Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Ken

Double Compartment Brief?

Hi Everybody,

I hate to add another car to the "Can you make a .... bag for me?" train, but here goes. I will soon need to replace an old, trusty, non-TB brief. While I love the various TB brief/messenger designs, and currently own an ID and Imago, I would really like to see a double compartment brief. I know that the Western flyer has this arrangement, but it does not have the organizer panel like the EB & Zephyr. Has this design been considered? Or, could the organizer panel section of an existing design be expanded so it could be more of a compartment? Any thoughts?

--Ken

keb
    Before my EB I used the Western Flyer with a Brain Cell in the back compartment and a Horizontal Freudian Slip in the front....
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

The front pocket of the Zephyr is quite thick - I can easily fit in a 1" thick stack of papers. The opening is just wider than A4 paper (which is longer than Letter size paper) so a file cover or folder might not fit the Zephyr. The Empire Builder is wider so files would easily fit in there.

I tested just now on my Zephyr by dropping in a 1" thick wire bound A4 document. Fitted perfectly.

Audrey

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    Before my EB I used the Western Flyer with a Brain Cell in the back compartment and a Horizontal Freudian Slip in the front....
    Quick question - did the divider flap in the front compartment cause any issues? Its not secure, and it has half of the zipper on it, so I was wondering if this is an issue when its not in use.

--Ken

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    The front pocket of the Zephyr is quite thick - I can easily fit in a 1" thick stack of papers. The opening is just wider than A4 paper (which is longer than Letter size paper) so a file cover or folder might not fit the Zephyr. The Empire Builder is wider so files would easily fit in there.

I tested just now on my Zephyr by dropping in a 1" thick wire bound A4 document. Fitted perfectly.

Audrey
    Thank you for checking, Audrey. What I really need to do, and I just might the next time TB has open hours, is go down there with my brief and see how my current belongings fit into the different bags. I hate to be picky, but I live out of my brief every day. For me, a good brief, like any good piece of luggage, should require no thought when in use. Any effort to get at something should be automatic, so you could easily put your hand on any item in total darkness without effort. The same goes for my camera bags. I liken it to driving a car with a manual transmission. You do not think about it, you just do it.

--Ken

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0