Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    47

    Need a great disc bag

    I'd love to see a disc (as in frisbee-type) bag. I would use it for disc dog sports, but I've noticed that most disc bag options are really for disc golf. (I mention this only because the cross-application means a wider market!)

    I have a couple of backpacks that I've used to haul my discs to the park with my pup, but I really want something that is comfortable to carry on my walk, easily accessible (like a sling bag), but keeps the discs flat. Water bottle and leash pockets would be great.

    The bags that I have that are large enough not to bend the discs (and carry a little extra equipment) are too large. The smaller bags tend to bend the discs. Other options are more like full size duffels, which isn't at all helpful for walking to the park.

    Maybe someday. Just one more thing to add to the wish list.

    Brian

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    425
    If we're talking specialty items, I want a cat-carrier backpack/frontpack with a mesh window coverable by a zippered flap, and a removable machine-washable bottom for when the panicked cat loses control of his bladder.

    But that's still less specialized than a disc-dog-sports bag.

    . . . Just looked up "disc dog sports." I wish my cat would do that. I used to have a cat who played fetch, but it was all her idea. My current cat will trot over to the thrown object but doesn't retrieve it.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    . . . Just looked up "disc dog sports." I wish my cat would do that. I used to have a cat who played fetch, but it was all her idea. My current cat will trot over to the thrown object but doesn't retrieve it.
    You need a Maine Coon Cat. Every pure bred Maine Coon I've owned would play fetch until you got tired of throwing.

  4. #4
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,357
    Quote Originally Posted by bnett View Post
    I'd love to see a disc (as in frisbee-type) bag. I would use it for disc dog sports, but I've noticed that most disc bag options are really for disc golf. (I mention this only because the cross-application means a wider market!)

    I have a couple of backpacks that I've used to haul my discs to the park with my pup, but I really want something that is comfortable to carry on my walk, easily accessible (like a sling bag), but keeps the discs flat. Water bottle and leash pockets would be great.

    The bags that I have that are large enough not to bend the discs (and carry a little extra equipment) are too large. The smaller bags tend to bend the discs. Other options are more like full size duffels, which isn't at all helpful for walking to the park.

    Maybe someday. Just one more thing to add to the wish list.

    Brian
    hi bnett,

    how about using the buzz? you should be able to carry the discs flat inside of the buzz. the buzz is a sling bag, so you can rotate it around to access the contents without removing the bag. and there is a water bottle pocket.

    what do you think?

    thanks!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi bnett,

    how about using the buzz? you should be able to carry the discs flat inside of the buzz. the buzz is a sling bag, so you can rotate it around to access the contents without removing the bag. and there is a water bottle pocket.

    what do you think?

    thanks!
    I've definitely considered it, but the bag would really be overkill for what I need, and I'm not entirely sure that it would be deep enough to carry the stacked discs. It isn't uncommon for me to take 10 discs for our practice sessions.

    Also, although I'm the first to point out that Bihn bags are TOTALLY worth every penny (I have a Brain Bag, Aeronaut, EB, and my girls each have a small cafe bag), I need more justification than "disc bag" to warrant the price tag of the Buzz.

    Here is the real problem: Tom Bihn can't possibly make a bag for every specialized purpose. Once you have one of his bags, however, the inferior quality of almost every other bag becomes painfully obvious. I could buy a special purpose disc sport bag, but the ones I've seen are cheaply made junk. I find myself unable to compromise on the build quality, even though there isn't really a Tom Bihn equivalent!

    Brian

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by bnett View Post
    I've definitely considered it, but the bag would really be overkill for what I need, and I'm not entirely sure that it would be deep enough to carry the stacked discs. It isn't uncommon for me to take 10 discs for our practice sessions.

    Also, although I'm the first to point out that Bihn bags are TOTALLY worth every penny (I have a Brain Bag, Aeronaut, EB, and my girls each have a small cafe bag), I need more justification than "disc bag" to warrant the price tag of the Buzz.

    Here is the real problem: Tom Bihn can't possibly make a bag for every specialized purpose. Once you have one of his bags, however, the inferior quality of almost every other bag becomes painfully obvious. I could buy a special purpose disc sport bag, but the ones I've seen are cheaply made junk. I find myself unable to compromise on the build quality, even though there isn't really a Tom Bihn equivalent!

    Brian
    I am sure your tried it, but what about putting them in the Brain Bag?

    But, not by themselves, inside backpacks packing cubes.
    If they get dirty, you can just wash everything with an hose and let air dry.

    Also while doing a run, you can take one backpack packing cube with the disks they fit in, depending on their width, I'll say you can fit from 5 thin ones to 3 wide ones.

    Just an idea.

    I have Brain Bags and the Packing Cube with the low zipper fits perfectly in my them.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I am sure your tried it, but what about putting them in the Brain Bag?

    But, not by themselves, inside backpacks packing cubes.
    If they get dirty, you can just wash everything with an hose and let air dry.

    Also while doing a run, you can take one backpack packing cube with the disks they fit in, depending on their width, I'll say you can fit from 5 thin ones to 3 wide ones.

    Just an idea.

    I have Brain Bags and the Packing Cube with the low zipper fits perfectly in my them.
    I love the Brain Bag because it is huge. Too big for my park runs/disc practice sessions.

    The more I look at your posts on the Synapse, the more I'm thinking about going that route. It would serve double duty as a trail/about-town bag, but it looks like the main back compartment would work great (esp. with a disc insert).

    Am I correct that the Synapse appears to be a bit thicker than the Buzz? I also think the way that the space is constructed in the Synapse would better suit my purposes. (The Buzz seems more like a laptop bag, which bothers me a bit because I'm looking for something that would never be used for a laptop.)

    Looks like I have time to think about it. The color selection on the Synapse is pretty slim at the moment.

    Wasn't there a picture of the Synapse next to a Brain Bag posted in this forum? I can't seem to locate it.

    Thanks,
    Brian

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    564
    I was thinking the Imago would be a good disc bag. I haven't played in years but I still have my old musette bag that I got from the army/navy store with the discs in it. I think the Imago would fit a good number of discs, but maybe not as many as you need. I do use mine for taking supplies for the dogs whenever we're going to be out a while so it's already dog friendly at my house.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0