Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

O-Rings in Back Pockets

This was suggested in the Ultimate Cafe Bag thread, but I like the idea for all the bags with a back pocket: an o-ring (or two or three) inside the back pocket. I'm constantly slipping things into the back pockets of my Ego and large Cafe Bag for quick and easy re-access (like in class, or on the train), and I'd love to be able to have a couple pouches clipped back there so small items don't fall out or drift to the bottom and get lost.

Me too =) At least one in the back pocket would be great! I'd love to attach keys/transit passes to it.

Me too...I had suggested this a while ago. I tend to keep things in the back pocket too; and last time I had a medium organizer pouch in the open pocket, but somewhere in a metro ride, it fell out! I wish I had the O-ring to clip it to...I feel most secure with that. I have been using the O rings in the medium cafe bag front pocket--to keep my wallet tethered. Now that I have become so used to these, I find it hard to use any bags without o-rings!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Me too...I had suggested this a while ago. I tend to keep things in the back pocket too; and last time I had a medium organizer pouch in the open pocket, but somewhere in a metro ride, it fell out! I wish I had the O-ring to clip it to...I feel most secure with that. I have been using the O rings in the medium cafe bag front pocket--to keep my wallet tethered. Now that I have become so used to these, I find it hard to use any bags without o-rings!
    I had the same problem with a pouch falling out of my large Cafe Bag. I solved the problem by clipping a TB key strap to one the inside o rings and draping it around to the open back pocket. Works beautifully! You don't even notice the strap pulled around to the back and it doesn't interfere with access to the main pouch. I agree, though, a little o ring (or 2 or 3) in the back would be very convenient.
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

Quote Originally Posted by Nana8 View Post
    I had the same problem with a pouch falling out of my large Cafe Bag. I solved the problem by clipping a TB key strap to one the inside o rings and draping it around to the open back pocket. Works beautifully! You don't even notice the strap pulled around to the back and it doesn't interfere with access to the main pouch. I agree, though, a little o ring (or 2 or 3) in the back would be very convenient.
    That's an awesome idea, thank you! I'll give it a try when I switch to my Cafe Bag this weekend.
    Buzz in Black, Imago in Black/Black/Steel, Ego in Black/Black/Steel, TriStar in Black, Large Cafe Bag in Black/Wasabi, SuperEgo in Black/Black/Steel, Side Effect in Plum, a couple Kits, and more clear pouches than one woman could ever possibly need

Glad to hear you are giving it try. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how it worked for you!
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

I'm all in favor of O rings in any conceivable spot on the bag! I *love* those things!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Ditto on the O rings... the more the merrier! Especially for things like keys... much more convenient to be able to pull them out of the back pocket and drop them back in!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

I am going to echo everybody's opinion and say the more O rings, the better.

O rings in the back pocket would be the best addition to the already fabulous Cafe Bag.

Just as Shiva, I cannot live without O rings.

I also improvised a solution for the lack of O rings in the back pocket. I slip a big C clip in each of the inside O rings then use small C clips and lanyards (the type they sell in national parks) which have the width of the Key Straps and are long enough to got around the bag and into the back pocket.

This type of lanyard is attached to the pouch that holds my cellphone. I can slip the cellphone in and out of the back pocket without much effort.

The backpocket also houses my folded windbreaker and a brush in a cheap nylon holder.
    My current Large Cafe Bag is at capacity so the items on the inside compress the items in the back pocket.

However, when the Large Cafe Bag is not as full, I seldom use the pocket for fear of losing things in it.

I used to carry a Metrocard in a Small Clear Pouch, I clipped a 16" to an 8" Key strap and attached the whole thing to the Pouch.
    The Key Straps were clipped to one of the O ring of a Passport Pouch worn around my neck and were long enough to keep the Small Clear Pouch inside my coat or pants' pocket.

Nowadays, one can replace the Passport Pouch by a Side Effect or one of those cute 3D Organizer Cubes.
    Last edited by backpack; 08-14-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Here is a thought...

How about a bit of hook and loop stuff (just a bit - not the full length of the opening) OR one of the fabulous weather/water proof TB zippers on that back pocket along with oodles of o rings?

I am sometimes worried items will fall out of the back pocket if the inside section is not fully loaded.

A while ago there was a discussion about closing the back pocket.

Many people opposed the idea, they felt the back pocket was there for quick retrival of stuff and closing it would defeat the purpose.
    Some stated that the teeth of the opened zipper would hurt their hands if they were to pluck out an item too quickly.
    Some think of Aplix® hook and loop closure as being too noisy.

My feeling is, O rings inside the back pocket would be the ideal solution.
    People who like the option of a zippered pocket could clip a Medium Pouch in the Large Cafe bag (or another size Pouch in the smaller Cafe Bags)
    Cafe Bag users who like Aplix® hook and loop closure could use some of the netbooks Soft Cells.

Adding O rings in the back pocket would also be easier as a design standpoint.
    Using the current Cafe Bag design Tom and TB's team could easily add one, two or three O rings in the back pocket.
    One on each side and one in the middle.

I don't think that a row of O rings would be esthetically pleasing.

What do you think?
    Last edited by backpack; 08-15-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Backpack: I have to agree with you! The o rings are seemingly the best solution. I use a zippered medium pouch tethered to an inside o ring in the open back pouch. It works great but I would prefer it be tethered to an o ring in the back leaving the inside o ring available for other uses. BTW, I took a smallish key ring circle (one of those things you have have turn your keys around to attach them) on to a TB key lanyard -- it makes attaching multiple pouches much easier and I can move the bunch to a different bag if needed!
    Last edited by Nana8; 08-15-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added info

Nana8, your solution is much more elegant than mine.

I will borrow it when I need to use my Cafe Bag on a more formal occasion.

Glad it is helpful! Up to this point I have had 5 pouches attached to the ring -- very useful for smallish things one simply needs!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0