Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I know what it's like to be tempted by the bags. I recently purchased, against all common sense and history, the Synapse. I did this knowing I have had a bad shoulder for years. I piloted it for a couple of weeks around the house with varying loads typical of what I normally carry. Sadly, my shoulder, while healed, simple does not have the load bearing capacity for a backpack - nor the range of motion to easily remove the pack without a lot of wincing! The Synapse had to be sent back - too bad I really liked the design functionality and color (navy/solar). I now just have to find solace in the Tri-Star, Western Flyer, ID, and numerous pouches, cubes and the like I have.

On the positive side, I am eagerly awaiting the gym bag on the horizon - my next likely purchase!! By the way, luggage tags are on the way.... at long last!!
    Last edited by rabergnc; 11-25-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    On the positive side, I am eagerly awaiting the gym bag on the horizon - my next likely purchase!!
    Pray tell, what is the gym bag?
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    So, I am mentally reviewing how I could use it, rethinking my aversion to backpacks, and contemplating a change in my style of bag usage.
    ex machina, I'm wondering it you plan to use the Synapse as a form of transporting items or using it during transit?

I've read a marvelous thread in this Forum somewhere about the distinction between transport vs transit which was quite well-thought out. I've decided if I do get the Synapse or any other backpack it can only be used during transporting since it is not easy to quickly pull items out of it.

I guess that's why I love messenger style bags like the Cafe Bag or the Imago since items can be retrieved without any hassles while still wearing the bag; I carry my bags mostly in the transit mode.
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    Pray tell, what is the gym bag?
    As I understand it, TB will be/is designing a gym-type bag for sometime in 2010. I may have misunderstood however - I'll wait for it anyway!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    As I understand it, TB will be/is designing a gym-type bag for sometime in 2010. I may have misunderstood however - I'll wait for it anyway!!
    Thanks, rabergnc, I'll be waiting too! :-)

Acquisition strategy? What acquisition strategy? I see it, I want it, I usually get it!

Oh, you mean do I: A) check the blog page for upcoming open dates? B) flip page after page deciding on the monthly Tom Bihn fix (this month's 3 of the new luggage tags and the large shop bag in Steel, along with 4 more I-never-have-enough key straps, plus who knows what else - probably in Indigo - will jump off the walls at me and shout buy me, lady!) C) plan my eco-friendly bus/train/light rail connections so I don't drive more than 2 miles from my house instead of the whole 65-mile round trip and D) make sure my credit cards are ready to be severely abused (my Amex loves Tom Bihn).... does all that count as strategy?

Oh, I'm so sorry for those of you who DON'T live in the Seattle area and have to wait for your packages in the mail! Ah, instant gratification is mine, I say... one day a month. (Boo for that.)
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

I'd really love to have the Aeronaut in either red or sapphire, but I don't travel much at all. Doesn't stop me from wanting it, though!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Quote Originally Posted by aiethabell View Post
    Oh, I'm so sorry for those of you who DON'T live in the Seattle area and have to wait for your packages in the mail! Ah, instant gratification is mine, I say... one day a month. (Boo for that.)
    I am actually planning that my first real vacation will be to Seattle, and I will plan it around visiting the Tom Bihn factory. I expect this will happen within the next two to three years. I think it will be a real hoot, and when I get close to a set date, I will be asking for tips in the travel section. :)
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Now that I finally have my Synapse, I'm actually not really waiting to buy anything in particular. I have my Synapse, my shop bag, and my cafe bag. Maybe someday I'll splurge on a small cafe bag, but I think my medium is a good size. And perhaps someday I'll decide my laptop deserves a proper case.

Beyond that, I think my next purchase, somewhere down the line, will be a bag I can pack for short trips (a weekend to a week long) and use as a carry-on, but I'm not a big fan of my current options (I essentially want a smaller Aeronaut), so I'm going to wait and see what comes out next. :)

In other news, I just realized that my boyfriend moving to Seattle next fall means more likelihood that I can revisit the store again someday!
    Owner of:
    Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches, Shop Bag in Steel Dyneema (love it!), Synapse in Steel/Steel (love it too!), and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

Hi, timarelay. Do you have the large shop bag? That could serve as a carry-on overnight bag for clothes and such (put them in a plastic or other bag that can be closed at the top).

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Hi, timarelay. Do you have the large shop bag? That could serve as a carry-on overnight bag for clothes and such (put them in a plastic or other bag that can be closed at the top).
    Nope, I only own the original shop bag. A large shop bag would work, but I'd really love to have a bag that closes. I've traveled with a tote bag before, and it suffices but leaves something to be desired.

I might eventually buy a large shop bag anyway though, for other reasons. I just need to think of good enough ones!
    Owner of:
    Imago in Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, Various organizer pouches, Shop Bag in Steel Dyneema (love it!), Synapse in Steel/Steel (love it too!), and a Medium Cafe Bag in Plum/Wasabi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0