Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One Compartment Travel Bag

While I love my Tri-Star, there are occasion when I need to take things that are more than 4 inches thick.

Are there any plans to make a travel bag the size of the Tri-Star, with one main compartment, hideaway backpack straps, lockabale zipper pulls, etc? Or perhaps even a smaller sized Aeronaut with end compartments that can open to make one big bag.
    (I guess you could call it a Tri-Star sized duffel with backpack straps).

Perhaps the effervescent Darcy could weigh in on this one?

Volunteer Moderator
    a small and medium aeronaut would be a nice addition to the current (can we call it the large?) aeronaut.

C'mon Maverick, I would have thought you'd already looked into the future and make a video of it......:)

I was thinking of something similar just last week. I was thinking it would be useful to have something based on the canvas tool boxes you see at Lowes or Home Depot. Not so much the part that has the loops on the outside for tools, but the flat bottom with a wide mouth down the middle. Just something that doesn't automatically assume you only need lateral space roughly around the size of a laptop. I think a good starting point might be to allow enough space for a full sized DSLR to sit easily, or maybe a pair of running shoes on their side facing each other, which is maybe around 5" to 7" I think. If you found a way to include backpack straps into it then I'd be sold.

That's similar to what I was thinking....a bag aboug 19 x 13 x 8....hidden backpack straps....more for leisure travel but clips could be included inside for a brain cell for those who want to take a laptop. Tie down straps, O-rings (of course).

There are bags like this....but not one the quality of a Tom Bihn. And that's the big difference.

It could almost be a Tri-star with the internal dividers taken out so there's one "big" compartment. The outside need not change.

Great for camera equipment, a travel coffee maker (the one I want is 5" thick so it won't fit in the Tri-Star), C-pap machines for those who need it, etc.

Would really make it easy for one-bag travel. If a bag like this was made, I'd definitely get it even though I have a Tri-Star. I'd decide which bag to take depending on the type of trip. (The more bags the merrier.) And the more Tom Bihn accessories designed specificially for the bag. Another Absolut Strap, etc. Perhaps a newly designed "suit carrier" specifically for this bag.

It could be called a "Uni-Star"
    Last edited by Frank II; 09-09-2009 at 11:56 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Are there any plans to make a travel bag the size of the Tri-Star, with one main compartment, hideaway backpack straps, lockabale zipper pulls, etc? Or perhaps even a smaller sized Aeronaut with end compartments that can open to make one big bag.
    (I guess you could call it a Tri-Star sized duffel with backpack straps).
    I can see bags similar to what you're describing on the horizon. My magic eight ball says that in January/February, things will be clearer.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks, Darcy. That is good news. I believe there is a market for this type of bag especially with baby-boomers who want to travel light yet not look as if they've been "roughing it." They want a bag that can be worn on their back for convenience, but also presentable when checking in at a 4 or 5 star hotel. No need for multiple compartments since most won't be taking a laptop, files etc..the stuff found on many business travelers. And these people want quality. They'd be willing to pay a little extra for better materials and workmanship.

I used to work in the tour industry and I've seen my share of bags. Quality wins out every time.

I once had a closet full of bags. Ever since I've been introduced to Tom Bihn bags, most of the others have wound up on ebay.

As I say to my friends....'Once you try Bihn, no others can win."

Great to hear that something might be a possible product. The closest thing I see today to what I envision is the Gator from Red Oxx. I've used this on trips before and it's great for protecting my DSLR. It's also beyond great at storing under the seat on the plane, in fact, too great because it's so small. Main issue is that it's shoulder only so when I go hiking I have no backpack, which really stunk on my last trip to Acadia park in Maine.

