are great for stuffing (and forgetting) dirty laundry.....

But as I have said elsewhere on the forum, if you travel with a laptop, it will fit in the Aeronaut, but is just a bit difficult to get in and out. The Tristar trumps it here.

good luck!

bb

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    Maybe a Toronto get-together? Like Maverick held in the park in DC (?) a while ago?
    I'm still interested in this idea. Is anyone else?
    Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I'm not sure whether this post should be considered a request for future products, or comments on existing bags, or just a dump of the things going through my mind. I want a travel bag. I'm looking at both the Tri-Star and Aeronaut. Neither seems to give me exactly what I want. I think I've finally come to the conclusion that the Aeronaut might better fit my needs. The biggest factor is my own sheer laziness. The Aeronaut's large main storage compartment seems compatible with my lazy streak. It looks like I can just cram my dirties into that main central compartment without worrying about organizing anything. Whereas with the Tri-Star, there may be too much organization. While fine at the beginning of a vacation, when I'm done I'm not sure I want to make the effort of trying to properly wash, organize and repack everything into it's tiny little compartments. I want to stuff and go.

So if the Aeronaut is the proper bag for me, why haven't I bought one yet? The problem is one of aesthetics. I hope this isn't sacrilege to you folks, but I actually find the Aeronaut to be a little bit on the ugly side. Not coyote-eat-your-own-arm-off ugly, but it's not a particularly good looking bag either. So what bugs me? I can start with the whole trapezoidal shape. I assume there's a purpose. but if so, it's lost on me. i don't get it. Next, I don't understand the handle. Why is there a long detachable handle, when there's no reason for it? There's no opening under the handle. Third, I think I want the bag to keep it's shape better. In pictures, the bag seems to sag quite a bit under the handle. I just don't find that aesthetically pleasing. I think I prefer the looks of the Tri-Star. I think I like the standard suitcase like styling it employs - rather than the duffel like styling of the Aeronaut.

So I think what I want is a hybrid of the Tri-Star and the Aeronaut. I want the general suitcase like form factor of the Tri-Star, but with the large central compartment of the Aeronaut. I want the handles of the Tri-Star to replace those handles on the Aeronaut. You'd probably have to add some new seams to support those handles, but those new seams might also provide some of the added support I want (anti-sag).

Other threads in this forum suggest Tom is working on a new, smaller Aeronaut. Perhaps he's considering some of these other changes as well. At least I can hope.

Thanks for listening. Sorry if I've offended the faithful.
    It sounds to me that you are describing the Air Boss?
    It is the size of an Aeronaut and the style of the TriStar.
    They are ugly to me but evidently well made.

Ed

Hey, I'm in TO too and have a Aeronaut; will get the Tri-Star to join the club ;)
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Quote Originally Posted by peregrina View Post
    Hey, I'm in TO too and have a Aeronaut; will get the Tri-Star to join the club ;)
    Alas My time in the GTA is over. I got home this morning. Now if I can only decide on a travel bag and get it by Christmas. I'll be back in the GTA sometime in January or possibly early February. DD # 3 is expecting her first baby.
    Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,

It sounds to me that you are describing the Air Boss?
    It is the size of an Aeronaut and the style of the TriStar.
    They are ugly to me but evidently well made.

Ed
    I hope I'm not describing the Air Boss. To my mind, the Air Boss resembles the Tri-Star. I very much like the look of the Tri-Star, but prefer the layout of the Aeronaut. I just seem to want both. I want an Aeronaut that looks more like a Tri-Star. Less duffel, more suitcase.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-24-2011 at 10:08 AM.

My ideal is aeronaut organisation (flexibility) in a 40-41" bag, since as someone else mentioned there is quite a bit of space left over if you pack efficiently in the larger bag - hence a real need for a smaller version. And NOT longer than 19".

Yes, I've mentioned that before (like since 2008!) but so far been disappointed. Also, with the downhill direction Qantas is taking, having a 41" bag is more important than ever, because the other carriers here in Australia have stricter carry-on limits. Plus there is the european limits to consider. Not everyone is in the USA and carries massive 45" carryons ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0