Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4

    Natural materials - like an "heirloom" bag...?

    I am a new member of the forums, and in the process of choosing my first bag right now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Aeronaut.

    But I have to ask whether or not there are any considerations being had bout combining the ultra-cool, super-smart design thoughts behind TB bags with more traditional materials, like fx waxed cotton or some such. I did a search and there was a conversation where the subject was mentioned and the choice of material was reasoned as being, among other things, for reasons of weight. I totally get that, and I think it would be unnecessary to make bags with brass zippers and bridle leather accents, etc.. They would weigh a ton!

    But imagine a bag like the Aeronaut, except not made from nylon/cordura, but from a good, sturdy canvas textile of some search. Something that would age well and gain some character over time..?

    I just think it would be really cool, and with the resurgence of artisanal american products made using old school products and craftsmanship, it seems like it would be a good match. Or is it just me?

    Comments appreciated!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,807
    Canvas textile is good except it is not water repellent and it can tear easily if mistreated.

    In those days of penalty for checking bags, overhead bins fill up quickly, thanks to those bulky wheeled "carry ons". If you happen to be one of the last to board, you might be asked to check your bag.

    Are you going to feel comfortable seeing it tossed into the cargo haul and thinking of it being scrapped by the carousel belt?

    I hate, even the idea, of checking my TB bags, but I know that TB's tough cordura / ballistic nylon will be up to the challenge.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-04-2009 at 12:56 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4
    That's a really good point - I was thinking more along the line of waxed cancas, heavy gauge material - I have several larger bags, that are only for checking in, which have stood the test of travel for years now. But they are nowhere neear as well designed or organised as TB bags, and they're too large for carry-on.

  4. #4
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,456
    There's a small chance you might see something like this from us this year. We wouldn't claim it's more durable or better material than the Cordura or ballistic nylon because in our opinion, it isn't - but it would be a cool way of using something that would get tossed anyway.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    There's a small chance you might see something like this from us this year. We wouldn't claim it's more durable or better material than the Cordura or ballistic nylon because in our opinion, it isn't - but it would be a cool way of using something that would get tossed anyway.
    Exactly! I don't by any stretch think they are better/more durable materials, and I am sorry if I gave that impression, just different.

    I'll be quiet now and wait to see what comes out TBHQ :-) I'm sure it'll be awesome!

  6. #6
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,456
    Rippley,

    Don't be quiet! There's nothing wrong with your suggestion, and I hope you continue to post! backpack made good points in regards to why we wouldn't, say, make an Aeronaut or Brain Bag out of such material - but that doesn't mean we wouldn't ever make a limited edition Shop Bag or Cafe Bag out of it (while fully disclosing the durability of the material being used.)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    29
    I will repeat what I have posted before:
    I have a J. Peterman waxed canvas duffel that I have used for many years. It is my first choice for short trips. It lacks a space for tickets on the outside and is smallish, but I love that bag. It looks better as it ages.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North East, USA
    Posts
    117
    At an IT conference I attended last year, the theme was Green. They handed out the Targus EcoSmart Grove Messenger bag.

    It still sits in the corner of my home office unused; but I took a look at it before I left for work this morning. While it's not as strong as my Super Ego, it looks sturdy enough for normal laptop duty. I'm wondering if TB could use some of the processes they use for this bag on one of his?

    According to the website, "The Targus Grove™ Messenger is designed to fit most 15.4” laptops. As part of the Targus EcoSmart™ Family of Products, the Grove Messenger is PVC-free and features recyclable plastic accents and nickel-free metal to reduce the amount of toxins released into the environment."

    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

  9. #9
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    As part of the Targus EcoSmart™ Family of Products, the Grove Messenger is PVC-free and features recyclable plastic accents and nickel-free metal to reduce the amount of toxins released into the environment."
    Our bags are already PVC-free (urethane coatings on fabrics and urethane for clear windows) and nickel-free. I don't think we knew that made us "green" - it was just an obvious (and fairly easy) choice not to use those materials.

    We did switch to urethane for the clear plastic products a while ago, and will write an article for the blog about this soon.

    We use fabrics (1050d ballistic nylon, our dyneema rip-stop) made and dyed in the U.S.A. or Japan - countries that have stricter environmental regulations than other countries who manufacture the currently very popular (and not so good quality) 1680 ballistic nylon. See this blog post.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Rippley View Post
    Exactly! I don't by any stretch think they are better/more durable materials, and I am sorry if I gave that impression, just different.

    I'll be quiet now and wait to see what comes out TBHQ :-) I'm sure it'll be awesome!
    So sorry Rippley didn't mean to say that I thought you said that they were more durable.

    I just had a picture of TB bags on the carousel and I got hyperventilated! Lol

    So sorry.

    Now that Darcy is mentioning the cute everyday bags in that material, let me bow to your wisdom Rippley. :)

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North East, USA
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Our bags are already PVC-free (urethane coatings on fabrics and urethane for clear windows) and nickel-free. I don't think we knew that made us "green" - it was just an obvious (and fairly easy) choice not to use those materials.

    We did switch to urethane for the clear plastic products a while ago, and will write an article for the blog about this soon.

    We use fabrics (1050d ballistic nylon, our dyneema rip-stop) made and dyed in the U.S.A. or Japan - countries that have stricter environmental regulations than other countries who manufacture the currently very popular (and not so good quality) 1680 ballistic nylon. See this blog post.
    I did not know that Darcy! You guys are ahead of your time!
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

  12. #12
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I did not know that Darcy! You guys are ahead of your time!
    We should probably tell people! :)

    BTW: A lot of cheaper fabrics made overseas have a PVC instead of urethane coating.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Georgia coast
    Posts
    39
    I vote for waxed canvas...it's waterproof, extremely durable, and takes on a great character as it ages. I have two camera bags made of the stuff and love it!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by suden View Post
    I vote for waxed canvas...it's waterproof, extremely durable, and takes on a great character as it ages. I have two camera bags made of the stuff and love it!
    Exactly what I was thinking - Bihn design in classic materials. Brings tears of joy to my eyes just thinking about it...


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0