Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Carry-On Traveller's bag

Volunteer Moderator

Aeronaut colors and "plays well with others" (other Bihn bags, that is)

Until pictures of the new Aeronaut in other colors make it to its product page, the blog post about the newly back in stock Smart Alec is probably the easiest way to select and compare colors. Each of the five initial color offerings for the Aeronaut (Crimson, Black, Sage, Kiwi, and Steel) is shown on that page. Having all the colors up at once makes comparisons easier, in case you want to know, for instance, how much greener sage is than steel.

I'd also like to point out that the LUX bag packs really well into the central section of the Aeronaut. In flattened form, it almost exactly matches this compartment, and provides a contrasting background similar to what you have in other Bihn bags. The bottom of the interior to the main compartment of the Aeronaut otherwise has a black (200 denier) nylon lining with a grid of white lines (somewhat like a quadrille-ruled pad of graph paper). The same material is used around the borders of the zippered mesh pocket on the underside of the top flap. This can be viewed in the picture at the imagometrics review site if you pause the browser animation showing the fully packed Aeronaut in the "opened" position -- the pattern can be seen in the thin strips on the left and right sides of the underside of the open flap. Similar lining is used on the right and left sides of the main compartment.

Anyway, with the LUX bag packed at the bottom, I get the same contrasting crimson color of the outer Aeronaut in the interior. Very handy if you will be needing another bag at your destination, or for use at a meeting where you are picking up other material as described in this post, since the LUX bag has a larger holding capacity than the large cafe bag, yet probably packs flatter. When traveling by air, I agree that you probably want to carry your laptop in a second bag (Brain Cell, ID bag, Buzz, Smart Alec, etc.) that is reinforced and more accessible for inspection.

I've been saving my pennies and was just getting ready to order the Aeronaut, when I notice that Sage is no longer a color option...Any chance this will be brought back? I would REALLY like the Sage for this bag!

waist belt

Hi, I couldn't help noticing the early discussion concerning the importance of a good waist belt in a backpack carry-on. I'm 5'5'', but I have a short back and narrow sloping shoulders, which makes carrying 22 lb in a backpack without a good waist belt very unpleasant.

That is why I'm wondering, if there is any particular reason for not including a waist belt in the Aeronaut, when it can be found in the Brain bag. Will the Aeronaut version for "smaller people" differ from the normal version in any other way, except for the specially modeled backpack straps? Are you offering the same colors?

Otherwise: Great job designing the Aeronaut!! It looks amazing :-)

Hey, I was thinking Sage too -- getting a new supply of material before the smaller-frame Aeronaut debuts? Please?

Volunteer Moderator

Sage and future color options for the Aeronaut

Quote Originally Posted by eristick
    Hey, I was thinking Sage too -- getting a new supply of material before the smaller-frame Aeronaut debuts? Please?
    I called in about this yesterday, since I requested sage for the smaller-frame Aeronaut that I'm still waiting for. Those smaller-frame models will be available in the originally specified range of colors (i.e. you can order sage). However, it's probably a good idea to give inputs for preferred colors now, since they're trying to decide on future color options. I gather that hunter green may be added.

I boosted this color up in my selection options based on the final Aeronaut design and some of the early review statements. I think it will hold up better against dirty pavements, etc. (see the Imago Metrics review mentioned in the April 12, 2006 Tom Bihn blog), while at the same time providing a nice color contrast with the black trim used on the handles and zippers. Since there's not a second interior color (light-weight design, remember?), this also gives a little bit more color contrast on the inside (although the "bottom" is lined with 200 denier nylon in a grid pattern; see May 15, 2006 Bihn blog entry and linked detailed review with pictures).

For a more somber color choice than the very popular crimson displayed in all Aeronaut pictures to date, sage seems to be a good choice. YMMV. (And apparently the color sell-out order for the regularly sized Aeronauts was first the crimson, and then the kiwi and sage, leaving the current steel and black colors still available).

Joy
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond
    I gather that hunter green may be added.
    I've got one in Hunter Green that I really love. It's a nice bright color, definitely noticable and easy to find and describe, but not quite as screamingly bright as the crimson. ;)

Count me in as another vote for bringing back the Sage! It's beautiful and pleasant without being flashy.

In fact, I was planning to order a Sage Aeronaut before realizing it was sold out. It's by far my first choice of color. My second choice would be Sapphire, to match my Brain Bag.

Wink

Hunter Green is a Sartorial color indeed. We see lots of it around where I live ( Horse Country MD) The Crimson Aeronaut is not Screaming bright actually.After working with VizGuard fabrics - I KNOW screamingly bright. The Crimson projects a very neutral red and is a nice standout on the conveyor belts. I call it Rojo Picante Jaleo
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I've got one in Hunter Green that I really love. It's a nice bright color, definitely noticable and easy to find and describe, but not quite as screamingly bright as the crimson. ;)

smaller framed addition

do we have a time frame for the smaller version? I thought it was sometime in May, but don't seem to find it on the web site...

Volunteer Moderator
    From the Aeronaut page: "A version of the Aeronaut with shoulder straps designed for smaller people will debut in late July."

*falls over and dies from the prolonged anticipation* LOL

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    It's looking like late July. They are being cut in the next day or two! Thanks for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Packie
    I'm wondering, if there is any particular reason for not including a waist belt in the Aeronau
    I second that. I also like a bag to have a decent waiststrap. Not necessarily a very big one, just enough to take a bit of the load off the shouldiers. I might try to rig one up myself. hmm. But I think it would be a good improvement in general.

Great design is often about what one leaves out rather than how much one can put in. I thought about the waist belt then thought hard about how the Aeronaut is used versus 'dedicated' backpacks. It doesn't need one. It's not ever going to replace a 3 day assault pack or.. the Brain Bag, besides, the extra bulk and fuss of the strapping would make the currently elegant stashability noticiable- or so methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by timofei7
    I second that. I also like a bag to have a decent waiststrap. Not necessarily a very big one, just enough to take a bit of the load off the shouldiers. I might try to rig one up myself. hmm. But I think it would be a good improvement in general.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Zephyrnoid has it -- that's exactly why the Aeronaut doesn't have a waist strap.

The Aeronaut Breve ("smaller" Aeronaut) is now available for order. Note: The Aeronaut Breve ships early August.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy
    The Aeronaut Breve ("smaller" Aeronaut) is now available for order. Note: The Aeronaut Breve ships early August.
    OOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0