My next trip I will use the Smart Alec which should be good for hiking, but I fear the narrow opening will drive me crazy on vacations where I end up going in/out of my bag often.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    My next trip I will use the Smart Alec which should be good for hiking, but I fear the narrow opening will drive me crazy on vacations where I end up going in/out of my bag often.
    hi pretzelb,

would the synapse provide enough space for your hiking needs? the reason i mention is that the zipper for its main compartment comes pretty far down, allowing easy access to the contents in the main compartment. and the zippers for each of the pockets in the front also open wide giving you full access to your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi pretzelb,

would the synapse provide enough space for your hiking needs? the reason i mention is that the zipper for its main compartment comes pretty far down, allowing easy access to the contents in the main compartment. and the zippers for each of the pockets in the front also open wide giving you full access to your stuff.
    Well Maverick, I had the same thought. One problem is I am trying to follow a lifestyle where I limit the clutter in my life and one aspect of that is making sure the items I buy server more than one use. I can use the Smart Alec for work but I don't think the Synapse would fit my laptop and water and coffee thermos that I take daily (along with misc items).

So I really would like to use the Synapse for travel but since I don't travel all that much I don't think it would be prudent. I could justify it if I could find another use for it. But I already have the Imago for keeping misc items when we take the dogs for a trip. I'd probably have to replace the Imago if I picked up the Synapse.

Maybe if I finally get around to clean some junk out of a few closets I could justify it. :)

I am going to sound like a broken record but...
    The Brain Bag is the most versatile of all Tom Bihn bags.

Stylish enough for 4 or 5 stars hotel lobbies, strong enough for a full load of school supply and rugged enough for hiking.

Your Imago is the dog's bag, it works so you need to keep it. :)

Your also absolutely need a Synapse ;)

The clean up the closet idea is great, I have heard that the thrift store business is booming!
    Demands by the young-uns who looove vintage things (like Tom's outfit in the 70's picture on flicker) lol

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I can see bags similar to what you're describing on the horizon. My magic eight ball says that in January/February, things will be clearer.
    Oh, waaah, Darcy! My birthday's in October and I WAS going to get an indigo Aeronaut. I hadn't read your response until now. I was SO looking forward to the October open house!

But I'd rather have a bag the size of the Tri-Star with just one big compartment. I'd rather not wait until February for my BD prez, but if I must!

(mutters to herself, wondering what bag she'll get NOW for her birthday... must have new bag, yarn's getting all knotted up from dumping out the Swift... MUST have new bag... Tom Bihn addiction strikes again... must. have. new. bag.)
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I am going to sound like a broken record but...
    The Brain Bag is the most versatile of all Tom Bihn bags.

Stylish enough for 4 or 5 stars hotel lobbies, strong enough for a full load of school supply and rugged enough for hiking.
    I already own the Brain Bag, that's part of the problem! For personal travel, I find the BB too large to be my personal item. I've done it, I just don't prefer it for that purpose.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    aiethabell: Such a design wouldn't be ready in February - but we should know more about whether a design like that would be available - if it all, but I can still envision such a bag - sometime in 2010. :)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by aiethabell View Post
    Oh, waaah, Darcy! My birthday's in October and I WAS going to get an indigo Aeronaut. I hadn't read your response until now. I was SO looking forward to the October open house!

But I'd rather have a bag the size of the Tri-Star with just one big compartment. I'd rather not wait until February for my BD prez, but if I must!

(mutters to herself, wondering what bag she'll get NOW for her birthday... must have new bag, yarn's getting all knotted up from dumping out the Swift... MUST have new bag... Tom Bihn addiction strikes again... must. have. new. bag.)
    I would say get a new Swift in another color.
    I would also suggest a Kit and a couple of 3D Clear Organizer Cubes.

I have 4 Swifts and they are great for organiziing all of my needlework supplies and books but oversize plastic canvas which are in one of those big clear storage boxes.
    The Kit holds small plastic canvas shapes and would do wonder for sets of round needles.
    I only have one 3D Clear Organizer Cube, but I plan to order more with the next order.

I also think that a needlework "enthusiast" has never enough yarn or Yarn Stuff Sack. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0