Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Loop on outside of Synapse

First, let me thank everyone at Tom Bihn for having a shorter person model the Synapse as well as a taller person. It really allows me to have a good idea about the size of the bag. It looks perfect for my height. :)

Second, I would like to suggest that a loop as simple as one strip of webbing sewed flat to the very back of the bag. I use my current backpack (which is falling apart so I'm looking for a replacement) when I ride my bicycle to and from work each day. I have my red blinking light attached to the back of my bag and love having it there. I believe that this little extra flat loop on the back of the bag would not deter from its chic look at all and would give me and possibly other commuters a place to attach their bike lights.

I've noticed that many of the other backpacks (Brain Bag, Smart Alec, and Ruck's Sack) have a place on them where this can be done.
    Last edited by 5foot3; 10-21-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi 5foot3,

welcome to the forum!

can you help me understand where on the smart alec or ruck's sac the webbing appears?

thanks!

Hey Maverick,

Thanks for the welcome. That's more than I expected. A pleasant surprise.

To answer your question . . . From looking at the pictures, it looks like on the Ruck's Sac, one could attach a light to the strap/buckle that keeps the "flap" held down and closed on the bag. On the Smart Alec, you could attach a light to the crisscrossing elastic bungee thing. I would not add anything quite as cluttering as either of those options to the synapse as it would definitely take away from it's sleek look, but I'd still like to have something. I could probably even sew a short little piece of webbing (~1.5") on to the pack on my own, but it would certainly look more better if it was done by professionals.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi 5foot3,

thanks for helping me understand!

one thing you could do is attach a light to one of the cord pulls on the synapse.

see the attached pictures showing the guardian light attached to the cord pull of one of the zippers on the synapse.

let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Volunteer Moderator
    That's niftier than my proposed solution which would have been to nix the use of the bottom pocket, and just clip it onto there, leaving the pocket open (and therefore expose the inside of the pocket to the elements)....

5foot3, welcome to the forums! You've brought up a good suggestion.

I would unpick some of the stitches on the Tom Bihn label and clip the light there. It seems to be in exactly the right position and it can't flap around.

Audrey

PS: Of course, this would void your warranty. As would any other modifications to your bag.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    I would unpick some of the stitches on the Tom Bihn label and clip the light there. It seems to be in exactly the right position and it can't flap around.
    I would strongly advise against doing this - the whole label would fall off at some point. And it would void the warrantee for that particular part of the bag.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    i also like to think of the label as a work of art. well, the bags are also works of art, so the label is art work on a work of art (or part of the work of art, depending on how you look at it). it would make me sad to see the label come apart in that way.

Could you slip a velcro cable tie (Strapeez) between the top zipper pulls and clip the light to that?

The Strapeez are on TB's Accessories page, toward the bottom.

Volunteer Moderator

The guardian light also has a clip that you can see in a couple of the product pictures. Couldn't you just clip the light to the two zipper pulls at the top? (without having to use a Strapeez)?

moriond

The Guardian Light also comes with a lanyard that could be clipped to the handle of the Synapse.

An 16" Key Srap could be inserted in the clip which forms the Guardian Light's body and the clips of the Key Srap secured on the cord pulls of the two side pockets.

I think the red light would make a nifty night bicycle/jogging light attached to the Synapse or Brain Bag that way.

But... 5foot3 doesn' t have a Guardian light, (yet), but a bike light of a different design.

It would help, if you could post a picture of your current bike light, 5foot3.

We could come up with solutions tailored for its design to affixing it to the Synapse.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-25-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, comments, and ideas. It is fantastic that you guys and gals care so much to help me out with this.

backpack has a good point. I do not (yet) have a Guardian Light, but my bike light looks very similar. To see the manufacturers website, go to http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3035.html. I also took some very quick rough pictures of the light to show you the clip a little better.

Maverick's idea would be a quick and easy temporary solution, but would probably place to the light a little too high on the pack. When riding, I typically lean forward a little and thus attaching the light to the top portion of the bag tends to have the light point toward the sky instead toward the cars on the road behind me. I spot lower like just above the bottom compartment zipper would be perfect. (Maverick: Great pictures by the way. I might need to get some photography advice from you in the future.)

Falconea has a great idea as well except for the warranty thing. Something as non-obtrusive as the label just lower on the pack and a little sturdier is what I was thinking.

Darcy - If I sewed something onto the bag myself, would that void the warranty as well?

Any other ideas would be great. I really do love that you are all interested in helping with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by 5foot3; 10-24-2009 at 05:44 PM.

I think that afixing the clip that comes with the the Guardian Light would be ideal.

But, your light has a little bump at the bottom and the clip might be too narrow.

Another solution would be to buy a bag of cheap lanyard key rings.
    Inset the clip in two of the key rings then knot the lanyard together then loop one them over the handle of the Synapse and the other on the 2 cord pulls of the side pockets, one side first then the other.

In that configuration, I believe that the light will end up on top of the logo or slightly below.

Trying that on should not cost a bundle, I saw packs of lanyard with key rings at office stores and I am sure they are available at discount store etc...

You could also get Strapeez and loop them to the lanyards and the back of the light then loop the lanyards the same way I suggested before, over the Synapse handle and inside the 2 cord pulls of the side pockets.

Strapeez are made of really really strong grippy stuff, velcro like but stronger.
    I think that it would really keep the lanyard gripped to your light.

If that doesn't work, you might order a white guardian light and use it's metal clip for your bike light.

Let us know what you think of this idea.

As you can see, we love to help out.

Volunteer Moderator
    I guess you didn't like my solution that effectively removed one of the pockets from the bag :)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5foot3 View Post
    Maverick's idea would be a quick and easy temporary solution, but would probably place to the light a little too high on the pack. When riding, I typically lean forward a little and thus attaching the light to the top portion of the bag tends to have the light point toward the sky instead toward the cars on the road behind me. I spot lower like just above the bottom compartment zipper would be perfect. (Maverick: Great pictures by the way. I might need to get some photography advice from you in the future.)
    hi 5foot3,

you could use the lanyard that tom bihn offers for the guardian light to place the light lower on the bag.

you're more than welcomed to ask about photography anytime you like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0