Clear Packing Cubes

I looooove my Clear Quarter Packing Cube. it travels with Large Cafe Bag(s) at all time (it has also caught the eyes of the TSA ladies).

I would love it if the Packing Cubes designed to fit the Aeronaute and
    the Western Flyer had clear vinyl where mesh is currently placed.

Vinyl allows viewing of my stuff and most important keep the content clean if I drop the container.

I switched immediately from all fabric Yarn Stuff Sack to clear bottom Stuff Sack because of this.

I can check in a hurry, if I have all my yarns for a particular project before going somewhere I have to wait in line, how cool is that?

Super Moderator
    Question (for Darcy?) --

Do you have any estimate for the lifespan of the the clear plastic used will last? I've had some bags with parts made from a clear plastic (perhaps not Tom Bihn quality, in fact certainly not, but I'm not sure where the limits are imposed by sheer chemical reality), and the plastic both yellowed and brittled after a while, which is why I tend to distrust clear plastic.

timothy

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    backpack - You'll definitely see more products with Clear Urethane Vinyl. But, sadly, probably not full-size Packing Cubes - the Clear Vinyl is a much heavier in weight material than the Dyneema. I will post your review of your Clear Quarter Packing Cube on the blog.

timothy - There's various levels of quality of clear vinyl. We use the highest-quality Urethane clear vinyl (we used to use PVC but switched to Urethane because it's more "green".) We've tested it every which way we can think of - it's pretty tough stuff. Not as tough as ballistic nylon, but plenty strong for Clear Organizer Pouches, Clear Bottom Yarn Stuff Sacks, Clear Quarter Packing Cube, the Swift, etc.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    backpack - You'll definitely see more products with Clear Urethane Vinyl. But, sadly, probably not full-size Packing Cubes - the Clear Vinyl is a much heavier in weight material than the Dyneema. I will post your review of your Clear Quarter Packing Cube on the blog.
    I like the Clear Quarter Packing Cube a lot, and consider it, together with the large and small size Packing Cubes to be the most useful packing cube combinations for travel. However, I prefer to use the Dyneema or mesh packing cubes with my Aeronaut, both for the reason that Darcy gives that the clear urethane is thicker and less pliant, and so it's easier to pack down clothes more flexibly with the Dyneema and mesh. I use the clear quarter cubes for electronics and laptop hard drives and cables. You can nicely fit two such hard drives in enclosures in one side of the clear quarter cubes, and having the thicker clear urethane offers more protection as well as letting the TSA folks see the contents. The clear quarter cube travels in my personal carryon, while the other packing cubes go in my Aeronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

timothy - There's various levels of quality of clear vinyl. We use the highest-quality Urethane clear vinyl (we used to use PVC but switched to Urethane because it's more "green".) We've tested it every which way we can think of - it's pretty tough stuff. Not as tough as ballistic nylon, but plenty strong for Clear Organizer Pouches, Clear Bottom Yarn Stuff Sacks, Clear Quarter Packing Cube, the Swift, etc.
    I think I had a feeling that Vinyl was heavier than Dyneema, lately I have tested my Convertible Packing Cube and My Dynemma Backpack/Packing cube by themselves and I cannot believe how feather light they are.

I thought my Clear Quarter Packing Cube felt heavier when I first got it (as in when it came out of the TB box), it got assigned a daily task pretty quickly and is now full to the brim.

I have used my clear window items in the past but the Urethane used on TB's product is
    different, more supple and it feels stronger.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-13-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0