Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tzporah
  • 1 Post By Darcy
  • 1 Post By wennefer

Thread: Swift as more than a knitting bag...?

Swift as more than a knitting bag...?

I got my swift a couple of weeks ago and have been putting it through it's paces.

One of the things I've discovered is that my 13 inch MacBook will fit VERY snugly in the bag tucked behind an empty inner pocket. No matter how I tried, I couldn't get it to work with any of the computer cases I have. They were just too wide at the top to fit under the pocket.

I couldn't believe how easy it was to carry my laptop in the swift. I could barely tell I had it in there. I like the idea of having a "non traditional" lap top bag for those times I carry it around (I don't schlep it to work everyday... but occasionally take it for a shift or to knitting group).

I guess my question is: Could the swift be made either a little taller, or the pocket made with a bit more lee-way for tucking stuff behind it?

Since I finally pulled out my winter coat, I found one other small issue... The straps on the swift don't fit over my shoulder easily when I'm in the coat. Granted, I'm not a small girl and I wear a very large and fluffy coat.. but another inch or two would make all the difference.

I wish the Swift had one clear pocket and one opaque pocket. I would love to get one to use as a project bag/slash tote, but the two clear pockets stop me from doing so. There are personal items that I would like to carry in one of the pockets that I don't necessarily want exposed for all the world to see. If it had one pocket of each type, then I think it would have the best of both worlds!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

The solution is to place the object into a Medium Pouch then into the pocket.

The Pouches provide great privacy when needed, I speak from experience, I now use only TB pouches (both regular and clear) for carrying all my personal and needlework supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The solution is to place the object into a Medium Pouch then into the pocket.
    I had thought about doing that, but I have neck/back/arm muscle issues and don't want to add any extra weight (all those extra ounces add up to pain!)

I guess I'll just have to make do with my Lux! ;-)
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    We might make a larger Swift (also maybe with longer handles) in the future. Or it might be a larger, different style of knitting bag altogether.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Jill View Post
    I had thought about doing that, but I have neck/back/arm muscle issues and don't want to add any extra weight (all those extra ounces add up to pain!)

I guess I'll just have to make do with my Lux! ;-)

A medium pouch in dyneema is really light weight I think there have been some
    made with no clear window, all fabric.

It really weights nothing, I use a Convertible Packing Cube/Shoulder Bag in the main pocket of my everyday Swift and whether it is there or not I cannot feel the difference.

A medium pouch is even lighter.

Just a suggestion. :)

PS:Completely getting it about the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Or it might be a larger, different style of knitting bag altogether.
    I am actually using my Imago as a knitting bag and everyday bag as well.

As it has no velcro, and the only appreciable zipper is on the front, it is a great messenger-style design for a knitting bag that doesn't scream "KNITTING". The interior pouch pockets are deep; I can use one for my DPNs and one for my circular needles. The Stuff Sack keeps my project from falling out (a problem with my previous bag), and I could easily put two Sacks in the bag with room to spare for books and/or patterns. Plus, I can pull out my project and have the flap closed without the yarn being caught in velcro or zippers (a problem with my previous bag).

If Tom is considering expanding the knitting bag line, a slightly larger (~1000 cm3) messenger-style bag may be an idea, may be with a small pocket on the front flap or a covered zipper on the front with an organizer like with the Brain bag. I'd still keep the little zippered pockets on the side, though.
    Imago in cocoa/cocoa/wasabi, Medium Cafe Bag in plum/wasabi, Swift in cork, steel stuff sack, steel pen/pencil pouch, plum clear organizer wallet, small cork pouch and steel/cork/wasabi Imago

I tried to shove everything I could get into my Swift into my Imago and it just didn't work. The laptop takes up too much room in the Imago. I will admit... I think I like the idea of a larger Imago.

The reason I asked for a larger swift is simply style. It would be nice to have the laptop bag that doesn't scream "Laptop bag"

I actually didn't realize you had a Imago... I just put my laptop (MacBook 13") and yeah, not too much room.

I've never seen the Swift in person, actually, so I'm not certain really how much it holds, although I've looked at many an online picture...
    Imago in cocoa/cocoa/wasabi, Medium Cafe Bag in plum/wasabi, Swift in cork, steel stuff sack, steel pen/pencil pouch, plum clear organizer wallet, small cork pouch and steel/cork/wasabi Imago

Quote Originally Posted by cancoi View Post

I've never seen the Swift in person, actually, so I'm not certain really how much it holds, although I've looked at many an online picture...
    It holds an amazing amount... I recently used it as my personal item for a plane trip and posted my packing list on another thread... but basically I took my laptop with power adapter, two sock knitting bags, a paperback book, 0.6L sigg bottle and other assorted snacks, knitting notions and normal purse stuff (wallet, phone, passport, etc)

Oh... sounds great. That is a good amount of stuff, actually. I'll have to consider... another TB bag. Funny that.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread...

I've started taking a Yoga class and they always run out of Yoga blocks. So I discovered that the Swift is a great bag for carrying Yoga paraphenalia (minus the mat). I use a medium Western Flyer packing cube for a Yoga blanket, top, pants, and a cardigan. I also carry two small Yoga bricks, a water bottle (the Tom Bihn Liberty bottle), and flip flops. Wallet, keys, and iPhone go into one of the clear pockets. What a great bag!
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We might make a larger Swift (also maybe with longer handles) in the future. Or it might be a larger, different style of knitting bag altogether.
    The tall girls of the world would thank you! The Little Swift handles were too short for me.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0