Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Darcy
  • 1 Post By dorayme

Thread: The Utility Tote - on its last legs?

The Utility Tote - on its last legs?

I see that this is down to only one colour. Is it to die a quiet death, or will it be made again or redesigned?

The Utility Tote is a great bag, and I own at least 8 of them. But I will admit that the Large Shop Bag is an excellent replacement for it if it's no longer to be made.

The only features I will miss are the zippered pocket, and the many colours, which allow me to colour-code my shopping bags. Black/Black for chemicals and soaps - things I don't want to mix with food. Crimson/Navy for meat. Olive/Cocoa for earthy vegetables. Kelly/Navy for green vegetables. Sapphire/Steel for fruit. Storm/Sapphire, Steel/something, Plum/Olive for other groceries. And there's another one or two in the back of the car, as well as the Kelly/Navy that I keep in my office for lunchtime shopping expeditions!

If it's not going to be back, perhaps we need a Conifer sort of shade for Dyneema, so that there are 4 colours of Shop Bag.

Audrey

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I don't think it will be gone forever, but we just don't have time to make it right now. Maybe when we have more sewers!
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

I recently bought a Utility Tote and now the page for that bag has disappeared from the website! Did I just buy the last one in stock?

(BTW, I am thrilled with my new Tote!)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    You may have bought the last one. Don't worry: the Utility Tote (or something like it) will be back early 2011.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    You may have bought the last one. Don't worry: the Utility Tote (or something like it) will be back early 2011.
    I'm glad to hear it!

I'm still testing, but I think that if you wrap a BBQ chicken (wrapped in a proper bag) in one Utility Tote and then put it in other that actually gives more insulation than the cheapie insulated bag I usually use.

Audrey

A bag with some kind of insulation would be welcomed.

The ones available now, in various places, are not suitable.
    I am fairly certain that Tom and the team can bring us a first class insulated bag that looks as good as it works.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    A bag with some kind of insulation would be welcomed.
    I heartily second that.

Good to hear that the Tote will be making a comeback in the not-too-distant future!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Is the UT type bag coming back? Or were you referring to the Shop Bag family?
    taminca likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP, SC, BB, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, SE2, MCB, RiPad