Any chance of a packable daypack?

I'm in the market for a packable daypack and I remember seeing a mention that Tom was designing a new smaller backpack. Any chance it would be suitable for packing inside an Aeronaut to use for side trips?

I'm aware of the packing cube backpack, but I'm skeptical because it doesn't have padded straps, laptop protection/suspension, and isn't very deep. It also looks a bit dorky IMO.

I'm considering an Eagle Creek packable daypack, but it's a flimsy ripstop material and a bit small. I'd really like something like a Golite Ion but it's discontinued. That was a 10 oz dyneema bag shaped like a Smart Alec that was popular with ultralight backpackers. It retailed for $50 and there's a used green one on ebay right now with the bidding at $78, as it became a bit of a cult item.
    http://www.backcountry.com/golite-io...pack-1500cu-in

Another option would be a Mountain Laurel Designs Newt, which is a similar 9 oz dyneema rolltop bag.
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=153

Is there any chance TB is coming out with something in this category soon?

Another thought I had was that the hardest thing to pack is the suspension system, and I'm already carrying around a set of straps on the Aeronaut. I wonder if it would be possible to make the backpack straps on the Aeronaut detachable, so they could be clipped onto a daypack at the destination.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tom might design something like what you're describing someday, but it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

The bag that we make now that is most like what you're describing is the Synapse in Dyneema/nylon. Note that anything with comfortable padded straps and laptop protection isn't going to be all that packable.
    Last edited by Darcy; 02-18-2011 at 09:18 AM.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Tom might design something like what you're describing someday, but it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

The bag that we make now that is most like what you're describing is the Synapse in Dyneema/nylon. Note that anything with comfortable padded straps and laptop protection isn't going to be all that packable.
    It's the reinforced back pad that probably makes the Synapse in Dyneema/nylon less packable than the other bags discussed in the OP. It also makes the bag incredibly comfortable to carry. I think this design is more comfortable than the design for the Smart Alec. More organizational pockets and structuring than I think cityhall is looking for. Carries a really deceptively large amount of stuff, though -- I remember a colleague at the airport looking on with amazement at what I had had packed into the Synapse in addition to my laptop.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by cityhall View Post
    I'm aware of the packing cube backpack, but I'm skeptical because it doesn't have padded straps, laptop protection/suspension, and isn't very deep. It also looks a bit dorky IMO.
    Darcy pretty much nailed it when she said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Note that anything with comfortable padded straps and laptop protection isn't going to be all that packable.
    A few years back I also was looking for a daypack that wouldn't take up too much room in my Aeronaut. My first acquisition was a Rick Steves Civita daypack which was light, packable and had several different pockets and bottle holders. It wasn't long before I discovered its one flaw: it is not water resistant. Walking around a major American city in a light rain shower rendered the contents of the bag to be obviously damp. I then began a hunt for a replacement and ordered a GoLite Ion, size large, for $36. The Ion is almost perfect in that it is super light weight, water resistant, holds a great deal and is comfortable (if packed correctly) to carry. Its only drawback is that since it is essentially just a big Dyneema sack with shoulder straps and a zipper closed top, if you want something out of it that is at the bottom you need to rummage down through all of the items in the bag to get to it. A hunt for a lightweight bag with pockets has resulted in my acquiring a GoLite VO24 which has a better suspension system than the Ion but sadly is not as packable. Oh well...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0