Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Knitters: How big should the larger Stuff Sack be?

Smile

Thanks so much for my large solar stuff sack! My knitting projects are small enough to fit in the original stuff sack, so I had to think for a bit to come up with a use. Then it hit me - the sack is the perfect size to carry my drop spindle and a good amount of wool to spin! My largest spindle fits in there - I am so excited! Will try to post a photo soon!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Thanks for the large stuff sack! I haven't checked the boards for a while so it came as a complete surprise! I happily started stuffing it last night and it works well...though it would be great if it were even 1" wider...still narrow enough to fit nicely in the Swift, but wide enough to get a nice big yarn cake and half finished scarf/shawl in there. When I put it in my Swift, the opening is at the perfect height for accessing my knitting while on the subway or streetcar. With the smaller stuff sack, I have to dig around in my bag for it...with the new taller one, the opening is right where I need it to be. Well done!

I'm going to put together a review of the stuff sacks for my blog...will let you know when I post it. May not be for a couple of weeks though...work is crazy busy.

THAT is BRILLIANT! Going to try the large stuff sack out as a spindle bag. I think it will be ideal.

I posted photos in the Bag Review section.
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Okay, I'm in love...

I took my bag to the family's for Thanksgiving... What I realized as I was packing it was that it holds a magazine without bending or mutilating it!

I would like a clip on the inside for a small pouch to hold all my notions. It took me (what felt like) forever to find my tape measure on the bottom of the bag with all the yarn I had in there.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzporah View Post
    Okay, I'm in love...

I took my bag to the family's for Thanksgiving... What I realized as I was packing it was that it holds a magazine without bending or mutilating it!

I would like a clip on the inside for a small pouch to hold all my notions. It took me (what felt like) forever to find my tape measure on the bottom of the bag with all the yarn I had in there.
    Hi Tzporah,

You should be able to clip a small or mini-sized clear organizer pouch to one of the D-rings of your Swift. Take a look at the photos at the left side of the product page for the Swift, or go to Indigodragonfly's review and scroll down about a third of the way to the 7th photo. Each white "x" marks the position of a D-ring inside the Swift that you can use for clipping on a clear organizer pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi Tzporah,

You should be able to clip a small or mini-sized clear organizer pouch to one of the D-rings of your Swift. Take a look at the photos at the left side of the product page for the Swift, or go to Indigodragonfly's review and scroll down about a third of the way to the 7th photo. Each white "x" marks the position of a D-ring inside the Swift that you can use for clipping on a clear organizer pouch.
    I'm carrying it as a separate bag. One of the things I like about the pouches is that I can take the project without having to take my whole knitting bag. I have a few smaller bags that I clip to my jeans and walk around with when I'm knitting socks on the go.

Thanks for Large Stuff Sack, Darcy. :)

I have a couple of yarn cones one fits great into a Stuff Sack but it gets crowded if I try to fit two.

The Large Stuff Sack can fit four cones of cotton yarn if there is two on the bottom, two on top. However, two of the cones have to be upside down.
    Or it can fit two cones and at least two small round skeins of cotton yarn.
    I believe I could fit my whole collection of 4 small round skeins and 3 medium elongated skeins of cotton yarn in.

The clip can fit a Small or a Mini Organizer pouch, the hight of the Large Packing Cube alleviates the problem I found when I clip a pouch on the regular Packing Cube, even a Mini Organizer Pouch drags on the floor .

I do not knit but use my yarn for plastic canvas work. I use the Packing Cube Backpack to store/transport and protect my big sized projects.

This is what I can fit into a Stuff Sack:
    A couple of smaller plastic canvas 4" squares, mini spools of yarn, a mini organizer pouch for needles and my rounded kid scissors latched on they C-clip.

Non yarn use:

The Large Sack could hold/hide a one litter bottle with no problem (very good on public transport or places where "no drink is allowed and it is 90 degrees outside)
    It's size would be a perfect lunch bag for the those nice days of Spring, early Summer and Fall on the campus lawn.

I really think it can be a great everyday lunch bag, however I want to know
    how it would react to grease stains.
    I don't mind doing that to a bargain nylon bag but the horror of staining my TB bags makes me shiver.
    Uh! lining the Sack with a plastic bag might be a solution

Due to it's color, it would be a great emergency bag for commuter's cycling or taking public transport on dark winter evening. Anyone can use an extra scarf, a pair of warmer gloves or leg warmers etc..

The color reminds me of an orange novelty, drawstring, cheap nylon bag decorated with the white outline of a favorite comics character. I got the bag when I was in the first or second grade.
    The bag, a favorite of mine for many years, fell apart at the seams, after a few years despite the great care I took to handle it gently.

Thank you Darcy for bringing that memory back. I know that this Stuff Sack will be with me for many many years.

I want one in gray ballistic nylon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzporah View Post
    I'm carrying it as a separate bag. One of the things I like about the pouches is that I can take the project without having to take my whole knitting bag. I have a few smaller bags that I clip to my jeans and walk around with when I'm knitting socks on the go.
    I clip a mini organizer pouch and the C-clip that hold my scissors into the string closures of my Stuff Sacks.

However I always do it when the bottom of the bag is supported by a surface or inside of a bigger TB bag, like the Brain Bag or the Swift.

Would it be ok to do that if the bottom of the bag was not supported?
    Darcy? Tom?
    Last edited by backpack; 11-29-2008 at 08:15 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    backpack - I think that shouldn't be a problem.
    eWalker likes this.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I find that I'm carrying it as a separate bag because it holds everything I need. With the smaller ones, I need the Swift or something else in addition to the bag. My larger bag was the perfect size to hold the scarf I just completed. Now I'm making a hat that could fit in one of the smaller bags. What couldn't fit in the smaller one are the additional stitch cards, pattern, scissors,knitting gauge, cable needle, tape measure etc that the larger bag is now holding.

Hi, new poster here and just discovered Tom Bihn in the past three weeks.

I am completely interested in the large stuff sack, specifically for knitting larger items as others have said. I don't spin (yet), but I think the spindle idea is fantastic and am planning on sending one to a friend once they are available.

I love all the uses!

Question Date Large Stuff Sack Available?

Finally, a bag large enough to hold two Trekking XL sock yarn skeins at once; I have big feet and I do two socks at a time. I notice no date has been listed on the blog or on the forum as to when this large stuff sack will be available for pre-order. Heck, I don't care what color (although I really like the original steel), I just want one!

Any idea?
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    We're hoping to have the Tall Stuff Sack as available for pre-order tomorrow. :)
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Yippee! Can't wait!
    Imago in cocoa/cocoa/wasabi, Medium Cafe Bag in plum/wasabi, Swift in cork, steel stuff sack, steel pen/pencil pouch, plum clear organizer wallet, small cork pouch and steel/cork/wasabi Imago

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0