solution for portable recording studio

i have a portable recording studio made up of:

* usb audio capture device.

* microphone.

* usb cable.

* xlr cable.

* tripod tabletop microphone stand.

* macbook.

i'd like to be able to safely transport it, and i thought that the properly sized soft cell or padded organizer pouches would be the right way to do this.

i already carry my macbook in a soft cell.

a soft cell could be used for the usb audio interface. its dimensions are 164 mm x 133 mm x 64 mm (6.5" x 5.25" x 2.5625").

a padded organizer pouch could be used for the microphone. its dimensions are 160mm x 50mm diameter (6.5" x 2" diameter).

the cables and microphone stand can go inside of a medium organizer pouch.

what do you think?

is there a demand for soft cells and padded organizer pouches in sizes that would accommodate these articles?

any other suggestions on how i should do this?

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm not sure I have an answer but your audio capture device got me thinking about headphone amps again, and I really don't need to look at those right now.

It would be hard to suggest something for this setup because of all the different shapes of the objects. The worst is probably the mic. With a collection of items like this you almost have to think that a briefcase with egg crate style foam padding would be best since it would hold everything in place and protect at the same time.

I was going to suggest a brain cell but you already have the soft cell. I have a new work laptop and it's smaller than my last one so my brain cell has a gap now. I may switch to a smaller brain cell but I think that gap can be used to store other items like a mouse or cords. Having a gap like that could be useful. The nice thing being it's all in one package.

Have you considered (Domke Lens wraps) and just your usual bag? I have a few of these and use them for my lenses but I would imagine they can do just about anything. With the item wrapped you can just drop it in something like an Imago and have no worries I would think.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi pretzelb,

yes, the idea is to be able to carry these items inside the large cafe bag, ego or smart alec. i want to protect them individually.

the microphone actually fits in my pen/pencil clear organizer pouch. so a padded one of the same size (maybe slightly wider) would keep the microphone well protected. the beta 58a can take abuse and keep on ticking - so i could technically get away with using the clear organizer pouch. but i prefer to protect it inside a padded pouch :).

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    I'm not sure I have an answer but your audio capture device got me thinking about headphone amps again, and I really don't need to look at those right now.

It would be hard to suggest something for this setup because of all the different shapes of the objects. The worst is probably the mic. With a collection of items like this you almost have to think that a briefcase with egg crate style foam padding would be best since it would hold everything in place and protect at the same time.

I was going to suggest a brain cell but you already have the soft cell. I have a new work laptop and it's smaller than my last one so my brain cell has a gap now. I may switch to a smaller brain cell but I think that gap can be used to store other items like a mouse or cords. Having a gap like that could be useful. The nice thing being it's all in one package.

Have you considered (Domke Lens wraps) and just your usual bag? I have a few of these and use them for my lenses but I would imagine they can do just about anything. With the item wrapped you can just drop it in something like an Imago and have no worries I would think.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Checkout the website below for more info on setting
    up a mobile studio at various budget levels:

http://transom.org/

You're off to a good start!!!
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Volunteer Moderator
    thanks tom!

i'm really happy with the edirol ua25ex for the audio capture. the shure beta 58a is a fantastic microphone for not too much money. and i bring it together on my mac using garage band. i have thought about using logic express, but garage band seems to do what i need.

i wanted a solution that i could easily take with me and so i chose these components.

Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    Checkout the website below for more info on setting
    up a mobile studio at various budget levels:

http://transom.org/

You're off to a good start!!!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0