Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Knitters: How big should the larger Stuff Sack be?

We've received a few requests for a larger version of the Stuff Sack.

My question for you is: how big should the larger Stuff Sack be and should it be "fatter" or "taller" or both?

The current Stuff Sack is 6.25" in diameter and roughly 6" tall.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Both taller and wider.
    Any possibility of making a couple of sizes like the go knit?
    http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Bags_...ouch-4330.html

I like their sizes: Medium: 11" high by 8"; large: 13" high by 11"
    For me it depends on how large my project is. I think I'd prefer the medium because it would fit in my Swift. Realistically though the large would be most practical for me since most of my larger projects would fit in it. With a large size stuff sack, it would be helpful to have an additional way to carry it. I'd probably carry it by itself instead of with my Swift and put everything I needed in it for that project.

I agree that taller and wider would be ideal. I've been using mine for socks or scarves, and I have to make sure to coil my circ needle or else the tips stick out the top of the bag.

I often carry the stuff sack on its own as a small, portable project bag. I have no problem using the drawstring as a handle, and I've been known to use the clip to fasten the bag to my purse strap.

Sometimes my needle tips manage to poke through the dyneema fabric, which is a little worrisome as I don't want the tips to break or poke something I don't want poked!

Thanks for asking, Darcy!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrae View Post
    Both taller and wider.
    Any possibility of making a couple of sizes like the go knit?
    http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Bags_...ouch-4330.html

I like their sizes: Medium: 11" high by 8"; large: 13" high by 11"
    For me it depends on how large my project is. I think I'd prefer the medium because it would fit in my Swift.
    Something like the 8" diameter medium would fit nicely in the Swift -- maybe a bit smaller (7.25" diameter x 9" tall) to provide good clearance access to the zippered pockets of the Swift.

Definitely taller. The double points that I use are 8 inches long.

I guess size really depends on what you're using it for.

Socks, mittens and gloves just aren't that big, so I'd keep the same diameter, but go up to at least 10 inches high. If you make it 11 inches tall, then people who use short straights would be able to fit their 10 inch straights into it.

Scarves and shawls, maybe a bit wider...

I tend to use my bags for transporting small projects without taking my whole knitting bag. Any chance on a small zipper pocket either on the inside or outside for holding a tape measure, stitch markers and a darning needle?

I also tend to clip my bags to my belt loops, so moving the clip more to the top would make it easier to use while walking around.

I would appreciate a taller version. It could be a tiny bit wider too, but that's less important. I'm more concerned about enclosing needles. I usually wind my yarn into balls, but occasionally I have something like a skein of Brown Sheep that is tall and I have to moosh it down a bit to fit in the stack. 11" would probably be a good height to fit a wider variety of needles.

Another observation - sometimes I manage to get my yarn tangled up with the drawstring hardware. I wonder if that might be less likely to happen if the grommet was placed in between the drawstring side and clip side of the bag?
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

8" wide would still make it easy to fit in the Swift. 10 - 12" high would give lots more space for projects! I knit a lot of scarves and that size would be perfect for them.

I second Heidi Jill's suggestion about moving the grommet. I'm running into the same issue.

(How much do I LOVE you guys for reading my mind...I was just thinking the other day that I'd love to have a larger stuff sack!)

I love the zippered pocket idea! Definitely a feature I would use often.
    Last edited by indigo; 09-10-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added sentence

Smile

I'd like to see a larger stuff sack which would:

Be comparable to the size of the Convertible Shoulder Cube. (I'd use the Shoulder Cube for a yarn bag 'cept for the zipper and no grommet.)

I'd like to see small o-rings or d-rings or triangle rings for attaching a shoulder strap. One on each side of the top. I'd like to be able to swivel it around to the front without taking it off my shoulder. I think we've all left things behind on public transport - and never seen it again. (There are times I wish my Swift had d-rings or triangle rings for slapping a long shoulder strap on. Can't use the o-rings - they're already being used!)

It would be great if the larger bag could also hold a 1 1/2 or 2-liter bottle (or at the very least a 1 liter with room to spare) so it could do double duty when traveling, which is why I'd like to put it on a shoulder strap.

And I absolutely love the idea of an outside zippered pocket. Ideally, at least Small Pouch size, or even the Medium. Oh, one other thing: an o-ring in the pocket for scissors!
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Jill View Post
    Another observation - sometimes I manage to get my yarn tangled up with the drawstring hardware. I wonder if that might be less likely to happen if the grommet was placed in between the drawstring side and clip side of the bag?
    Mine gets tangled in the clip. I haven't figured out how to prevent that. I don't know what changes could prevent that.

I use the clear quarter packing cube for my knitting accessories. It's perfect for seeing all my knitting accessories and organizing them by side. It also matches the Swift. If a stuff sack design includes an external pocket, I'd like to see it with clear sides like the cube.
    Last edited by mrae; 09-10-2008 at 10:25 PM.

keep it light ...

Quote Originally Posted by aiethabell View Post
    I'd like to see small o-rings or d-rings or triangle rings for attaching a shoulder strap. One on each side of the top. I'd like to be able to swivel it around to the front without taking it off my shoulder. I think we've all left things behind on public transport - and never seen it again. (There are times I wish my Swift had d-rings or triangle rings for slapping a long shoulder strap on. Can't use the o-rings - they're already being used!)

It would be great if the larger bag could also hold a 1 1/2 or 2-liter bottle (or at the very least a 1 liter with room to spare) so it could do double duty when traveling, which is why I'd like to put it on a shoulder strap.

And I absolutely love the idea of an outside zippered pocket. Ideally, at least Small Pouch size, or even the Medium. Oh, one other thing: an o-ring in the pocket for scissors!
    now, now, let's not get carried away! ;~)

seriously, one of the things I luv about the Stuff Sack is that it's *simple* - it's designed not to stand on its own, but to be used as an organizational tool that goes into some other, outer bag. If you load it up with pockets and straps and such, all that crap will just get tangled with the yarn. You'd also have to go to a sturdier, heavier-weight fabric, and I like that it's so light - more room for more yarn! Esp. if it's gonna be larger to accommodate heavier projects.

Maybe an additional D- or O-ring for attaching a pouch for tools, if one is so inclined? but that's the max I'd go. (if it were up to me, of course.) ;~)

~ hb33 ~

Darcy,

Any hints on if/when a new bag will be coming? I'm trying to decide if I should look seriously for a new bag at Rhinebeck this coming weekend.

Thanks!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Changing the diameter is the tougher part: if it's just making the Stuff Sack taller, we can introduce the new size in the next couple of weeks.

Can all of you who want a taller Stuff Sack tell me how many inches taller exactly than the current one you'd want it to be?

Also: we're on schedule to get our Yellow Dyneema in the next 2-3 weeks, so expect Yellow Stuff Sacks soon!
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Good news about the yellow.
    If the sack is just going to be taller, I'd like to see it a minimum of 11" and preferably 15". I'd like to be able to close the sack without having my needles stick out. When I knit with straight needles, that's not an option. They generally come in either 10" or 14" and I'm assuming, possibly incorrectly, that an extra inch would allow the sac to close.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0