Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New design between Tri-Star and Aeronaut: The WINGWALKER

Now that would be interesting, a mini Aeronaut built for the Euro Hopper sizes.
    eWalker likes this.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    I agree that there is very little competition in the specific mini-segment of the market (maximum carry-on, backpackable, triple-main-compartment, USA-made travel bag) and I would recommend that Mr. Bihn take your "Wingwalker" concept under consideration. Given how long it took for the Synapse to come to market, I would not be surprised if we didn't see such a bag before 2011, though. But we can dream, can't we? :)

Hey there, MtnMan.

So, wanted to give you a quick update.

I've tried the Aeronaut. Wow. Very nice design. But not quite what I was looking for. I was going to try the Tri-Star, but really am set on the more "maximum legal carry-on" size of the Wingwalker (or possibly at 8" for the Eurohoppers).

At the risk of being cast out as a heretic, here goes: I looked at RedOxx, MLC, and the others, and finally settled (for now) on .... here goes... the eBags Weekender eTech Convertible. Before you start throwing rocks everybody - please know that I did this for three reasons: (1) We are leaving for Costa Rica in just a few weeks, (2) A lifetime guarantee bag for $55, with many of the features described above... and (3) As soon as Tom Bihn releases his version, these two bags become my kids bags, and we buy the Bihns. Now, while there is no comparison in the quality of materials, the design is very functional: a one main compartment bag with straps, a lid with pockets and organizers inside and out, and the ability to carry it by handles, shoulder strap, or the built in backpack straps which are quite substantial. [Note: one glaring oversight: the lack of shoulder strap rings in correct places - there is actually only one almost in the right place]. Other than that, workable while we wait for the masterpiece from Mr. Bihn....

Here's why I think you might particularly be interested: the Eagle Creek (or, Maverick tells us a Bihn version is coming in 2010) garment sleeve actually fits in the mesh pocket in the top cover. I have two suits in there, incredibly. Then, with an EC 18" folder two 5" packing cubes and a tube cube, I'm ready for casual or business for a month, washing once a week.

I also picked up the ID and absolutely love it. With the Brain Cell and Freudian slip and some other accessories, it is the ultimate office/personal item for the plane.

Last but not least, I picked up several Absolute straps; they are PERFECT. They actually make any bag lighter. Really. With the slight spring action, the bag slightly bounces, and only momentarily seems to be at the bottom of the cycle. Therefore, the rest of the time, it actually seems to make any bag lighter! And it stays in place, feels more than comfortable, and looks like a million bucks. This, like many Bihn designs, is a #1, gold medal, blue ribbon, big trophy, WINNER.

Hope this helps.

Sojourner
    Last edited by sojourner; 01-03-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Sojourner,
    I'm in a very similar situation - I'm waiting, yet need a bag for an upcoming trip. Have you used the Absolute strap with the eTech Convertible? I, for the life of me couldn't see (from their pics) where to connect a shoulder strap.
    PS - sorry - don't want to hijack this into a competitor discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by crpeck View Post
    Sojourner,
    I'm in a very similar situation - I'm waiting, yet need a bag for an upcoming trip. Have you used the Absolute strap with the eTech Convertible? I, for the life of me couldn't see (from their pics) where to connect a shoulder strap.
    PS - sorry - don't want to hijack this into a competitor discussion...

Hiya, crpeck~

It works, but it is not perfect. Far from it. But there is a ring by the top handle (on the end) and the other end of the Absolute strap can be clipped into one of the backpack strap rings - without unclipping the backpack strap. So... yes, it works, albeit not centered or perfectly balanced. But certainly workable while we are in the circling pattern waiting for the final approach....

But I can't wait to see what Tom Bihn pulls off for this bag. Whether one compartment or two. 8" or 9". Regardless, I'm ordering two. And telling everyone else where to buy the world's perfect carryon.

Any hint of an update on this design concept?

Hi Darcy, Tom, and crew...

Just planning our next trip, and saw that there have been more posts requesting this type of bag. Any chance of seeing a release by the end of the year?

By the way, really like the co-pilot. My compliments!

ttt (to the top)

A holiday weekend, a chance to catch one's breath and browse past threads. This Wingwalker suggestion reminds me of the thread that may have been the first one where I posted: asking for an "Aeronette" (a slender Aeronaut....an Aeronette?). Searching for the thread's URL, I see I also mentioned it on the wish list for 2011, lol. It must definitely still be on my mind :-)

I still waffle on length, 19-21" bag, but the width should be good for international, so no more than 7.5 or 8 in.

Since the Aeronette thread of 3 years ago I have actually bought a number of different bags, a quest for a near perfect, if not perfect, bag. My Western Flyer (2.5 lb) is still too tight, the Aeronaut (2.7 lb) a bit too big, and as a leisure traveler, the Tri-Star's weight (3.4 lb) scares me off. A 2 1/4 pound slightly smaller Aeronaut that has the ballistic on the outside and only dyneema for inner structure .. sigh .. still my wish.
    eWalker likes this.

Reply to Curmudgeon's "Can't quite make the purchase"

[QUOTE=Curmudgeon;25625]I'm not sure whether this post should be considered a request for future products, or comments on existing bags, or just a dump of the things going through my mind. I want a travel bag. I'm looking at both the Tri-Star and Aeronaut. Neither seems to give me exactly what I want. I think I've finally come to the conclusion that the Aeronaut might better fit my needs. The biggest factor is my own sheer laziness. The Aeronaut's large main storage compartment seems compatible with my lazy streak. It looks like I can just cram my dirties into that main central compartment without worrying about organizing anything. Whereas with the Tri-Star, there may be too much organization. While fine at the beginning of a vacation, when I'm done I'm not sure I want to make the effort of trying to properly wash, organize and repack everything into it's tiny little compartments. I want to stuff and go.

++++++++++++++++++

Curious if you would think you'd like something like the Wingwalker?

[QUOTE=sojourner;25633]
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I'm not sure whether this post should be considered a request for future products, or comments on existing bags, or just a dump of the things going through my mind. I want a travel bag. I'm looking at both the Tri-Star and Aeronaut. Neither seems to give me exactly what I want. I think I've finally come to the conclusion that the Aeronaut might better fit my needs. The biggest factor is my own sheer laziness. The Aeronaut's large main storage compartment seems compatible with my lazy streak. It looks like I can just cram my dirties into that main central compartment without worrying about organizing anything. Whereas with the Tri-Star, there may be too much organization. While fine at the beginning of a vacation, when I'm done I'm not sure I want to make the effort of trying to properly wash, organize and repack everything into it's tiny little compartments. I want to stuff and go.

++++++++++++++++++

Curious if you would think you'd like something like the Wingwalker?

I'm not sure the WingWalker is what I'm looking for. In general, it looks like an enlarged Tri-Star with three main compartments divided lengthwise. Although when I first glanced at your diagram, I thought it looked like two compartments, one 5" and one 3". With an inch left over for the zippered compartments on the side. I think instead, I want a bag with a form factor more like the Aeronaut in which the three compartments are divided widthwise. I want each compartment to comprise the entire depth of the bag. I do like the idea of one large compartment and two smaller ones - each separately zippered and accessed independently. I just want the bag to have the structure of a Tri-Star - with more of a suitcase look than a duffel look. I want it to retain it's form a little better than the Aeronaut does (sag). I do take the point brought up about the Aeronaut's handles being useful for stuffing things under, but I'm not sure that's important to me.

Please note that I think the Aeronaut functions exactly as I would want, although a slightly smaller European-acceptable size would be nice. My exceptions with the Aeronaut are purely aesthetic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0