Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallet ideas

Wallet ideas

I just finished a trip where I used a wallet called Big Skinny that I won for free in some online contest. In general I liked it but the zipper was kind of pointless and got in the way of getting cash and the slots for cards was a bit loose. I started to think about asking TB to make something similar but I'm not sure if that is necessary.

I own the TB wallet (2 of them in fact) and I just can't use it as a real wallet because of the hook. I could take that off but I generally don't like to break things like that. I also think it's bigger than it needs to be since cash folded in half has tons of extra room in the wallet. I guess I am asking for something new after all.

I'd like to see a TB wallet or another version for those who want to carry it in a pocket. You could probably get away with an O ring but the hook seems to be a definite no-no if you ask me. I think the size should be smaller than the current one. I'm not sure a zipper is really need either. The zipper keeps change in the current wallet but in this case I wouldn't want this for change.

Any other thoughts?
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

I have a Big Skinny, but it doesn't have a zipper. I think it's the "original". Which one are you using?

I don't like the TB wallet as a wallet, I don't like digging through all the cards to find the one I need. I use it for spare cards though and just ignore the separating pieces of fabric.

Volunteer Moderator
    I have the same problem with the TB wallet - it's often too big to fit in a pocket, and the hook is extraneous when used that way. (Of course it's designed to be clipped to, and stay in, one of the TB bags, so...)

I used the SlimSlimmy for a long time, and it's worked out wonderfully. I think I only stopped using it because I have to carry more cash around nowadays. Actually I may order a regular Slimmy now since that is the case.

For a TB wallet-similar function with the clear window, try the ViewSlimmy - it's basically the TB wallet, but without the zipper and the hook. (Also see this version for TB-like style!)

They all work like the TB wallet in the sense that they have dividers for your things. However don't expect to carry around loose coins in it!

(Warning: Leather!)

Just pointing out that non-TB solutions do exist for the kind of thing you may be looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ams123 View Post
    I have a Big Skinny, but it doesn't have a zipper. I think it's the "original". Which one are you using?

I don't like the TB wallet as a wallet, I don't like digging through all the cards to find the one I need. I use it for spare cards though and just ignore the separating pieces of fabric.
    I didn't realize that Big Skinny had so many other options. I might have to try one of the other similar models without a zipper. I think I have the mini skinny with zipper and the version without a zipper might be fine. The open sided one also look promising.

To stay loyal I might try a TB version if at least the hook was gone. A bit smaller would be nice and maybe with no zipper.

I do enjoy being able to put my wallet in my front pocket. Only problem is I can't feel it and I sometimes panic and do a quick check to make sure it's still there. It is refreshing to cut down what you carry in a wallet to the essentials.

I remove the clips from all my wallets, stuff sacks and pouches - they're just too bulky and awkward. It is easy to replace them with a small split ring (AKA key ring) and that's what I do when I need to be able to secure it.

Audrey

I have similar feelings about the TB wallet. I think I will still find it useful for something else though, perhaps for all those cards I only use once in a blue moon. Then it can sit clipped in my bag ready for when it's needed.

I also found it a little fiddly sometimes digging through it which is one thing I like about my Waterfield wallet. The zip goes along the top and down one side so it can be opened up slightly. It's also slightly smaller and therefore a better pocket fit, although it's still quite large and I may move to one of those slim wallets and keep the TB with extra cards as mentioned above.

jonathan

I use and love the Waterfield wallet as well. Brilliant design and wonderful quality.
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by gonty View Post
    I also found it a little fiddly sometimes digging through it which is one thing I like about my Waterfield wallet. The zip goes along the top and down one side so it can be opened up slightly. It's also slightly smaller and therefore a better pocket fit, although it's still quite large and I may move to one of those slim wallets and keep the TB with extra cards as mentioned above.

jonathan
    I really like the design of that wallet. The partial zipper seems like a perfect solution. That might be the way to do a zipper on a wallet if you have to. But from the video it does appear to be a bit larger for a front pocket wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    I really like the design of that wallet.
    I don't, too thick. I discovered Big Skinny wallets earlier this year and it's going to be the only wallet I use from now on.

Thanks for the pointer to Big Skinny wallets. My big leather wallet got busted and I bought a couple of Big Skinny card holders to replace it and my fat card holder (my leather wallet was really just to carry credit cards, ID, etc, along with a second fat card holder for secondary cards). The Big Skinnies are a fantastic fit in my Side Effect and Ristretto. I have a Tom Bihn wallet, which I keep in my pocket to hold cash, receipts, and cards that I need to have right at hand. I don't really mind the clip; I can fold it pretty flat against the wallet, and it's there when I want to clip the wallet in a bag.
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

I like my Tom Bihn wallet, but agree that the clip can be a pain when carrying the wallet. But I like being able to clip it in....what if the clip could be folded away in some way...like maybe inside the wallet or into a velcro fold?

Does anyone know where the Big Skinny wallets are manufactured?
    ID, Horizonal Brain Cell, Brain Bag, Ristretto (for macbook pro), Tristar, Synapse (dyneema)

Volunteer Moderator
    i carry a tom bihn clear organizer wallet every day, at times in clipped inside a bag and at other times in the front pocket of my pants or shorts. i haven't found the clip to get in the way - it just sort of hangs to the side when the wallet is in my pocket.

with the clear urethane, two ultrasuede sleeves inside, and cordura, dyneema, ultrasuede, hemp, or 1050d ballistic nylon, it's a fantastically thin wallet!

with the zipper, i feel secure that the contents won't fall out.

the three sections provide a perfect level of organization for me.

i keep a second tom bihn wallet in my bag with the cards that i don't need on a daily basis.

Curious, does anyone else have a problem with the ultrasuede divider catching on the zipper every time you open the wallet? I have to reach in and and push the divider tab back before I can unzip it all the way.

Hi Jmcspartan!

Hmm.. It sounds like there may be something wrong with your wallet because this definitely shouldn't be happening!

Please send an email with your order information to katy@tombihn.com and I'll get this sorted out for you :).
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

I've been using a wallet from All-Ett billfolds www.all-ett.com - its an extremely thin wallet, available in either their spinnaker cloth or leather. I've been using one for the last three years and have found it to work for everything I need: cash, cards, papers, etc., without being in any way as thick as numerous other wallets I've tried in the past, including the Big Skinny, which just didn't look as nice to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0