Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MtnMan

Thread: Freudian Folio?

Freudian Folio?

There's one item I can think of that would complement the Freudian Slip perfectly, which I wish Tom Bihn would make for both the travel bag lines and the backpack lines: a padfolio based loosely on the existing Freudian Slip.

The idea behind a padfolio, as I understand it, is to carry papers in a protective heavy folder (either as a tablet holder or as a loose-leaf binder) that can also house other things (loose papers and envelopes inside the folder, plus a pen/pencil or two, plus the nicer ones also offer slots/pockets for business cards, calculators and other goodies) while offering enough structural strength that the padfolio almost serves as a clipboard. Here's an example of a Mead triple-fold padfolio at OfficeMax. And here's an example of bi-fold MODA folio, and here's a fancy At-A-Glance planner-style padfolio. Note that these padfolios handle Letter-size (8.5 x 11-inch) or larger paper. This would probably not conflict with what I've heard about a possible "field notebook", which would likely be smaller.

The point of this concept would be to create something like the business padfolios mentioned above, but the "Freudian Folio" would be made of materials like the Freudian Slip, and be built to be useful for Bihn bags, especially backpacks and travel bags. Would the folio use a snap button or velcro or a zipper to seal it shut? Or maybe no securing mechanism at all? I'm not sure. (NOTE: I would expect that this concept would fit in well with the Freudian Slip, and that it could be popular with messenger bag/briefcase lines as well.)
    Janine likes this.

I'd like something sized for the Large Cafe Bag and Synapse, to hold file folders, loose papers, and magazines.

Marvelous idea MtnMan!

The examples you linked have different closures, which ones would you prefer?

I read on twitter "Field Journal notebook will fit in all sizes of Cafe bag.
    2:58 PM Jul 31st from web in reply to dsmkin"

I have a Small Cafe Bag so I think that the Field Journal Notebook might be "Personal size" or Junior size.

I think we might wait for the premiere of the Field Journal notebook and ask Tom to make one in Junior and Letter size.

From one of the thread or a blog or twitter link, I don't remember, Darcy said that the rings were coming from Vienna, Austria.

We might ask for one without rings. :)

gmanedit, I use the Large Organizer Pouch to hold file folders, loose papers, and letter pads inside my Large Cafe Bags. :)

Thanks, backpack. Is the pouch stiff enough so it doesn't slide down in the bag? I've been throwing everything into a plastic file folder (with the long open edge at the top—handy because I don't have to take the folder out of the bag), but it tends to slide down and curl.

I think this is a great idea, but would add a couple of suggestions:
    1. make the A4/8 1/2x11" version a zip around portfolio, and put rings on it for a shoulder strap.
    2. add an internal compartment to above sized to fit a netbook
    3. please, if you make one sized for US 8 1/2 x 11" paper, make it a little longer so it will also fit European size A4 paper. (some of us have to use both)

I have an old 3-ring notebook holder which zips closed and has a shoulder strap, and it is just right for carrying papers to a meeting. I just wish it had the netbook compartment, and Tom Binh style.

Holy cow!

You know the forum is hoppin' when you suggest a kind of designer padfolio for travel and the discussion leads to a netbook case!

Neat idea, but I think the padfolio and your netbook case concept would be distinct concepts.

My needs are simple: a Freudian Slip sized to fit the Large Cafe Bag and Synapse. Maybe the size of a Horizontal FS, with a vertical orientation.

In fact, skip the pen slots and pockets and mesh pockets—just top-loading slots for file folders on both sides.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi gmanedit,

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Thanks, backpack. Is the pouch stiff enough so it doesn't slide down in the bag? I've been throwing everything into a plastic file folder (with the long open edge at the top—handy because I don't have to take the folder out of the bag), but it tends to slide down and curl.
    The Large Cordura organizer pouch isn't stiff. I use this with Levenger folders inside as shown in this post. The Horizontal Freudian Slip works fine with larger bags, and was originally designed to provide organization for bags like the ID Bag, but is too large to fit into the Large Cafe Bag or the Imago.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    My needs are simple: a Freudian Slip sized to fit the Large Cafe Bag and Synapse. Maybe the size of a Horizontal FS, with a vertical orientation.

This would meet my needs as well.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0