Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shoulder Strap Pocket

I'd love to see a shoulder strap pocket like the one on the Buzz available on other backpacks. Or perhaps one could be offered to clip to the chest strap attachment points.

Ditto - a small pocket to hold a bluetooth headset would be fantastic on a shoulder strap - or possibly a d-ring on the strap and a small clip-on bag (real small). For me, the phone pocket is overkill - I wouldn't put my phone in it - I wear it all the time either on the belt or in a jacket pocket.

I'd like this, as a means of having an item specific pocket external from the bag, but attached to it. I would prefer the pouch to have a wrap around velcro wrap with large strips the width of the pouch that wrap around the bag strap. Once it is on, it is not likely to be taken off. Ease of transfer isn't a goal, secure placement is. I have this kind of velcro method on a shoulder pad add-on for/by Manhattan Portage. It works very well. No where near as nice as my Absolute Strap, but it made a huge improvement on that bag. It always stays on, and I have never had a problem with it coming undone or such. Its about as close as you can get I think to having the item sewn on without actually sewing it on.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

That's a great idea!

I like to see portrait oriented padded pouches equipped with grippy fabric to be wrapped around various bag straps and handles.

The problem would be which size to choose, slim ipod size, regular phone size, smart phone size... Maybe Tom could do all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    That's a great idea!

I like to see portrait oriented padded pouches equipped with grippy fabric to be wrapped around various bag straps and handles.

The problem would be which size to choose, slim ipod size, regular phone size, smart phone size... Maybe Tom could do all 3.
    Or maybe use gussets, and a series of front to back of bag snaps that can change the depth of the pocket so one pouch is configurable as all three.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

I would LOVE a pouch the size of the mini organizer pouches, just big enough for the iPhone -- I'm trying to see if it would be possible to rig up the Passport Pouch to use as a strap pouch. It fits my iPhone & Clear Wallet perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I would LOVE a pouch the size of the mini organizer pouches, just big enough for the iPhone -- I'm trying to see if it would be possible to rig up the Passport Pouch to use as a strap pouch. It fits my iPhone & Clear Wallet perfectly.
    It's a great idea, I am a huge fan of the Passport Pouch.

I would love to see more Pouches in landscape designs.

I love Dyneema because of its stain and water resistant quality but... I would only be comfortable entrusting electronics to a Dyneema Pouch if it was padded in some way.

Tom has shown with the Synapse that an all Dyneema bag can be paired with padding in various places, I would love to see that in smaller Dyneema items.

Just wanted to revive this topic a bit. I just got a new smartphone (motorola droid) and I'm in the market for exactly this kind of case, but the one I like best is $40 + S/H (Waterfield Designs) and the ones that cost more what I want to pay, ~$20 (Timbuk2) use velcro, which I am really not a fan of.

I just want a simple, relatively protective (ie, padded) case that's easy to slip my phone in and out of, maybe with a pocket for headphones, and that can strap to my backpack straps or my messenger bag straps.
    Owner of:
    Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches, Shop Bag in Steel Dyneema (love it!), Synapse in Steel/Steel (love it too!), and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

Not a big velcro fan, either, but I've been using a Timbuk2 pouch to carry a smartphone on my Brain Bag strap for three years and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by gmich View Post
    Not a big velcro fan, either, but I've been using a Timbuk2 pouch to carry a smartphone on my Brain Bag strap for three years and it works great.
    I love that this topic is being re-opened!

I have a similar Timbuk2 pouch (the one with the side opening). I agree that it works well... but I think Tom can one-up that item! Allow me to present a short list of my ideal requirements for everyone's consideration, based on my experiences:

- A clasp that secures it tightly to the location on the strap where you want it, so it does not slide around.

- Padding/protection for the device as mentioned here in other posts.

- Somewhere to keep the headphones, and access to having the headphones plugged in so you can use 'em in transit.

- Easy access to the phone... something that most cases lack. Nothing worse than fumbling for your phone when its ringing!

- I'd love to see a functional pocket like my beloved Tom Bihn clear organizer wallet that you can keep credit cards or some cash and a work badge.

- My extra-credit item: a double (triple?) duty clasp so you can attach the case to your belt when needed, or clip it in an o-ring. I'm not a big fan of carrying multiple cases when they are not needed.

Easy, right! Okay... maybe not so much. What would everyone else add?

-
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Add on pouch

I recently picked up a Timbuk2 "Dime" bag. Is this the one everyone is talking about? I want to make sure there isn't one out there I've missed seeing. I've been using it on my medium Cafe bag.
    Thanks all,
    Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I recently picked up a Timbuk2 "Dime" bag. Is this the one everyone is talking about? I want to make sure there isn't one out there I've missed seeing. I've been using it on my medium Cafe bag.
    Thanks all,
    Moose
    There are actually several others. :)

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/accessories/

There's the 2Way, and the Slider, and the newer Dimebag and the Shagg. I think the former two are being phased out, as they have limited colors and sizes left on their website and they're on sale.

My assumption is that gmich and MagicTiki were probably talking about the Slider.

I'm debating if I want to buy the Slider since it's cheaper, or if I should buy a Shagg instead (no velcro, less blatant branding, better front pocket). Does anyone know if a Motorola Droid would fit in the Slider? Its dimensions are 4.6″H x 2.4″W x 0.5″D.

In terms of my ultimate version of this sort of pouch, I pretty much agree with all of MagicTiki's points, except I would be content with it only attaching to straps and forgoing the o-ring and belt attaching options.
    Owner of:
    Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches, Shop Bag in Steel Dyneema (love it!), Synapse in Steel/Steel (love it too!), and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

Quote Originally Posted by timarelay View Post
    In terms of my ultimate version of this sort of pouch, I pretty much agree with all of MagicTiki's points, except I would be content with it only attaching to straps and forgoing the o-ring and belt attaching options.
    A Tom Bihn product without an O-ring or a corollary clip in its stead is like a day without sunshine. Sure your happy to have another day, just would have been a better day with the sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    A Tom Bihn product without an O-ring or a corollary clip in its stead is like a day without sunshine. Sure your happy to have another day, just would have been a better day with the sunshine.
    lol! Ok, I would be happy with an o-ring on the pouch, with the addition of double clip ended straps as a new accessory. I find the clips on the pouches a bit unwieldy on the smaller pouches, whereas an o-ring would be nicely discrete.
    Last edited by timarelay; 01-29-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    Owner of:

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    LOL! Forget more cowbell... we need more o-rings!!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0