Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    Cool! I love how quickly you executed your project from idea to finished product! Hope it works as well as you thought it would. Thanks for the pics too.
    Thank you, Bag Lady for your interest and well wishes. :) I also want to thank gmanedit, moriond, and backpack for their contributions to the discussion and Jiri for sharing her brilliant technique which set me off in the direction of using Velcro which led me to modding my TB pouches with Velcro for quick placement.

So far I have been very happy with my vertical organizer. I have my camera now siting up high in my bag, in a padded pouch, so it doesn't eat up an inside front pocket. I still have my keystrap attached but I think that I will be removing it as I seem to just be leaving the pouch in place and using it as a padded zippered pocket.

Now that I have a working prototype, I am thinking of improvements to my design. I use the loop (soft side) Velcro (I am calling it Velcro but it was a different brand of that stuff) on the pouches so if I use the pouches without the organizer, they will work fine and not be hooking stuff. So, I was thinking what if I had a full size sheet of the hook side? And what if I had squares to cover those sections I didn't need exposed in a particular configuration? And what if I had a built in pocket to store the square covers that were not being used? This prevent the hooks from grabbing at stuff it shouldn't, and allow me versatility in form to addressing my needs for that day.

So I will at some future point be making a 2.0 version, with a greater attention to details. I even thought about cannibalizing a Freudian Slip and adding some Velcro to it. The wheels are turning. ;)

Thanks again everyone for your ideas, encouragement and support for my vertical organizer project. :D
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    I even thought about cannibalizing a Freudian Slip and adding some Velcro to it. The wheels are turning. ;)
    hey ex machina, if you do hack the Freudian Slip and make it work for the Cafe Bag, I want the Medium size!
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

"So, I was thinking what if I had a full size sheet of the hook side?"

Brilliant!

BTW - you might want to look at MUJI Multi-Pocket Organizer organizer that's awfully close to what you're making.

http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma...7_11459_null__

Hope the link works.

Jiri

(BTW - Jiri is masculine - Czech, similar to the Russian Yuri which translates to George)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri View Post
    BTW - you might want to look at MUJI Multi-Pocket Organizer organizer that's awfully close to what you're making.

http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma...7_11459_null__

Hope the link works.

Jiri

(BTW - Jiri is masculine - Czech, similar to the Russian Yuri which translates to George)
    Tnx, Jiri for the excellent link! That is very much in the concept area of what I am trying to do. If the MUJI was vertically oriented and sized for the LCB I would have it on order now. I may still order it for my Imago. It is influencing my design strategy for my next version. I am going to talk with my tailor on Saturday, and see what it would cost to sew hook-and-look fasteners to both my pouches and a fabric skin. I would use a different pattern if the hook-and-loop was still in strips. I am still looking for a sheet of hook-and-loop that I can tweak.

Sorry Jiri, for my misconception on your gender.
    Thanks for addressing it and teaching me something new.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

I just got back to PA and had a chance to take some pictures of what I had done along these lines. In case anyone is curious, they are attached (I hope) to this post. There are three pictures:

1) totally assembled;
    2) disassembled with pencil boxes upside down;
    3) one box "assembled", one open, one upside down.

Apologies for the large pictures.

Jiri
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Wow!

Thanks Jiri ,for the pics. That is a very clever design. I appreciate your input and it was what got me on the Velcro Road with my own design. I am hoping to have my v2.0 done after finals so sometime around late December I will hopefully have it done, and be gathering the materials in mid-December. Your pics fella are very useful and add further dimension to my design revisions. Much appreciate you taking the time to make and post them.

I have decided that my next version will use sewn hook-and-loop connectors. I will need fabric, perhaps zippers, and I am thinking of a fold-down flap to form a floor in the bag too, which will also work as a brace to keep the backboard in place. I welcome additional ideas and input from my fellow forum members and I thank all of you for your interest in my organizer project. :)

I resized Jiri's 3 pics for an easy quick view. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Both projects are really great!

Just the kind of inventive stuff TB forum participants would come up with! :)

ex, I hope this is the right thread (I'm a little lost in the threads right now): Did you see what's in the new Levenger catalogue? HTTP://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...-3|PageID=7168 (comes in three sizes).

Also: HTTP://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...-3|PageID=7167.

The Muji and Levenger ideas are very clever.

However, I don't like the idea of my Pouches transformed with hook and loops fabric which would stick to everything and deter from their clean looks.

I am also not thrilled with idea of my things looped into elastic and floating around a bag subject to ding and harsh treatment.

I like my things enclosed in Pouches and pockets so that elastic thing is not appealing.
    But the idea that Pouches can be tweaked to hold pens securely without risking damaging them inside a Padded Pouch is very attractive.

I am sure Tom can come up with a really attractive "Cafe Bag Freudian Slip".

Welcomed would be,

On one side:
    O rings and/or Aplix loops secured to Key Strap fabric where I could secure the clip from Pouches or Key Straps or even the Side Effect Shoulder Strap for portability of the "Cafe Bag Freudian Slip". :)

On the other side:
    Freudian Slip like horizontal or vertical pockets which accommodate letter size documents or smaller.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0